Snare head to help with deeper tone

Terrence R

Silver Member
I'm looking for a snare head that will help give off a deeper tone and lots of body. I understand that tuning is a great factor, but heads certainly do make a difference. I've been using Evans Genera Dry batter snares and like them a lot cause they strongly reduce unwanted overtones. They certainly do help with getting a deeper tone too, but they seem to lack that "thuddy" like body that I'm looking for.
I was thinking about maybe trying a Remo CS X with an underside dot. Logically, it seems like it should work well for what I'm looking for. What's your guy's take on clear snare batter heads? Any more deep "thud" with a clear batter? Maybe something from Remo with a Dot? Dot underneath or on top? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx.

I'm looking for a snare head that will help give off a deeper tone and lots of body. I understand that tuning is a great factor, but heads certainly do make a difference. I've been using Evans Genera Dry batter snares and like them a lot cause they strongly reduce unwanted overtones. They certainly do help with getting a deeper tone too, but they seem to lack that "thuddy" like body that I'm looking for.
I was thinking about maybe trying a Remo CS X with an underside dot. Logically, it seems like it should work well for what I'm looking for. What's your guy's take on clear snare batter heads? Any more deep "thud" with a clear batter? Maybe something from Remo with a Dot? Dot underneath or on top? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx.

AQUARIAN Hi-ENERGY

I think the thud sound is more a product of a coated head. My clear heads (controlled sound, G14) have more high-end and bite than my coated heads (as one would expect). Personally, I'd try a coated G14/X14 or a coated controlled sound X. If you want to go really thick, there's the EC Reverse Dot or Black X/Emperor X. For a thuddy sound- probably a fairly slack batter with cranked reso to desired response, with rimshots for bite if desired.

It sounds like you need a 8x14 rosewood snare with calf heads. But remember that Alan Jackson (Booker T. and MG's Alan Jackson) for that phat back sound with a 6.5 wood snare with common remo ambassador coated heads. And lots of people did it after him with the same heads as well.

If you want a deeper tone, with a lower fundamental (body), just tension the head looser. You could use a Remo Coated Ambassador or Emperor. Maybe add some dampening too.

If you want a tight head, and a deep tone, you need a thicker head. In that case, I would try a Remo Coated Pinstripe.

It sounds like you need a 8x14 rosewood snare with calf heads. But remember that Alan Jackson (Booker T. and MG's Alan Jackson) for that phat back sound with a 6.5 wood snare with common remo ambassador coated heads. And lots of people did it after him with the same heads as well.

Is that what his snare was? I've always heard it was a 5" snare. I've chased that sound many times and read that he used an Acrolite or Supra quite often.

Back