Stick bag or Vicpack

PitneyPercussion

I'm looking at getting either the Vic Firth SBAG2 or the Vicpack, I would get a nicer stick bag but I'm still young and need money for other things. Also I would probably be using it for carrying smaller percussion items (triangle, tambourine) which I can't use with the stick bag alone and to take to my lessons. Just so you no I also have the Vic Firth EP5 stick bag for school. I just want your opinion so I don't spend $60 when I could've spent $35 for something better. Thanks

Last edited:
Some photos of these bags would be handful...
Well, without the photos...I would buy a bag that' has several compartments to keep some essential stuffs. Not just to keep sticks and extra drum keys, but also a compartment to keep stuff from your trouser pocket empty, like a wallet and a handphone. But not to many compartments that you won't know what to fill it up with. Just go with the one that suits your need and within your budget. Hope this helps ;)

If you need pictures you can find them on Amazon or a music website or drumming website

The point is, YOU probably should post them mate. You're asking for help but expecting everyone to do all the leg work for you. Post some links and people will be more inclinded to have a look and offer opinions. It's a bit rich to expect people to scour the internet on your behalf.

But really, buy the bag that fits all you need and falls within your budget. You're not really gonna go wrong with a stick bag provided it meets your needs.

Vic Firth makes a backpack? Really?

I'd find a regular ol' stick bag, and use a regular backpack to carry stuff. The less you look like a drummer advertising brands the cooler you'll be. If your plan is to be playing for the rest of your life, why not invest in a stick bag that will actually last the rest of your life? I purchased a Reunion Blues small stick bag made out of solid leather over 25 years ago and it's still in use today. I also have a solid leather cymbal bag too, that's still going.

Buy once, cry once, especially for things that will be in constant use, like stick and cymbal bags.

This is what I used 30 years ago. Perfect for sticks/mallets/ lesson books and small hand held percussion.
1133736_27773_large.jpg

I agree with Bo. Get the stick bag and buy any old back pack to cart it and all your other stuff around in. Why pay top dollar for a back pack that is exactly the same as every other back pack save for the VF logo?

Don't over think this mate. It's a stick bag. What you do with the tools inside the bag warrants far more attention than the bag itself.

I would like to get a higher quality stickbag or case but as I said I'm still a student and I need cash for other things

Well, I've seen some bargain specials at Sam Ash for $15, those will get you by. Or, consider if you didn't eat lunch out for a month - think of how much you could save towards a high quality bag you only have to buy ONCE.

I just did a quick tour of Amazon, and if it were me I would buy a stick bag just for sticks. An inexpensive one, and then a WalMart backpack for the other things, mallets etc. They will last forever and hold a ton.

Well, I've seen some bargain specials at Sam Ash for $15, those will get you by. Or, consider if you didn't eat lunch out for a month - think of how much you could save towards a high quality bag you only have to buy ONCE.

The ones I saw at Sam ash for $15 were the same size I already have

You really need a bigger one? How many things you got to carry around to play a concert that lasts maybe 30 minutes?

;)

Re: Stick bag or Vicpack
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitneyPercussion

You really need a bigger one? How many things you got to carry around to play a concert that lasts maybe 30 minutes

When you also use mallets, yarn mallets, timpani mallets, brushes, rutes, and drumsticks you eventually do need a bigger one

If I were still playing in ensembles and orchestras, I'd go with this bag because you really do need to keep all of those expensive mallets in great condition as well as separated and quickly accessable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

Along with everyone else, just get a decent backpack for everything else (I like the Swiss Gear backpacks, the ones advertised for 17" laptops will suffice for you).

I'm looking at getting either the Vic Firth SBAG2 or the Vicpack, I would get a nicer stick bag but I'm still young and need money for other things. Also I would probably be using it for carrying smaller percussion items (triangle, tambourine) which I can't use with the stick bag alone and to take to my lessons. Just so you no I also have the Vic Firth EP5 stick bag for school. I just want your opinion so I don't spend $60 when I could've spent $35 for something better. Thanks

Does the SBAG2 have 2 shoulder straps or one? I've seen pictures and video that make it look like it has either one or two, and it's really confusing. Anyone?

Back