"Science" Channel

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
My geek side is getting really frustrated that channels like The Science Channel and The History Channel are now showing more fiction and more "reality" shows.

We have the sci fi channel for sci fi, why am I subject to crap like "Fringe" on the science channel?

I can deal with An Idiot Abroad and Oddities but the rest of it... Ugh.

Pop Science, please.

"Reality" TV must be cheap to produce because that seems to be all every channel is going to. Discovery, A & E, History.....damn it's terrible.

Absolutely! Doomsday preppers, Nostradamus, "biblical" prophecies galore! I think it's subsided significantly since 2012 has come and passed, but it's been enough for me to ban those channels.

Easy really, don't switch the TV on. If I want to put myself in a mind numbing state of boredom & despair, I just play my son's Pearl Vision kit :)

And thank you, Andy, for making coffee shoot out of my nose this fine morning.

I have an easy solution, here's your new science channel!

http://www.youtube.com/user/numberphile
http://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart
http://www.youtube.com/user/sixtysymbols
http://www.youtube.com/user/periodicvideos

There are of course many more, but those are all awesome!

Hahaha, amazing Luke, my favorite is the numberphile, zero, zero, zero :)

This one is quite funny, do you spot the changes? http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=voAntzB7EwE&v=v3iPrBrGSJM

Easy really, don't switch the TV on. If I want to put myself in a mind numbing state of boredom & despair, I just play my son's Pearl Vision kit :)

LOL

Awesome post.

.......................................................................................................

LOL...Andy....sharp and dry as a bone,your humor is becoming more Python like every day.I would love to be in the same pub someday to hear a conversation concerning your observations between you and John Cleese.I would sell tickets to the event...cheers.:)

Steve B

A few years ago I was talking to the CEO of one of those science type channels. (Sorry, but he and I sometimes hang with the same people.) I asked him why the hell his channel was veering from its name and I swear this was his incredulous reply:

"What? You mean you take our name seriously? C'mon. Calling ourselves The ____ Channel means as much as a rock group calling itself The Rolling Stones."

Sometimes I feel so damn naive....

How about those stupid shows about tattoo's?
I almost never watch TV anymore.

How about those stupid shows about tattoo's?
I almost never watch TV anymore.
I didn't know those shows were about tattoos. I thought they were about the babes that love 'em. Why else would anyone watch?

My geek side is getting really frustrated that channels like The Science Channel and The History Channel are now showing more fiction and more "reality" shows.

We have the sci fi channel for sci fi, why am I subject to crap like "Fringe" on the science channel?

I can deal with An Idiot Abroad and Oddities but the rest of it... Ugh.

Pop Science, please.

Everything's all mixed up. SciFi is showing chick flicks, Spike is showing cooking shows, Lifetime is showing MMA, the History Channel is showing UFO conspiracies, the Weather Channel is devoted to natural disasters, MSN is The Prison Channel and Discovery has been taken over by hairy, smelly bikers. Then there's the Screwed Up People Channel - I forget what it's called - that just has hoarders, drug addicts, recovering has-beens and other losers. I liked The History Channel when it was more like the American and European Military History Channel and half the shows were about old tanks.

I wasn't even aware of the Science Channel. Sounds like it would be ripe for Pseudoscience Channel. Everyone is chasing after everyone else's demographic and leaving their own behind. Hell, only AMC has decent programming anymore and that's where I go to see action, adventure and violent science fiction, my favorite genre.

Don't even get me started on video games. I have a radical idea for one, an idea that will set the game apart from all others. It will not feature zombies and it will not be set in a post-apocalyptic world. Mindblowing, huh?

LOL...Andy....sharp and dry as a bone,your humor is becoming more Python like every day.I would love to be in the same pub someday to hear a conversation concerning your observations between you and John Cleese.I would sell tickets to the event...cheers.:)

Sometimes when I'm bored I try to imagine Andy's posts in a English accent, trouble is I know squat about the reigonal dialects. For Americans the English either sound like they're from London or a Chimney Sweep from a Dickens novel.

Bob, I love those tattoo shows. It's cracks me up watching people try to interject drama into the most normal of situations. My favorite thing in the world is restoration shows. My love for re-finishing and restoration projects is well documented here.

Don't even get me started on video games. I have a radical idea for one, an idea that will set the game apart from all others. It will not feature zombies and it will not be set in a post-apocalyptic world. Mindblowing, huh?
But who would want to play such a game? ; )

Back