Some of my gear. Beginning with my favorite subject, snares

The other photo of this drum sucks. So here's a better one.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0ODAtMjAxMTAxMzEtMDk1My5qcGc.jpg

I put a new wire on it.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0ODEtMjAxMTAxMzEtMDk1My5qcGc.jpg

I am very excited about the new cymbals. I can recomment the Mehmet cymbals strongly.
I just received an email detailing my next delivery and I am thrilled. Soon to be posted. 22" Vezir flat ride. 22" Origin Dark ride. 18" Origin Dark crash. 22" Empire ride. 14" Empire hi hats. 16" Empire crash. 6" Turk bell. 6" Traditional splash.

They will most likely arrive at 7am! All the instruments seem to arrive at 7am.

Masterwork cymbals are also very nice. A more modern sound than the Mehmets I have received thus far. I am booked tomorrow from 10 am through 8 pm and will take the Masterworks with me to see how they perform.

Here's a few of my Sonor snares. Sadly the one that is the greatest drum of any kind I have ever played, a Designer 14x5 maple with walnut veneer, is not pictured. Nor are many of my snares in fact. Especially my Sonor's. But here's a few.

First, 13x5 Artist beech.

IMGP5157.jpg

27 plies of beech wood = a massive sound! My # 1 funk snare drum.

IMGP5159.jpg

oh my God!!!.. another WOW!!!! ...an incredible collection.. congrats...

oh my God!!!.. another WOW!!!! ...an incredible collection.. congrats...

Thanks mate. I don't know if congrats is due really. I have worked hard to earn the money to buy most of this gear. Aside from some instruments from Brasil and some wonderful cymbals I have been given, I earned everything.

But thanks for appreciating the instruments. Remember though, to own an instrument is easy. To play it well takes effort and dedication.

Just like to say this is the one thread I constantly revisit. Fantastic collection Wy.

Is the avatar a picture of the Sonor Amboina? I'm seriously considering picking up one of those, what's your opinion on it?

These look really nice Wy. I like the multi lathing on this style of cymbal. Not only for the looks, but also for the way the position on the bow changes the character. How are you finding them, now you've had a chance to work them in a bit?
Istanbul Mehmet 10 and 8" Sultan splashes.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0NjYtMjAxMTAxMTktMDgzMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0NjctMjAxMTAxMTktMDgzMi5qcGc.jpg

Istanbul Mehmet Traditional 19" dark crash.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0NjEtMjAxMTAxMTktMDgyOS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0NjMtMjAxMTAxMTktMDgzMC5qcGc.jpg

Istanbul Mehmet 15" Nostalgia hi hats.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0NzQtMjAxMTAxMzEtMDg1Ny5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0NzUtMjAxMTAxMzEtMDg1Ny5qcGc.jpg

The Sonor Amboina is a wonderful drum. The shell is incredibly well made with amazing bearing edges, perfectly round shell and great hardware.

The sound is deep yet cutting with what I'd describe as a rounded tone. Recently I compared it to a Yamaha Steve Jordan snare. There is a 1/2" difference in depth. The Sonor won hands down. In every possible way. I highly recommend the Amboina.

Hi KIS. The Sultans are kind of trashy. Very nice. The Mehmets are without a doubt the most beautiful cymbals I have ever played.

Great Collection!! What an outstanding thread.

Anyone else not able to get the sound samples to work on the Mehmet site? I wanna hear these!

You have an amazing collection Wy Yung!

Wasn't there a poster here awhile ago that had a similar thread with like 40 snares, mostly DW's. Had em in curio cabinets and everything! What ever happened to that thread?

Thanks fellas. There is lots more. Many of my snares have not been photographed as yet. I have gear spread across 3 storage spaces. 2 are paid by direct debit and I just don't get there very often due to my not doing so many sessions over the last few years. One day I'll break them all out and take some shots. I am gonna do more gigs this year. I am currently putting an 8 piece funk band together with plans to tour Asia. Have already spoken with an agent to tour Vietnam, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China, Phillipines etc.

I got balled out by a big time producer and then a top guitarist for wasting my talent. I decided to pay attention. :)

I'll let you know. I'm not really good at self promotion. For example, I used to have videos of all my TV performances. I distinctly remember handing the tapes over to the garbage man in a green rubbish bag. I only realised the following day what I had done. None of that stuff is on Youtube. I check regularly.

What's worse is that over the past couple of year I wanted to help some fine younger drummers. So I would pass sessions along to them. Now they get all my calls! I'm freaking hopeless. :)

Last edited:
Hi mate.
My health is not so good. I've lost a lot of technique in my ankles. My shoulders are affected badly so I am not at my best. I can still play though. Hopefully the new b and won't fall apart before it begins and we can get some vid's up. I'm not in a hurry to record anything though. It is not a priority really mate. I'm too busy writing out lessons and transcribing. I hardly ever play my drums. The drums I play are in the teaching room, low level Sonors with 2 very nice Sonor snares of mine. I couls stand the cheap snares no longer! :)

Thanks for asking.

I played some percussion at home today. Here is a stick bag that came in useful.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0OTEtMjAxMTAyMDktMTQyMS5qcGc.jpg

I played these instruments.

Pearl 12" pandeiro.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0ODktMjAxMTAyMDktMTQxNS5qcGc.jpg

My new Liverpool reco reco.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0ODgtMjAxMTAyMDktMTQxNS5qcGc.jpg

A Toca shaker.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0OTItMjAxMTAyMDktMTQzNi5qcGc.jpg

Am playing again tomorrow. If I use anything not posted I'll grab a pic'. Maybe some surdos. I have not posted a single pic' of any of my surdos???

My kind of stick bag! I hate stick bags with 14 pairs of the same kind of stick.

Wy, why is your Pandiero frothing? What is that inside??

I am not a classical percussioniat. I play samba, African, Afro Cuban and various bits and pieces of ethnic percussion. I do play classical snare drum pieces but only for practice and in teaching.

I'm strictly from the street. Or rather the bush. Not many timpanis in Broken Hill and Cobar. :)

Back