best way to drop a band memeber?

bojangleman

Platinum Member
well, we have voted and we are going to have to kick one of our members out...

what is the best way...

we are thinking him just show up to practice...and we'll all tell him then?

but then were like..lets make it funny..

"hey, were bringing our old band name back....and your still the lead guitarist...but were quitting"

or what way would you do it?

Alex

One you have decided to do this, be professional and straightforward. Don't wait until the next practice. Call a meeting and get it done. Let the person know why and you all are in unison. "you are not working out for us and we are going to carry on."

Call him on the phone before he lugs his gear over to practice or go visit him and tell him in person. Do not wait for him to come over and embarrass him in front of the group. If he has gear at the rehersal spot, let him come for it when he is ready and not while the rest of the band is there to gawk.

yeah..im just going to call a meeting tomorrow..

Harry - well, im gonna say im the leader, cause im the manager and i do all the stuff like set up gigs, schedule practices, and kinda has leadership in the band i guess.
but, the lead singer is kinda also...so, were both going to be there of course..so we'll tell him that way..

Alex

There are several different ways of going about it, depending on his level of maturity and professionalism. I've kicked people out of bands and I've been kicked out of a couple myself. In all cases, I was professional about it so I expected the same from them.

The last group I was involved with decided to keep their old drummer because he better fit their style, which I completely understood. Me and one of the guys in the band went out for a drink one night and he casually explained the situation to me and that was that. If I was upset, it was because I now was back on my own again, which was a bitter-sweet thing.

If you think this guy is going to be really upset and fly off the handle, confront him as a group so that you're not shouldering all of it yourself.

get a meeting together....in person not the phone....and tell him straight up. Act with respect and you get respect back.

haha...well...it didnt go too well...

he cussed me out later on which doesnt bother me at all...

his first words to me were, "you'll be lucky if i dont tackle you and kick your ass tomorrow"
i told him that it'd be the worst mistake he would ever make if he did that...which he didnt....so he's the lucky one..lol

but, he hates me right now..but he'll get over it.

thanks for all the advice!!!

Alex

I find the best way to drop a band member is with a quick right, when they are off guard.

LOL, I'm sorry it didn't go well. But those things are sometimes needed as a wake up call. I'm not sure why you were axing him but I hope he learns from it.

I was only ever axed from one band. and it was over a disagreement with the manager over inviting several more members into a band that didn't need to be there. and I was told second hand by another band member. So I started my own band, and took the rythym guitarist with me, lol.

You did it the correct way man, and sometimes that takes some brass ones. You've earned my respect.

At least you were up front, thats great. I have been in situations were people were sneaky and back stabbing. It is not the way to do it.

his first words to me were, "you'll be lucky if i dont tackle you and kick your ass tomorrow"
i told him that it'd be the worst mistake he would ever make if he did that...which he didnt....so he's the lucky one..lol

Now that doesnt sound very Christian of him.

Sounds like you were eventually going to have an altercation with him...good ridence!

my guitarist moved to birmingham for the summer to work at GC. he is officially out of the band as of yesterday when he swindled my brother and i out of $225. he offered to get jackson some new pedals and me some new heads at cost. he got j one pedal but after having been fired (we went to GC and asked for him. the guy said, "chris? oh he got fired like three weeks ago for lying to customers." he still talks like we is working there), has yet to return the rest of the money. anytime were in tuscaloosa, he answers his phone promptly and is cooperative, but once he knows were in town his phone mysteriously goes dead. i want to find out where he is and surprise him with a baseball bat and a rottweiler. kidding. he is a good lead guitarist, but it is a shame he is such a douchebag.

Well, be honest. Beating around the bush won`t make any good results, on both sides, for both parties.
You should probably give him a hint by telling him that you have to meet to talk.
Although being "professional" regarding this, don`t be surprising and never ever treat it/him like a minor matter in this situation.

This "coffee-spitting" situation doesn`t make it sound as a very considered decision.

Honesty and professionality is so important. Being kind by explaining the problems in a constructive way is essential to keep a peaceful relationship in my opinion.

Karl

Re: best way to drop a band member?

Speak your mind plainly but keep respect to the person, let him know his strengths and contributions to the band also his weaknesses as areas to improve.

Give thanks to him and you will find a lot!

Ian

I usually just make a mean face and then point a shotgun at their head.

Works every time. :)

Ya, ya, that works great! Just walk right up and kick them in the nuts as hard as you can!

Back