New artsy shot of my kit <3

Calummordue

Feel free to ask any questions on anything :D

Also check out my YouTube Channel!

www.youtube.com/calummordue!

5588946143_a18861900c_b.jpg

Purdy! looks a lot like one of my kits. All birch superstars with the 7 inch deep high tom (I think they call it "hyperdrive").

Hard to tell the color with that light though... Is it purple?

Purdy! looks a lot like one of my kits. All birch superstars with the 7 inch deep high tom (I think they call it "hyperdrive").

Hard to tell the color with that light though... Is it purple?

Wow, when I read "purdy," i was immediately like, "huh? What does Bernard Purdie have to do with this....????" You know you're a drummer when.....

But yea, definitely a nice kit, looks very very comfy to play. Small kits are where its at.

That upside down tom arm bothers me. I can see a nice dent in the bass drum in the future and I would just cry. Turn that bad boy over.

That upside down tom arm bothers me. I can see a nice dent in the bass drum in the future and I would just cry. Turn that bad boy over.

I just starting doing this on my BD tree. I regained some lost resonance from my 12" tom after I pointed the L rod down. Gatzen recommends it so it must be true lol.

And you have no fear of them coming loose and falling. If I put a dent in my Renowns, after committing suicide I would never play again.

After committing suicide I would never play again.

HAHA!
I do this too! I actually always have. When I originally had it proper, the rack toms were just DEAD! So I watched some videos on how to help this, so I flipped the L-Rod upside-down, and it sounds MUCH better!
I do recommend this!

A Small tip....... Take the memory locks and put it on the L-Rod after you put the tom on. SO even if it does come loose, the Memory-Lock will catch it!

HAHA!
I do this too! I actually always have. When I originally had it proper, the rack toms were just DEAD! So I watched some videos on how to help this, so I flipped the L-Rod upside-down, and it sounds MUCH better!
I do recommend this!

A Small tip....... Take the memory locks and put it on the L-Rod after you put the tom on. SO even if it does come loose, the Memory-Lock will catch it!

Good tip but I just don't think I could try this, with my luck it it would drop off right in the middle of a big show...

Those of you who gain more resonance with the L-rod pointed downward: maybe it's because my tuning is different from yours (and not assuming you all tune them the same), but I've actually done an A/B comparison both in stores and on my own kits, and have never heard a difference. Did it again recently after some recent mentions of this in other threads. Nothing. So, how are you guys tuning your toms?

I remember I used to tune top & bottom heads to the same pitch (well, as close as I could get) on my Rockstar kit with the brackets on the shells, and got that age-old "resonant when holding the rim, dead on the mounts" argument for RIMS mounts, so I bought 2 Star-cast mounts. Problem solved. Later, when I realized I like the toms' tone better when I raised the reso head to a few steps higher than the batter (nothing too precise, to any exact interval or pitches), I tried it on a different older kit with shell-mounted brackets. I got much more resonance with the resos higher. I don't think it was as much as if I'd added RIMS mounts, but it wasn't the totally-live/totally-dead comparison from before.

So, I suspect your perceived differences in resonance has something to do with your tuning...? I'm in the camp where I couldn't turn those L-rods upside down. That wingnut will fail one day, either from not tightening it enough and it just works loose or from over-tightening to prevent it, but then it strips... The memory lock would solve it, but then, it defeats half the purpose of the ML- remembering the position.

Oh, sweet kit pic, Cal!

I love the high end acoustic tiles on the left. And when done playing, you can catch a snooze. I have taken to use exercise mats. They can really deaden sound.

What's up with the red tape? At first I thought maybe used like memory locks BUT their in the wrong place to do that. So what's up?

If they're not to mark the drummer's stand height, they could be to let other drummers know who's stands they are at a gig.

What's up with the red tape? At first I thought maybe used like memory locks BUT their in the wrong place to do that. So what's up?

I use little pieces of yellow tape on my drum rack so I know at what height and at what angles to swing out the arms. But I make it very descreet so the audience can't see them.

The Red tape is there purely so i know what kit is mine at gigs :)

As for mounting the tom like that, i only do it so it can be lower to the floor :) and it looks kinda cool :)

As for the inlays on my snare, i really like them :) PLUS they glow in the dark :D Kinda.... if its really dark and you shine a bit of light it gives the illusion of glow in the dark :D

4097862431_c76a8709ab_b.jpg

Back