Jeff Porcaro

That Georgy Porgy version is problaby my favorite ever. Jeff's groove with Paich's fanastic solo at the end makes for an incredible song!

I do not. Someone was supposed to make it available. Toto "Live" is not available in the US.

Man, that totally sucks spherical bouncy things. I really can't quite believe that. I haven't checked but presumably the guy's uploaded all the songs by now.

Listening to it again. So Womble, you don't have a DVD burner?

On a side note - do you think Lukather wished he had thought twice about that outfit and hair style?

Yeah man. The opening bar is scary. How tight is that?

I gotta stop listening to Georgy Porgy live. I wonder how many of the forum members don't get it.

Womble, burn me a copy. I'll send you my address.

I gotta stop listening to Georgy Porgy live. I wonder how many of the forum members don't get it.

Womble, burn me a copy. I'll send you my address.

76.4% don't get it.

Do you have a multi-region player? Clearly I'd never dream of copying it because that's ILLEGAL, but it's Christmas soon and I'll be feeling generous. PM me your address.

I don't get that youtube guy's selection of cuts from the DVD. Why no Rosanna? Why no Africa? Why no Hold The Line? The version of Africa in particular is absolutely sick, I personally believe Jeff grooves harder on it than on any other song at any other time...and that's saying something.

Still waiting for your address, Mograth. Don't worry, I'm not gonna come and stalk your wife.

Still working on figuring out if I can convert the DVD format.

Bloody Brits can't do anything the way the rest of the world does it. Drive on the wrong side of the road, DVD formats all screwed up, potato chips are potato crisps...

Right on! I'm always surprised and disappointed when I come across 'Who's your favourite guitarist?' type threads/surveys, because Lukather is never mentioned. The guy's a monster. I'm pretty sure he was also on 'I keep forgettin'', right? Ridiculous rhythm playing.

Mlehnertz, have you seen the Los Lobotomys DVD with Simon Phillips and David Garfield? It's most amusing, Philips obviously plays his arse off, Garfield seems to be completely whacked out on coke, but Luke holds it all down...his ability to play with taste, balls, and yet also restraint is very impressive. And on the TOTO live DVD I mentioned, Lukather does Little Wing as a tribute to Hendrix and Vaughn....for me it's the best guitar solo ever.

David Garfield is one of my best friends and he's been COMPLETELY sober since 1990. At the time LL toured with Luke and Philips, i.e. 1994, he had been 4 years sober. Just to set the record straight as there is no way that he could have been whacked out on coke. But David has a "strange" look in his eyes when he plays, that's sure :)

Well I only said he 'seemed' to be whacked off his head on gack, and that's a statement I'll stand by ;) But thanks for the info, that's good to hear, and I mean no disrespect to your friend.

Well I only said he 'seemed' to be whacked off his head on gack, and that's a statement I'll stand by ;) But thanks for the info, that's good to hear, and I mean no disrespect to your friend.

No problem ! I just wanted to set the record straight.

Speaking of Garfield and Porcaro, I can only recommend everyone to check out David's "Tribute To Jeff" album. It features 75 of the most famous studio musicians playing stuff ranging from Hendrix to bebop. There is a great drumming piece with 21 drummers/percussionist.... some names : Laboriel Jr., Ferrone, Gadd, Vega, Colaiuta, Weckl, Erskine, Conte, Castro, Purdie...

The album comes in two versions : a) the original released in 1997 and b) "Revisited" released in 2006. The newest version features two songs (Boz Scaggs's "Lowdown" and Steely Dan's "Babylon Sisters") with vocals from Santana's Alex Ligertwood + bonus tracks. The above two songs are featured as instrumental on the original recording.

It is a wonderful tribute to one of the greatest drummers of all time. Check out www.creatchy.com if you're interested.

David Garfield has always featured outstanding musicians on all his recordings (solo, Karizma, Los Lobotomys). His most recent solo album, "Giving Back", features a song called "Tune For Tony" that has Gregg Bissonnette and Vinnie Colaiuta double drumming.

I don't get that youtube guy's selection of cuts from the DVD. Why no Rosanna? Why no Africa? Why no Hold The Line? The version of Africa in particular is absolutely sick,.

I'm glad there are stuff like Georgy and English Eyes rather than those so beaten-to-death songs. :)

Speaking of English Eyes, that version of just SMOKING! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZD2BU-JG_A

I don't get that youtube guy's selection of cuts from the DVD...Why no Africa?...The version of Africa in particular is absolutely sick, I personally believe Jeff grooves harder on it than on any other song at any other time...

At last, here's Africa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2esgAwd9VY.

Bits to check out: the fill into the first chorus, the fill at the end of the keyboard solo, and the entire percussion solo at the end; I think Jeff's groove beneath that solo is the most perfect time playing I've ever heard.

EDIT: I'm talking about the percussion solo that finishes the song, not the separate percussion solo that follows it!

One of my favorite clips from the "Le Zenith" DVD.

Paich's vocal is SWEET, I've always loved his voice. He had a rock-solid groove to lay that down on.

As for Jeff's playing?
Why does this groove smoke like it does?

It's all about the hats on the intro---("& one")those hats don't bark; they hiss.
That's a slinky, snake-like little thing. Having read Greg Rule's DRUM! article (1991), I remember Jeff's quote that he still hadn't gotten his hi-hat foot technique where he wanted it.....but, to my ear, he was flawless.
**WATCH MIKE: He's just so locked into his brother's playing he can't help but move......!

The colours Jeff got with just the hat.............WOW, folks.
He'd tell Robyn Flans he had no chops. HIs playing proved him wrong on so many levels.
We could all learn from that modesty and humility.

What a loss.
jpgroovin.jpg

T

Last edited:
The only Steely album I've got with Jeff is Katy Lied, and I gotta say it sounded pretty weak to me. I only listened to it a couple of times. A friend said Gaucho is much better...

Hey Raincloud, I love your Jeff posts, couldn't agree more. Where did you get that picture from??

The only Steely album I've got with Jeff is Katy Lied, and I gotta say it sounded pretty weak to me. I only listened to it a couple of times. A friend said Gaucho is much better...

Give it at least a couple more listens, you won't be disappointed (unless SD music isn't your bag to begin with). The mix is a bit flat overall, but the songs are great and Jeff acts as the perfect accompanist as always. Check out the slow blues groove on "Chain Lightning."

Back