My Trick Aluminum kit

Yes that agrees with my experience. Mics pick up the drums differently than your ears do.
Close micing the pinstripes will bring back the openness and body. Overhead micing the single ply heads will make then sound darker.

Wayne

Cool! My preference, for some odd reason would be aquarian classic clears. I shall try them.

I would agree w/ Wayne. I couldn't get a nice enough sound when close mic'ing w/ clear or coated ambs (using clear right now) - but I definitely had to move the mics closer w/ heads that had any sort of dampening (pinstripes, EC2, etc.) or it sounded like smacking cardboard.

I would agree w/ Wayne. I couldn't get a nice enough sound when close mic'ing w/ clear or coated ambs (using clear right now) - but I definitely had to move the mics closer w/ heads that had any sort of dampening (pinstripes, EC2, etc.) or it sounded like smacking cardboard.

I called my local shop. They are setting aside some clear ambs for me. I'll snag them tomorrow.

BTW: are you recording just fiddling with tension tuning, or did you use any moongel?

I dashed out for dinner (pizza pipeline) and picked up a set of Aquarian classic clears. I got a better deal on those than remo or evans. I also happened across a jan/feb 1989 issue of "drums". It has ads and articles I haven't seen before. I am going to have to do some scans.

The classic clears are on. I put clear response 2's on the roto toms.

The sound is definitely open, and I am getting more depth than I expected. I am going to do some recording tomorrow and see if the mics can hear what I can now.

BTW: are you recording just fiddling with tension tuning, or did you use any moongel?

Nah, I don't muffle anything and I don't play pre-muffled heads. I wanna hear it all...every overtone, undertone, mid-tone and more.

My approach to recording is strictly organic - I try to capture my drums (mostly) the same way they sound in the room when I'm playing them. This forces me to tune better, also.

Nah, I don't muffle anything and I don't play pre-muffled heads. I wanna hear it all...every overtone, undertone, mid-tone and more.

My approach to recording is strictly organic - I try to capture my drums (mostly) the same way they sound in the room when I'm playing them. This forces me to tune better, also.

I am working toward that end. I just hope that the mics can hear the thunder than I am hearing in person, because they didn't with the pinstripes.

I am also going to experiment with the kick mic out front.

I am working toward that end. I just hope that the mics can hear the thunder than I am hearing in person, because they didn't with the pinstripes.

I just got a listen to that (didn't have headphones w/ me at work earlier today).

I didn't think it sounded bad, it just sounds like your mics are too far away from the toms. I'm sure you could find a great sound there w/ proper mic placement and tuning.

I just got a listen to that (didn't have headphones w/ me at work earlier today).

I didn't think it sounded bad, it just sounds like your mics are too far away from the toms. I'm sure you could find a great sound there w/ proper mic placement and tuning.

Consider the condensers lowered >:)

Remember, you said it. Pinstripes aren't evil. They just like close miking. I highly recommend that you try the recorderman mic position is you are not close miking.

Wayne

Remember, you said it. Pinstripes aren't evil. They just like close miking. I highly recommend that you try the recorderman mic position is you are not close miking.

Wayne

Yep, recalling "Dream Theater: Live at Budokan" Mike Portnoy's drums were individually mic'd close in.

Ok, I have lowered the mics almost 1' below previous position. I also turned up the gain by 1/4.

I can't lower them any further without risking hitting them.

I am going to try some stuff this afternoon.

That is one of the funniest pics I've ever seen. However, it is an extremely accurate depiction of the times. You can almost smell the nearby splatter paint.

Holy hair-metal Batman! Gregg is a badass. :)

Hey tk - I posted some new clips on my Unix kit thread. Check 'em out for some bubinga snare sounds. You can also see how high I went w/ my overhead mics in the new pics.

Holy hair-metal Batman! Gregg is a badass. :)

Hey tk - I posted some new clips on my Unix kit thread. Check 'em out for some bubinga snare sounds. You can also see how high I went w/ my overhead mics in the new pics.

Gregg is either a badass, or he's getting ready for aerobics class ;)

I commented, great stuff! (still looking forward to paduoak)

I also think my gain was initially set too low. We shall see....

Ok, I have ascertained the best sounding kick batter for this kit is the EMAD 2, no contest. The emad 1 and the ps/3 just didn't get the kick where I wanted it. The drum definitely has a fuller sound and excellent pedal response.

I feel like crap this evening, so I am going to do my housecleaning and recording tomorrow. Besides, Styx with the youth orchestra is on "palladium" HDTV right now. That bubinga finish masterwork that Todd Sucharman is playing looks most righteous!

Note to Zambizzi: My drum room is about 16x30, carpeted and with some heavy wall covering. It does not have a lot of reverberation or exaggerated highs.

Last edited:
My hats off to you sir, that is one sweet kit.
I really need to take a trick kit for a test drive.

Mike

Back