View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Question about Shell Tone and Tuning w/Tune-Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Tuning aids such as Tunebot & drum dial are great tools during an experimental stage. They're useful for "clearing" lug frequencies when there's a lot of overtones floating around & mapping the relationship between batter & resonant head. They also aid consistency & repetition.

But - outside of the rapid repetition / consistency role, regard them as a training / experimental aid. Think of them as the calculator vs. mental arithmetic. Both have their place, but one is more useful in day to day life.
I respect your opinion, absolutely, but having used a Tune-Bot for nearly a year now, I would NEVER want to go back to tuning by ear again.

I attribute some of this to the fact that my drums are made by Yamaha and that Yamaha drums are known more for their reliability and utility than they are for their distinct character and/or colour. Essentially, they sound good to me no matter what I try with them, giving me back whatever I ask for. High tuning, low tuning, pitch bending or fully resonant - they just say "whatever - let's party!!"

My kits are tuned to perfect fourths currently and that seems to work really well for me. The 10" tom is tuned to 3C, the 12" to 2a and the 14" floor tom to 2f. I prefer high snare tuning so my snare is tuned to 3g# (328/400).

Interesting discussion!