I think I wore out my drum key

Wow, so many years with just that one drum key ? Never lost it ? Never bought another ?
I have I don't know five drum keys, the most useful being the Pearl one tied to to my car key - and many old Tama keys (heart shape). I clearly imagine the key to wore out being the only one ;-) !

I've had my favorite drumkey - my Ludwig Sta-Set multitool key - for over twenty years now and all its tool bits are still going strong. I've never worn out even the cheap drum keys that come with stencil kits... I'm not even sure how one does that.

I've had my favorite drumkey - my Ludwig Sta-Set multitool key - for over twenty years now and all its tool bits are still going strong. I've never worn out even the cheap drum keys that come with stencil kits... I'm not even sure how one does that.

I think part of it might be that not every lug-head is the same. I've seen some that were not so well put together and it can lead to the type of reverse stripping over time. Some are more rounded off than others, some are made from harder or softer alloys... You get the picture.

I think part of it might be that not every lug-head is the same. I've seen some that were not so well put together and it can lead to the type of reverse stripping over time. Some are more rounded off than others, some are made from harder or softer alloys... You get the picture.
For sure. My first kit was a Ruether (stencil kit), which had these horrible tom holders that required a drumkey for making adjustments. I over-cranked and split many drumkeys by trying to keep my toms from sagging or sliding off their posts.

Eventually, I abandoned the drumkey fantasy and just used vice grips, which of course, completely destroyed any semblance of a square head. Then, after discovering that even they were no match for these diabolical mounts, I settled on using duct tape and chopped up Nerf footballs to "isolate" my tom reso hoops from the top of my bass drum and just got used to playing them mounted low. Haha!

Edit: It just occurred to me that one of my snares has drumkey heads for tightening the snares at the butt end. Problem is that they're recessed in the casting in such that my over-engineered Evans drumkey was too big to get in there so I couldn't get a solid grip. Yep, I rounded that sucker out. It was expensive, too. Dang.

I've been using the same Pearl key for over a decade when I gig. Lately I've been noticing that it has been skipping. This has been going on for about 6 months. It never occurred to me before today that they could wear out. I really think I wore it out. I decided to take a look at the business end of the key and yep, it's pretty rounded out. It still works, but not that well. I never would have guessed this would ever be an issue. I will retire it, possibly frame it. It's probably not good for my tension rod ends to be tightened by a rounded out key either.

Has anyone experienced this? I mean how many people use the same drum key for gigs for over a decade besides me?

All the time with pot metal keys, I won't 'buy' them anymore, they do come free with stuff. How do you tell for sure your key is a cheap pot metal job? Magnet. For a pot metal key to last 10 years or more means a lot hi tensioning was not going on.

Which begs the question, is the drum hardware, parts, made any better than the keys from the same company?

Steel tension rods win over pot metal drum keys, so yeah, they (tension rods) are a better material.

Wouldn't it be great if the drum industry was smart enough to make drum keys out of a little bit softer material than the drum hardware is made out of.
That way the key would wear out before the hardware. Gee, I don't know, maybe they already do that..

They are smart enough. Pot metal is cheaper, lighter and wears out/breaks, they can't make money on steel keys, altho there are some out there.

The key that came with my Vector pedal is stainless, partly because Goran wants quality associated with his pedals, but also because the key has an Allen key sticking out of the top of it for pedal adjustments that would wear quickly if made of something softer than hi-carbon or stainless steel.

Eventually, I abandoned the drumkey fantasy and just used vice grips

Hey Larry, this gives me an idea. Stop using drum keys. Start using vice grips. They won't wear out like drum keys.
Please post a picture of you adjusting the tension rods on your Guru set using a pair of vice grips.

Indeed. Everyone knows that you use one key for tightening, & another one for slackening. That way, each key only wears on one facet of the flats, meaning they can switch roles once worn thus doubling their life.

Ptthh - amateurs ;)

Perfect idea !!!

Pssht! Amatuers alright. Use a piano wrench!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wearing out a drumkey? Sounds like a technique issue to me. I imagine a qualified drumkey teacher could straighten you out on that ;)[/

Seriously I think you may have a point. If you would typically place the drum key over the bolt under an angle I wouldn't be surprised if you'd wear out the key (or the bolt) more quickly.

Dutch

So to those who have used the same key for years or who have worn one out, where do you store all the keys you get free with your gear?

Buying a new stand? Probably get a key with it
New pedal? Almost always get a key with it
New snare drum? Unless it's a Guru, you always get a key with it

Which begs the question, what are you doing with all your others?

Drum keys are conscious and they are lazy. They will always try to get out of work. That's why, no matter how many you have, when you need one, you always have to hunt around for one. They know you're looking for them. They hide from us.

I sit here reading this thread like everybody is from a different planet, but it seems I'm the one from a different planet.

I've had the same five drum keys for a bazillion years (like 30) and there's no chance in the world that any of them can wear out... because they're Sonor keys and they make me an old outcast.

I need (read - want) new drums, but only because I spend so much time here and a new "sound" after so many years might just do me some good.
But.. if I end up buying more Sonors I won't be able to help myself and I'll probably order the slotted rods... I'm such a bore.

I suppose there's nothing really wrong with an Android or a cubicle computer so maybe I'll eventually end up with those square rod thingys like you-all.

I have a worn out key or 2. I'll see if I can post a pic later. I don't know if the metal was softer or what.

One was my grandpas who was a jazz drummer who passed away about 28 years ago so that explains the age of it. The other one could have been from overuse, or even may have slipped a few times.. They are not square and kindof round inside.

On that note, I have a few of the old Premier keys that go with a 1960's Premier kit I got from my grandpa which are round with a flat slot down the middle. What a different lug. I have never seen them anywhere else.

Pearl keys were my favorite keys for many years. I only have like 2 of them, one is tied to a string on my home kit, the other was my gigging key.

I like the Gibraltar keys now anyway lol.

I'm dumping Pearl.

I think the lack of technique finally caught up with Uncle. Little more wrist, less elbow. Google Moeller.

I broke a Ludwig drum key many years ago. Peace and goodwill.

Back