Are there IHOP's in Europe?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I'm going out to breakfast right now to the International House of Pancakes.
Just wondering if it is truly international.
Stupid, I know.

I have no idea Larry to be honest, but if you don't know where to go when you jumped that pond to Europe, be aware that I make excellent pancakes, no reservation bookings needed, the door will be open :))

I've never seen or heard of one in Europe, and American pancakes are in general not popular here.

Didn't see one during my three years in Australia either, for that matter.

Not in the UK, and American pancakes aren't popular here either. Luckily I get the occassional Bisquik box!

The I in IHOP is missleading!

International.....of course.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-04 at 10.57.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-04 at 10.57.39 AM.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 10,747
Given that I have never heard of it, probably not. Of course, it is possible that like many things, it exists in mainland europe but not the uk. Like those amazing chocolate curl cereals. The coco pops ones just aren't the same :(

Looks like the Mayor has his all powerful finger on the pulse...

But I think I might have a lawsuit here. All the IHOPS are in the Americas it seems. That does not smack of internationality in my mind.

If I have my way, the business will be renamed AHOP.

American pancakes are in general not popular here.

What's the closest thing then? Waffles? Do Europeans eat anything that is similar to American pancake for breakfast? Something that requires butter and syrup? The name of the chain, International House of Pancakes.... implies that pancakes are loved the world over. What is it about pancakes that doesn't appeal to the Euro-palette?

What's the closest thing then? Waffles? Do Europeans eat anything that is similar to American pancake for breakfast? Something that requires butter and syrup?

Nope, at least not that I know of. Europe is big though, and has loads of countries and cultures. Some countries might enjoy something similar for breakfast.

Norwegian breakfasts usually consist of a simple sandwich or some cereal. In southern Europe, people often eat toast, rolls and some pastry (like croissants), while in the UK a traditional breakfast is an assortment of fried stuff, like eggs, bacon, beans, sausages and fried tomatoes.

I don't think there's anything about pancakes that doesn't appeal to us, but with the exception of the UK the trend in Europe seems to be to avoid heavy breakfasts. I like American style pancakes, but I don't understand how you guys can stomach it in the morning; it just seems too rich to me. Doesn't it make you want to just lie down and go back to sleep instead of giving you the energy needed to start the day? To me it would make a lot more sense as lunch or even dinner or supper.

IHOP is about as international as the World Series, it would seem :)

We do pancakes. But they're thinner and more plain. Maple syrup is less favoured. Sugar and lemon juice is the preferred option. Also France had crepes (thin pancakes) with chocolate spread or savoury fillings. Belgian waffles are a European thing, too.

Sugar and lemon juice on pancakes? OK then. I'm not sure I want to try that, but OK.

I prefer maple syrup myself but believe me it is nice on a thin pancake. You'd like it if you tried it.

I just might try your suggestion, one must keep an open mind. Thin pancakes, (crepe-like?) with lemon juice and sugar. Powdered sugar? Seems like granulated would make for a sandy mouth feel.

ihops.png

Actually, that last one just closed. I guess the old saying is true...

here today... Guatemala.

I just might try your suggestion, one must keep an open mind. Thin pancakes, (crepe-like?) with lemon juice and sugar. Powdered sugar? Seems like granulated would make for a sandy mouth feel.

Definitely granulated. It gives it crunch or just dissolves in the lemon juice. Crepe like, yeah. Egg, flour, milk (maybe a drop of water if needed). Check out british pancake recipes online, couldn't be more simple.

We do pancakes. But they're thinner and more plain. Maple syrup is less favoured. Sugar and lemon juice is the preferred option. Also France had crepes (thin pancakes) with chocolate spread or savoury fillings. Belgian waffles are a European thing, too.

Mum used to make pancakes for us with sugar and lemon back in the day. Very nice. These days I make them for Dad with Philadelphia cream cheese and sultanas. Also nice.

I had no idea what IHOPs were. My first thought was some kind of Apple device ...

More than 99 percent of IHOP restaurants are operated by franchisees, who are independent business people. Our management belief is that an equity involved franchisee is very responsive to the needs of the guest. As of September 30, 2011, there were 1,532 IHOP restaurants located in 50 states and the District of Columbia, Canada, Guatemala, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The original concept was a restaurant which featured various types of pancakes and similar foods such as crepes and blintzes from all over the world, offered at affordable prices.

Hah! Figures there'd be IHOP's in Mexico. American pancakes a very popular there. Except south of the border they call them "hotcakes".

Naigewron, I think the American heavy breakfast comes from rural roots of farmers and laborers that wound need that heavy breakfast as fuel for the day. In the Midwest a popular breakfast is a steak usually with eggs or something on the side. I tend to just go with the lighter breakfast unless its a weekend and I have time to cook up something hearty.

I like to eat pancakes when I watch NASCAR. Actually I don't watch NASCAR, just trollin'.

Sorry Larry, as someone pointed out, they are truly international, they are opening one soon in my small hometown here in Canada. We recently just got a Fatburger as well, so there are two new options for healthy eating for me now.

Back