Ironwood drum set

That's kind of you and you are a decent person.

And you did ask a legitimate question - this seems to be an exotic wood and was it sustainably taken? I have asked similar questions of others here. We should always consider the environmental impact of our instruments. Sure, instruments account for a tiny fraction of wood used worldwide, but each citizen of Earth needs to consider the impact of their consumption.

Thank you - so many people on forums like to hold grudges and start arguments purely because on the Internet they can remain anonymous, but Id rather not...

Thanks for your advice on my kit thread by the way,

Peace

I am seriously considering getting at least a snare to start and possibly a kit for the studio. I heard the clips on the site and was impressed. The drums sound incredible when recorded flat with no effects. Serious stuff.

Now to choose a snare size....

I think it's gonna be either 6.5" x 14" or 6.5" x 13".

Any suggestions?

I am seriously considering getting at least a snare to start and possibly a kit for the studio. I heard the clips on the site and was impressed. The drums sound incredible when recorded flat with no effects. Serious stuff.

Now to choose a snare size....

I think it's gonna be either 6.5" x 14" or 6.5" x 13".

Any suggestions?

I'm very happy with my 13 by 4 snare, as the 13 inch size gives great focus and snap and it's very sensitive at 4 inches.

If I had to do it over again, I would go with the 13 by 6.5 snare, though. I would like a little more throat from the snare. An ironwood shell gives so much sensitivity that I know a 6.5-inch-deep snare will still be incredibly sensitive, even though it's almost two-thirds deeper than a 4-incher.

Update on kit:

In my never-ending quest to streamline and reduce my hardware, I did this following mod. I removed one of the legs from the DW ride stand (I play open handed, ride on left). I got one of those two-legged DW 5000 hats and removed the legs, clamping it to the "gimp" tripod. The foot plate of the hihat stand locks into place, so it serves as the missing leg of the tripod. So, instead of having up to six leg contact points, I have just two. This frees up room for another foot percussion pedal.

Setup minus cymbals. I put Velcro on the stands and clamp jaws, showing correct location during setup and preventing scratching. Two clamps ensure rock-solid support.
2legs3.jpg

As installed in set. Stand leg placement gives plenty of room for foot pedals.
2legs1.jpg

Close-up. I figure I saved a fair amount of bulk and about six pounds in hardware weight with the mod - which I of course immediately gained back with the second foot percussion pedal. The only downside is that setup is a bit trickier, as a two-leg cymbal stand doesn't stand up very well!
2legs2.jpg

Cool idea. Your pedal setup looks great.

I notice that your talking drum pedal isn't in any of the pictures. Are you not using it anymore?

Very beautiful set, never heard of it before, do you have any videos with it in action, I would love to hear it.

Wow, what genre do you do?? I am just wondering why there is a sitar player there lol.

Wow, what genre do you do?? I am just wondering why there is a sitar player there lol.

Very beautiful set, never heard of it before, do you have any videos with it in action, I would love to hear it.

I do original word fusion music. Check out our band at www.terrasonus.com. So we have the sitar player and other unusual instruments.

Unfortunately, the sound samples on our Web site were recorded in April 2006 and I didn't have the ironwood set playable until September 2006, so I have no recordings of the ironwood set. But getting some recording with it is a priority, as soon as the band scrapes enough dough together to go back to the studio. In the meantime, you can hear sound samples at www.spiritdrums.com.

I really like that kit. I checked into the Talkit mechanical talking drum and.... WOW it's gonna take me a long time to save that much. However, I think I'm gonna start now, because it's intriguing, and I can envision a whole lot of uses.

I really like that kit. I checked into the Talkit mechanical talking drum and.... WOW it's gonna take me a long time to save that much. However, I think I'm gonna start now, because it's intriguing, and I can envision a whole lot of uses.

The Talkit (www.b-radpercussion.com) is an amazing drum and very expressive. I've modified the rim for hand percussion playing with two congas, which is how I mainly use it. He has a six-inch model that costs less and you might want to check that out.

So beautiful DMC, and innovative with all your special touches. The idea of fusing the hat stand with the cymbal stand is brilliant.
I suppose shipping from Australia cost practically as much as the kit? LOL
Did it you take you awhile to develop the technique to play the Duellist?

Nice looking kit.... another great Australian made kit :) How would they compare to Brady I wonder? Anyone know?

I thought about Spirit drums before I got my DW deal a few years ago, but someone was telling me the shells are very heavy to lift.

Nice looking kit.... another great Australian made kit :) How would they compare to Brady I wonder? Anyone know?

I thought about Spirit drums before I got my DW deal a few years ago, but someone was telling me the shells are very heavy to lift.

Different animals. Jarrah ply drums won't sound as meaty and full as the Spirits. They'll also weigh about 1/8 of what the Spirits weigh. Solid shells will be heavy, especially when the timber they're made of is so dense it sinks.

Different animals. Jarrah ply drums won't sound as meaty and full as the Spirits. They'll also weigh about 1/8 of what the Spirits weigh. Solid shells will be heavy, especially when the timber they're made of is so dense it sinks.

Just what I was going to say. Bradys are fine drums and they even make a few solid shell snares. Ironwood is indeed heavy, with a specific gravity of 1.2 (1.2 times as heavy as water, which is why it sinks) and the shells are a half-inch thick. Maple has a SG of about .50 and that no doubt gets lower when made into plies with glue. So a half-inch-thick solid-shell ironwood drum should weigh about three times a half-inch-thick maple ply shell. I know I get three times the sound out of my Spirits.

I get used to the weight - I need to lose weight more than my drums! My Spirits sound like big drums and weigh as much as big drums, but they are the size of small drums.

Back