Todd Sucherman here!

Your playing w/ the Tap was great. I was disappointed you didn't follow the whole mantra and play a ridiculously large kit. Something overkill. In a funky color, too. Otherwise the playing was great.

Gyrefalcon---

Just said "hi" to Stewart. Jimmy Fallon was more accessible and chatty.

Latzanimal----

The supplied risers for each show was 7 1/2' by 6'.......so that's all that could fit up there. You bet I wanted 2 kicks and a gong drum. Thanks for the compliments!

Todd

No one has ever looked so badass behind a kit before.Are you just playing with Tap for tv or are you playing with them for some shows too if there doing more shows.Also what did you think of the Roots mostly Ahmir.

Drum.lad---

I played with those guys on the Tonight Show 9 years ago but Gregg Bissonette has been doing the majority of work with them. I just did those two TV shows in NYC. As far as I can tell, "Tap" is done for a while. The Roots guys were very cool and I enjoyed them very much. Thanks for the kind words, man.

latzanimal---

Well, I think a rack like that would have been a tall order from S.I.R! (Rental company in NY)

Cheers,
Todd

Hey Todd,
I want to ask you something about your snaresound.

In contrast to your bassdrum your snare sounds very wide open. I think your wires on the snare are not very tight. How do you tune your snare, because I think your sound is quite interesting...? can you give some advises for a nice snare sound, from which dou you think is perfect?

Much greetings!!!
keep going your thing!!!

Chris

hey Todd, just to let you know that there was a lot of chatter about your performance on MD fest 08 in my circles, and I finally got to check it out on the dvd recently.

Surprisingly ( or maybe not ) I was blown away by your solo playing. Wasn't expecting that. It seem to me that you were phrasing in longer 'sentences' than the customary 8s, 7s etc..it was really really smooth and musical.

Question: Was it something you were doing consciously or was a lot of it spontaneous?

Once again, it was one of the stand out performances amongst a clutch of heavies....great job!

Last edited:
Chris----

I can't really say what sound is perfect because that begs the question: Perfect for what? I try to let the music dictate the sound of the snare. One constant for me is a coated ambassador on top and a hazy ambassador snare side and well as cheap snappy or Gibraltar snares. I'm not into the "designer wires" as they just don't do it for me. There's a brightness and a snap (to me) with the cheap wires. My opinion only.

I like a little "breath" behind the crack and some of that comes from not having the wires too tight against the bottom head---even if the bottom head is tight which it often is. Some times it's cranked even if the top is medium and open. It's true that for playing rock and certainly most backbeat based western music I like a pillow in the bass drum. I like the spike and if you have a good drum there will be nice inherent low end with and after the attack. I like that contrast. But again the tuning of the snare (from low and beefy to Stewart Copeland range) will depend entirely on the music. I hope I've answered your question and I appreciate your note!

Aydee----

Thanks for the compliments on the MD Fest dvd! I really appreciate your kind words. I talk a little bit about long phrases in my dvd, but to answer your question, I'm doing it consciously and spontaneously. Or really, improvising. I'll think in 4 or 8 bar phrases and sometimes longer with over the bar line ideas. I think of them as sentences is a way. Some sentences are short and some are quite long. I like that improvisational landscape and it keeps it interesting because I'll think of different ideas from night to night. I don't get to play like that with the band but if I'm doing clinics it's exciting to see what will come out of me. Some nights are "on" and some, not so "on." Then you can rely on what works---but I like pushing into the unknown. Those are the best nights for me. Thanks again for dropping me a note!

Bernhard---

As ever, thanks for your amazing site and all the great work you do for drummers worldwide.

Cheers-
Todd

Chris----

I can't really say what sound is perfect because that begs the question: Perfect for what? I try to let the music dictate the sound of the snare. One constant for me is a coated ambassador on top and a hazy ambassador snare side and well as cheap snappy or Gibraltar snares. I'm not into the "designer wires" as they just don't do it for me. There's a brightness and a snap (to me) with the cheap wires. My opinion only.

Cheers-
Todd

Ha ! I couldn't agree more about the snare wires. I bought an expensive pair of those "designer wires" and they were awful !!! In 30 years I have never had that much of a snare issue ! I put my $13 Gibraltars back on and I'm leaving them on. There was nothing wrong with them.. I just gave into the hype of the "designer wires" I guess.

I saw you play in June of 1996 with Styx in Allentown , Pa. I wasn't a Styx fan but took someone that was to see the show. I was very impressed with your playing and the power behind it. It really made the music much stronger without taking away from or hurting the song. I actually picked up the live cd right after that show. You definetly stood out ... out of all the players I've seen and I have seen many but your performance that night still stands strong in my mind today.

Todd just got the DVD man and I have to say holy hell it's beautiful. I haven't been drumming for long for only two years and I can definitely tell it's helping me out. I am in a band right now and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind critiquing what we are doing? Unfortunately they are now the best recorded demos but we are enjoying what we are doing. Thanks for the inspiration brother rock on!

Wolfmoon----

I agree on the wires. Others differ, but therein lies the beauty of what makes us all different. And thanks for the kind words regarding the '96 show. That seems like a long time ago!

Krayziemex99---

Thanks for picking up the dvd and for giving me your feedback. I really appreciate it! I hope it continues to inspire creativity in your playing.

And some news:

My website has been completely redone. It has hours of various audio clips, videos, photo galleries, a store-----so I hope those that visit it are entertained.

Toddsucherman.com

And for those that like in Ontario, Canada, I will be doing a few clinics there in September.

Centre Stage | Kingston, Ontario, Sept 21st

Cosmo Music | Richmond Hill, Ontario,*Sept 22nd

Gear Music | Oakville, Ontario, Sept 23rd

Sherwood Music | Kitchener, Ontario,*Sept 24th

Come on out and say hello.

Cheers,
Todd

Wow such great photos on your website. Love the ones of you and the bros. in the yellow striped plebe shirts. And what a cast of characters you have been photographed and played with. One question if I may. I have an 8 inch tom that can be a bear to tune and notice you have two. How close in pitch are they? Thanks again for your time.

Hi Todd!

Just wanted to say I loved your segment on the latest Modern Drummer DVD. You have awesome technique and a great sense of flow and dynamics!

Are you influenced by Deen Castronovo at all? Im actually not sure if its your playing, or just your looks/voice/mannerisms, but theres a real 'high energy' vibe that you give off that reminds me very much of him.

Anyway, if youre ever down Perth, Western Australia way, be sure to let me know and Ill set up a drum clinic for you!

Regards
Damien

Wolfmoon----

And for those that like in Ontario, Canada, I will be doing a few clinics there in September.

Centre Stage | Kingston, Ontario, Sept 21st

Cosmo Music | Richmond Hill, Ontario,*Sept 22nd

Gear Music | Oakville, Ontario, Sept 23rd

Sherwood Music | Kitchener, Ontario,*Sept 24th

Come on out and say hello.

Cheers,
Todd
You just made my day. I will most definately come out and say hello.

It's a pretty small shop though, do you know if you're playing inside of Gear or at another location?

Oops.....forgot to add this in the aforementioned clinic list:

West Music Coralville, IA. Saturday, August 29th 2-4 pm

Gruntersdad---

Glad you like the new site. The two 8"s on my live rig are very far apart. The first one (8x7) is tuned high, like a Phil Collins "gock" or barking sort of sound. The 2nd 8 (8x8) is tuned for a "meaty" normal 8" sort of sound. So there is a tremendous difference between the two of them.

DamoSyzygy---

I was really unfamiliar with Deen's playing until we did a Styx/Journey tour together in the U.S. back in 2003. We became pals and I think the world of him---and what a brilliant singer. Man. I'd love to do a clinic in Perth. I have no touring plans to make it down there, sadly, but if someone spearheaded an Australian clinic run, I'd be there as soon as I could. Thanks again, Damien!

AndrewL---

Great, see you then! That's all the info I have presently. You can ring up the shop and ask for yourself I suppose. They'd know more about it than I.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Todd

Hello again =)

Thanks a lot for your great reply! You answered my question (a week ago) very well!!!

hope you will still be online for more questions ;)
(I enjoy your work!)

Chris

I was really unfamiliar with Deen's playing until we did a Styx/Journey tour together in the U.S. back in 2003. We became pals and I think the world of him---and what a brilliant singer. Man. I'd love to do a clinic in Perth. I have no touring plans to make it down there, sadly, but if someone spearheaded an Australian clinic run, I'd be there as soon as I could. Thanks again, Damien!

Most of the distributors are playing their coins very close to the chest at the moment, so I cant see anything happening short-term either, but Ill keep my ears open :(

Ive gotta say, I like to run clinics as "Sabian" events, as I usually like to work closely with Ann McNally and the National Sabian wholesalers, Dynamic - Its just easy dealing with them - Great people!

We've had great success in the past with guys like Jojo Mayer, John Blackwell, Mike Portnoy, Kenny Aronoff, Tomas Haake, Dom Famularo - but admittedly most were already IN the country doing other events, so the hope is that perhaps one year you are able to do the Ultimate Drummers Weekend, or something of that ilk - and then I can steal you out to the West for a day or two :)

Hi Todd,
I am new to this forum and want to say how great it is interacting with all this talent. I became very interested in your playing when I became active on the Pearl forum.I am also a big STYX fan and saw the show in 96 at Glen Helen in Southern California. I have been rolling through all the different videos over and over and recently just saw your performance with Spinal Tap on the Jimmy Fallen show. Great work. You are a true inspiration to our craft.
Thanks for taking the time to do what you do.

I just watched your DVD for the first time, and it is great. Finally i feel like I've come away with some new ideas. I first saw you at a STYX and REO SPEEDWAGON concert a few years ago and was blown away. You seem to have an ability to get the absolute most out of every song, without ever sacraficing taste.

Anyway i've started spray painting Sucherman is God all over St. Louis...hope you don't mind.....wish you had a shorter last name....maybe just two syllables.

Chris---

Glad to answer, man.

Damien----

Times are tight, I know. Ann at Sabian is great and a complete pleasure to work with. I just don't see anything in the near future that would musically take me to Australia, unfortunately. Been there for a visit in '04 though. Hopefully one day.

six118---

Thanks, man. I really appreciate the kind words. And wow, Glen Helen seems like a long, long time ago but I remember it well. Glad you caught Tap on Fallon. I just had the best time with those guys.

Jon e--

Thanks as well! I really appreciate it and thanks for getting the dvd. And believe me, I wish I had a shorter last name too! No one can even pronounce it correctly........

OK, cheers from West Virginia-
Todd

Back