What heads on 100% Maple ?

SharkyBait911

Hi everyone,

I've just recently got a new Gretsch Renown Maple limited edition and its brilliant, BUT it came with Evans clear G2 and it sounds really awful. Anyway i tune it's really dull and has no meaty sound to it so i wondered what heads would suit it best. I would like a big punchy 'studio' sound to my kit, no over tones (i have e-rings) and defenatly no big 'fat' rock sound as i play Jazz/Fusion kinda stuff.

My drum teaacher has a little 'rule' that he uses to get heads;
Birch = Clear
Maple = Coated
Lower quality woods = Pinstripes

Is this a good gideline to go by ?

Thanks once again,

Tris

The combination I found that sounds the best on my Renowns are Evans G2 Coated batters and Evans G1 Clear for the resos. I have tried the new SST's and right now I have Fibreskins on the toms and of the three the G2's sound the best.

Hi everyone,

I've just recently got a new Gretsch Renown Maple limited edition and its brilliant, BUT it came with Evans clear G2 and it sounds really awful. Anyway i tune it's really dull and has no meaty sound to it so i wondered what heads would suit it best. I would like a big punchy 'studio' sound to my kit, no over tones (i have e-rings) and defenatly no big 'fat' rock sound as i play Jazz/Fusion kinda stuff.

Birch = Clear
Maple = Coated

Thanks once again,

Tris

The e-rings would explain the no overtones and no meat to the sound.

If you want less resonance and a deep low end take your toms and just tune both heads really low...

Birch = Clear
Maple = Coated

In that case, the first thing you should shop for is a new drum teacher.

I'm surprised to hear that you're not getting a fat punchy sound pout of Renown maples and clear G2s..... Really surprised.

Hi everyone,

Birch = Clear
Maple = Coated

Thanks once again,

Tris

Doesn't really work for me. I don't care for clear in most cases. My birch kit really works with coated or suede heads for example. I really dislike premuffled heads in general on everything but kick drums and even then there are limits to how far you can go for tastes in tone

Hi everyone,

Birch = Clear
Maple = Coated

Thanks once again,

Tris

You won't get a big punchy studio sound, unless you are in a studio being recorded. Your drums won't sound like your favourite recordings in person. It doesn't work that way. You would have to have the same drums, same studio, same mics, same mic positioning, same mixing desk, same tuning, same sticks, and be the same drummer.

Overtones are a mixed bag. They are either really pure sounding because of good tuning skills and nice tonewoods, or they are out of phase and awful sounding. Either way, overtones are needed to carry a drum forward. Without overtones, your drums go thud thud thud or splat splat splat. That is no fun!

Enjoy those Clear G2 that come stock. They are a decent head that will get you awesome tones. If you want a bit more warmth go with a Remo Coated Emperor.

I would like a big punchy 'studio' sound to my kit, no over tones (i have e-rings) and defenatly no big 'fat' rock sound as i play Jazz/Fusion kinda stuff.
Sounds like what you're describing with punchy and dead almost lead you right to the big fat rock sound you say you don't want. I'm confused. I would recommend you start over with the tuning using the heads you have. If you haven't already checked out Bob Gatzen's video's, you really should. He demystifies the whole tuning process.

I have a similar thin shelled maple kit, and like others here, I prefer 2 ply coated on top and single ply clear on the reso (either Remo Emp/Amb or Evans G2/G1). Also, I don't like pre-muffled heads. If I ever want muffling, I'll want to control it and adjust it myself.

I'm not sure about the advice your drum teacher gave you regarding heads. I'm pretty sure I'd be using the same heads regardless of what my shell material was. And putting Pinstripes on a low end kit could only make it sound more low end, IMO.

If anything, the birch should get the the coated heads since they're brighter and the warmth of maple could use the clears to accentuate the brightness. But I guess it just depends on what you're going for...

Man those rules about heads vs. wood are, well, they're pretty lame.

Do you have a drummer or recording in my mind with the sound you're hoping to achieve? That would help your would be Samaritans point you in the right direction.

Back