To Buy or Not To Buy, that is the question.

Rhett

I am doing some brain storming and I would really appreciate anyone's input who is willing to give it.

Hypothetical scenario:
You have saved up $3500 with the intention of buying a new Taylor guitar b/c you have heard they sound the best. You go to the shop and the Taylor that you want is there, but next to it is a custom made guitar that actually sounds better than the Taylor. The custom guitar costs a little more than the Taylor, but it is still within your budget.

Which one would you buy and why?

It's like buying a drum kit. Does it feel nice? Sound nice? Worth the Value?
I take that into consideration when I buy a guitar or drum kit. How does the neck feel? Are they expensive woods? Do you they have what you'd want?

My dad who plays guitar and had a custom made guitar for him by a local dude for 1,000 or 2,000 and it sounds and feels amazing (never get to play it though). Not to mention my dad's related to the dude someway through his mother.

Check them out, Moon guitars. They're getting sold EVERYWHERE.

I would buy the Gretsch Renown or Gretsch USA kit for sure. Drummer don't buy Guitars.

I don't care about brands as much as sound, if one drum set/ guitar (don't even no what were talking about now lol) sounds better than the other than why not get the one that you like better. Why would you even think about going with the other one just because it says....dw or something.

The one you like best. What other reason for getting one is there?

I don't know, Taylor makes some pretty awesome and expensive guitars. My thoughts on the whole custom vibe is slightly skewed by the fact that if I was off somewhere on the road and something broke how easy would it be to get it fixed? When I applied that to Southern California, just looking at name brands, I love Sonor, but no one around here carries Sonor (except for maybe Pro Drum in Hollywood - a 50 minute drive into the city for me), so if I broke a lug or needed a part for a broken pedal, no chance of getting a spare part as immediately as say, DW parts (everyone plays those out here, go figure).

So when I look at it like that, custom is cool, but not that cool. Besides, I want to appear a little generic because I want my playing to stick out instead. I'd go with the Taylor. Give me a good dreadnaught 810 and I'd be happy ;)

How silly of me. Of course I meant buy a Gretsch guitar. Many to choose from and I especially like the one used by Brian Setzer.

Back