Tambourine Vs Cowbell

Well, they put a tambourine on the hi hat so that they get the tambourine sound when they open and close it along with hitting it directly.

I would get both. My set up has two cowbells and a tambourine. I feel like that can cover almost everything.

I've noticed some drummers use tambourines on their hi hat rods and some use cowbells.
Which is better for new wave/pop rock?

Thanks

Depends which songs you're playing, and whether or not they have cowbell in them.

Tambourines are very cool for a lot of pop songs because you can double the backbeat on them (or the snare hit on 4, which is what I like to do most). Cowbells are appropriate in fewer places; not that I'd count them out altogether, but I can't think of too many new wave/pop songs off the top of my head where one is prominent.

A recommendation for you, whichever way you choose to go: Don't mount either on the hi-hat rod. Get a percussion clamp and fly it off of something else, whether the bass drum hoop or another stand. If you put a tambourine on the hi-hat rod, it'll jingle every time you hit the hats, whether you want it to or not; it'll also weigh down the rod spring. Bashing a cowbell mounted on a hi-hat rod might bend it.

Here's some links to some reasonably priced percussion clamps:

Meinl Bass Drum Hoop Clamp

Gibraltar Bass Drum Hoop Clamp

Gibraltar Post Accessory Mount

Depends which songs you're playing, and whether or not they have cowbell in them.

A recommendation for you, whichever way you choose to go: Don't mount either on the hi-hat rod... If you put a tambourine on the hi-hat rod, it'll jingle every time you hit the hats, whether you want it to or not; it'll also weigh down the rod spring.

Agreed, and I'll agree not mount a cowbell on the hat rod, but there are some newer, lighter weight hat-tambs that add almost no weight, and are playable (if you don't bash them too hard) without bending the rod. I use the Rhythm Tech Hat Trick, their new model is plastic so it reacts well to a stick, and has a quick-release for one-handed ez-on & off.

My cowbell is typically mounted on a stand near the hat, as I usually also play the hats when using the bell. Sometimes the tambourine also winds up in there.

But for parts in general, I only use them if they benefit the song (in the case of originals where I have that freedom) and rarely add a part (on covers) where it didn't exist in the first place on the original.

Bermuda

I use a rhythm tech drum set tambourine on my hihat rod. I had to readjust the spring weight of the hihat stand to compensate for the extra weight, but it's very playable with sticks and as I do that a fair bit during a set, the trade off was worth it for me. A hat trick thingy would have disintegrated by now.

As for cowbells, I have one but it stays at home, gathering dust.

Poor cowbell....

While I mostly agree about not putting stuff on the hi hat rod there is one really cool trick I picked up. If you disengage your hi hat clutch and put a tambourine on there you can play it with your foot and get a proper shaking tambourine sound instead of just the hit. I wouldn't over use this but it can really add some nice flavor if your singer is busy and can't handle tambourine duty.

...if your singer is busy and can't handle tambourine duty.

That's actually the ideal situation, if there's someone just singing and not playing anything, they should be playing the tambourine. Their ability to start & stop, hold it up where it can be heard, and play shaking patterns, far exceeds what the drummer can comfortably do.

Sadly, and curiously, some singers can't seem to play simple hits in time. They're typically the same ones who also can't sway or dance when they sing. Nevermind asking them to play Honky Tonk Woman and sing at the same time! Besides, I always handle drums and cowbell myself on that one. Thankfully I don't also have to sing it!

Bermuda

For the last 10 years or so I have been using a hat trick on my high hat plus a rhythm tech tambourine with sticking edge, a cow bell and a jam block beside my high hat and another pedal mounted cow bell to the left of my high hat pedal.

Just thought of a perfect xample where both a tamb & cowbell are needed: Talking Heads' "And She Was"

Keeping a tamb on the hat and a cowbell on a stand close-by, I can easily play the hat, tamb & cb on the choruses and bridge. Yeah, one of my bands has a singer who isn't used to playing a tamb. :(

Bermuda

Hmmm, which is better Tambourine or Cow Bell? Hmmm. Which is better fish or trees? Hmmm Which is better, apples or matter from outer space? Hmmm

If you have to ask this question use them both.

Hmmm, which is better Tambourine or Cow Bell? Hmmm. Which is better fish or trees?

Well now you're just being facetious. Trees are obviously better than fish!

Ever try making a drum out of a fish??

Back