Issue W/ New DW 5000TD Hi Hat Stand

thechief7676

I just purchased a brand new DW 5000TD Hi Hat Stand and have an issue.

When i lock the clutch on my top hi hat onto the rod it immediatly drops the rod and foot pedal down an inch! It's like it won't support the weight of the hat (14" New Beats) And yes it is the top hat. I've adjusted the spring tension and still the same result.

If i raise the hat up on the rod i can find the spacing i need but the stand is 24hrs old! It shouldn't be dropping like this.

Any thoughts? Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

I'm using the same setup, new beats and the 5000 two leg stand and have never had a problem with that combo. I'd get in contact with the shop you got it from, something doesn't sound right.

I have the same stand and it does the same thing. I've always just put up with it, assuming it was how this stand feels. I haven't found any way to adjust it. If you figure it out, let me know!

I have the same stand and it does the same thing. I've always just put up with it, assuming it was how this stand feels. I haven't found any way to adjust it. If you figure it out, let me know!

Have you tried contacting DW? That's not right it should hold your hat's with no problems. I've never had a problem with mine.

I emailed musicians friend and dw yesterday and have yet to hear back.

This is what the DW website tells you when you try and contact them:

"Please keep in mind that although each and every email is read, due to the high volume
of requests, our Customer Service Department cannot guarantee a personal response to every inquiry."

Nice.

It's not suppose to drop like that. My 20yr old pearl stand doesn't drop at all and it still works like a champ!

Here's what my shop guy said DW told him about this exact thing.

DW said that's the "floating action" that you get with this hi hat stand.

There's nothing wrong with the stand. They use a lighter spring so it does the "floating action". It's on purpose.

There's no way to stop it unless you change the spring, and good luck with that.

I assumed this was the case but I thought I had heard that it was "adjustable" in some way. Guess not! I keep threatening to replace it...but now that I'm used to it a "normal" hi-hat stand might feel weird.

I've got the same stand and not only have gotten used to it, but find it to be somewhat advantageous. I use a hat-trick, and can get a nice pedal chick without the jingle if I tap the footboard slightly... a little more pressure and I get the jingle from the hat-trick. Don't think I could get the same effect with a less sensitive stand.

I sold my DW 5000 hi-hat stand and bought a Yamaha 700 series hi-hat stand. Problem solved. And less weight.

Back