Mapex Saturn blue sparkle delivered

Now that is a nice kit and a beautiful finish as well. Saturns sound absolutely amazing with their thin shells and inner ply of walnut. And you got it at an unbelievable price as well. The question is, when are you going to find the time play the RMV and the Taye.

That cant be used...Its to perfect

Love the kit. Saturn may be my next choice so any chance of a review or audio?

Thank you. I will give a more detailed review after I have some time to really check things out, but until then, these are some reviews that helped me make my decision -

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=132747

(the following review is in a zip file format when you read the first post in the thread, needs to be opened)
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=141086&highlight=saturn+review

A professional review from the Mike Dolbear site - http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/story.asp?StoryID=1031

Last edited:
Your pics show off the blue sparkle finish better than most. I was about to buy a saturn (with the really good help from yourself) but I ended up with unexpected amazing offer I couldn't say no too. I saw on one review that the Saturn toms 'Sound just like the toms sound when you drum in your head' which I thought was nice lol. Enjoy you kit I'll look forward to reading your review.

very very nice, dingbat. The finish is absolutely georgous. I am really impressed with the Saturn. You got to take of the tom mount on the kick drum though -- that's an eyesore on that beautiful kit. Plus taking it off will show off more the that finish!

I do like the rail mounted tom mount though -- wish my starclassic came like that.

Thanks FE, I will indeed be taking off the tom mounting platform from the kick, I need to order (supplied in packages of 4) replacement lugs for the top two lugs, as they are a bit shorter in profile due to sitting on top of the base plate of the mounting platform, else the tension rods will not line up with the inserts properly. Since I've tinkered with them a little more today, my initial impressions in placing sound from darkest to brightest would be in the following order - Saturn, RMV, Taye. The two walnut inner plies do indeed have a profound effect on the sound of the drums, considering that the other 4 plys are maple, and that the Taye SM I have is also a six ply premium grade maple shell of almost the same thickness, yet sounds quite a bit brighter by comparison. The 14 inch FT sounds like a 16 inch FT, it's that deep. The snare drum has similar sonic qualities to an aluminum snare but with less dryness and more pleasing sonic ring, based on comparing to an older Mapex (black panther predecessor) aluminum snare that I own. This is a versital set, but based on the depth and darkness of sound, it would be especially killer in a rock/metal environment or anywhere else a deep dark sound is warranted.

Haha it may make me the most hated man on drummerworld but a very good endorsed drummer friend of my dad had an DW he toured with and just does not use and he needed to clear some room. Ill get some pics up and tell the full story in a about a week.

Excellent, good on ya, I look forward to hearing about and seeing your lucky score!

Thanks FE, I will indeed be taking off the tom mounting platform from the kick, I need to order (supplied in packages of 4) replacement lugs for the top two lugs, as they are a bit shorter in profile due to sitting on top of the base plate of the mounting platform, else the tension rods will not line up with the inserts properly. Since I've tinkered with them a little more today, my initial impressions in placing sound from darkest to brightest would be in the following order - Saturn, RMV, Taye. The two walnut inner plies do indeed have a profound effect on the sound of the drums, considering that the other 4 plys are maple, and that the Taye SM I have is also a six ply premium grade maple shell of almost the same thickness, yet sounds quite a bit brighter by comparison. The 14 inch FT sounds like a 16 inch FT, it's that deep. The snare drum has similar sonic qualities to an aluminum snare but with less dryness and more pleasing sonic ring, based on comparing to an older Mapex (black panther predecessor) aluminum snare that I own. This is a versital set, but based on the depth and darkness of sound, it would be especially killer in a rock/metal environment or anywhere else a deep dark sound is warranted.

wow the saturn sounds KILLER. i love deep sounding kits. Cant wait to hear it.

Now that is a nice kit and a beautiful finish as well. Saturns sound absolutely amazing with their thin shells and inner ply of walnut. And you got it at an unbelievable price as well. The question is, when are you going to find the time play the RMV and the Taye.

Thank you. The sad truth is that I am so busy with work and school at night, I won't be able to play them nearly enough, kinda expensive for eye candy, huh? I figure these will be my "retirement" kits that I'll swing away on when I am a ripe old age ;-). Honestly, I had to leave the last band I was in a month ago because I am stretched so thin, but when I'm finally done with the program of study I'm in, which is not soon enough to May of 2008, I'll have a life again and will get back into playing live full force and will have these great kits at the ready.

Nice, Nice score.......

We will NOT be competing on kits anymore......Fat Elvis and I are done.....isn't that right Elvis????

Again congrats....beautiful color....

Thanks Larlev. Count me in the done crowd, I'm finished too, I've had my fill but it was a wild ride while it lasted! Can't wait to see the results of your kit building adventure. I however have a suspicion that Fat Elvis still carries the kit virus...and we all know that there is no vaccination or antibiotic to rid ourselves of a virus. Looks like it will just have to take it's course and see how FE fares at the end!

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, If your done i am Donald Trump !!!!!
As for the kits i did sell my 25 yr old Emerald set but i still have the wonderful Crimson LX. And i will continue to have it until i see the new 2007 Sonor line @ Namm in 2 weeks.. I am eyeing a new Sonor S class or maybe even a Delite ;-)
Sorry to hear you had to leave your band, they had a great sound and i know how happy you were playing live again.....Hopefully i will see you @ Namm...........................Cheers

Ah that must sound amazing. Excellent buy it looks like. That sparkle is magnificiant. Its cool seeing it setup for a left.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, If your done i am Donald Trump !!!!!
As for the kits i did sell my 25 yr old Emerald set but i still have the wonderful Crimson LX. And i will continue to have it until i see the new 2007 Sonor line @ Namm in 2 weeks.. I am eyeing a new Sonor S class or maybe even a Delite ;-)
Sorry to hear you had to leave your band, they had a great sound and i know how happy you were playing live again.....Hopefully i will see you @ Namm...........................Cheers

Lucky dog, getting to go to NAMM. If I had known you were looking for a Delite, I would have turned you onto one I saw on ebay shortly before I purchased the Saturn - new kit at a NY music retailer, fusion sized shell pack (10, 12, 14, 20 - sorry not a 22 inch kick) in birds eye maple Blue Azure for a little less than $2000 at the buy it now price, free shipping, no tax, which is a crazy outstanding price for that series. They must have had it on ebay for at least a week, saw a small price drop on it as it got close to Christmas day, then it vanished, someone must have bought it just before Christmas. Really, I'm done, but you can still be Donald Trump if you like ;-) Also, don't know what your gigging situation is, but the band I left is still looking for and trying out drummers, drop them a line through their website if interested (www.theundecidedband.com)

I ordered a 16 inch floor tom about 1.5 months ago, just recieved it a few days ago, here it is with the set. And toms are now hanging off the rack with the mounting platform removed from the bass drum to make it a virgin (dirty old man)!

Attachments

• 16ft side.JPG
    16ft side.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 8,061
  • 16ft front.JPG
    16ft front.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 8,189
Back