Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

Here's a couple i've had for a while I just got around to photographing.

First up a 24" Agop Signature ride at 2345g...yes 2345 grams for a big 24" ride folks!

The stick sound heard on top and ultra dark overall vibe and trashy quick explosive crash of this pie heard in the flesh will blow your mind. The ultimate true CRASH/ RIDE in my books doing both REALLY well though not marketed as such a cymbal by the company.

The other seen next is my Agop Signature 18" Flat Ride. This one has been heard on several of the tracks of the Delta Quartet {Jared Burrows and friends} I posted in a link to Jared's website in the recent studio recordings thread. Here the link to the music again for those who missed it to hear this 18" flat in action in context:

http://jaredburrows.com/music/delta_quartet

YouTube clip featuring it on the track "Dinner with John" from the summer recording session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjdjF2nnEM

Very nice sounding 18" flat with a great clear stick click sound combined with some bacon sizzle in the dry dark wash.

Kinda reminds me of the old school Jimmy Cobb ride sound. I like it!

Hey Stan! I'm a proud owner of a stunning 22" OM ride now!! Its sound is astonishing, but
also quite intimidating, too! I'll have to get used to it after mainly playing a Sabian HH 22" Jazz
Ride, which sounded very traditional, rather high-pitched.

What styles do you use your OM family in? Have you tried it with a piano trio?

Also, as an Istanbul Agop expert, what would you recommend as a second ride alongside
the OM 22? In your previous post you mentioned the 20 is more of a crash than ride (it's called
crash after all). I'm thinking of a Turk Jazz 20" maybe... Would be very dry though.

Hey Stan! I'm a proud owner of a stunning 22" OM ride now!! Its sound is astonishing, but
also quite intimidating, too! I'll have to get used to it after mainly playing a Sabian HH 22" Jazz
Ride, which sounded very traditional, rather high-pitched.

What styles do you use your OM family in? Have you tried it with a piano trio?

Also, as an Istanbul Agop expert, what would you recommend as a second ride alongside
the OM 22? In your previous post you mentioned the 20 is more of a crash than ride (it's called
crash after all). I'm thinking of a Turk Jazz 20" maybe... Would be very dry though.

Very cool Matthias!

I use my OM's pretty much just for acoustic jazz work especially when piano is in the situation since their dark and dry qualities have a "ceiling" that really sit well for a blend to hear everything at a wide dynamic approach within the music. I do use the 15" hats in a wider range of situations though from small to large stages.

Interesting enough the right smaller 18" and 16" OM crashes are a little less wet and a little quieter than the 20" OM I have. You have to find the right ones though since there's lots of variations of sounds within the range with these. If you do search around either make for excellent crashes AND light rides. I snagged a 16" OM crash recently that has a nice low undertone/pitch/stick sound for a killer small ride AND it's dark and evil with a quick dry crash that gets right out of the way after it's hit. Great for setting up just the right punctuations in the music but not overly loud for acoustic situations/instruments in smaller venues so far from my experience with it.

Other choices would be a 20" Turk Jazz ride for sure or maybe a 19" Mel Lewis if you would like a more rich and lush sounding pie that has a a nice stick and a full crash sound.

Great looking cymbal Swiss. My mate at Mehmet speaks highly and fondly of Agop.

Thanks for your advice, Stan! I'll keep looking and surely post any new items in my collection!
It's good to have guys like you here for great advice!

Here's a pic of my OM for all af you interested by the way:

You're most welcome Matthias and that's some stunning detailed hand hammering top and bottom on your 22" OM ride. What does she weigh by the way?

40160930836906889921165.jpg

capturedcran20120121173.jpg

22" SE TW, 19" SE 1 sizzle .

+15" Mehmet crash (very thin, awesome even if it's a Mehmet), 12" Mehmet Splash (not on the pic, sounds a bit trashy but goes well with the others)
+ 13" Diril AD series HiHat.

I'm happy with these guys!

No, sorry I don't have any recording equipment at home (other than the crappy microphones on my laptop and my iPhone...). But, I can tell you this cymbal is wonderful... I had just before a 22" 30th anniversary as a main tide, that I traded for this one, without a single regret!

Hi guys. New to the site...first post even. Just bought myself a pair of Istanbul Agop 14" Sultan hi hats...first purchase of the brand...Have been using Sabian HH and HHX up until now. Maybe dumb question but what is the difference between the white Istanbul logo and the black. I noticed some of the sultans have white, some black. Mine are white. Also, any feedback/pics on the 14" Sultans.... Regards.
Thanks to all who are posting..Loving the pics...my pictures to come, they should arrive this week

30th Anniversary 22"

30thride.jpg

SE jazz ride 22"

jazzride.jpg

30th Anniversary 15" hats

hatszg.jpg

kitistanbul.jpg

Last edited:
Left to right:
14" SE Hi Hats / 16" Agop Sig Crash / 22" SE Jazz Ride / 21" Mel Lewis Ride / 18" Agop Sig Crash

View attachment 51349

Scored these 14" Agop Sig Hi-Hats this past weekend used at a local drum shop. Loving them...

View attachment 51350

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. New to the site...first post even. Just bought myself a pair of Istanbul Agop 14" Sultan hi hats...first purchase of the brand...Have been using Sabian HH and HHX up until now. Maybe dumb question but what is the difference between the white Istanbul logo and the black. I noticed some of the sultans have white, some black. Mine are white. Also, any feedback/pics on the 14" Sultans.... Regards.
Thanks to all who are posting..Loving the pics...my pictures to come, they should arrive this week

Excellent! The Sultans seem really unique and interesting. Would love to try them in person.

I don't know the diff between the white versus green logos. I don't think it has to do with the pre-split era but I may be wrong.

Doesn't appear Steamer makes his way here too much any longer but... in the event he shows up - he seems to be the expert.

Istanbul Agop 14" Sultan Hi Hats.
Purchased 2nd Hand on ebay September 2012

Attachments

• P1180339.JPG
    P1180339.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 1,577
  • P1180327.JPG
    P1180327.JPG
    644.8 KB · Views: 1,534
  • P1180331.JPG
    P1180331.JPG
    757.1 KB · Views: 1,531
  • P1180337.JPG
    P1180337.JPG
    749.3 KB · Views: 1,545
  • P1180328.JPG
    P1180328.JPG
    688.5 KB · Views: 1,470
As promised...my newly purchased white label Istanbul Agop 14" Sultan Hi Hats. Bought on ebay 2nd hand September 2012.

A used Istanbul Agop 18" Traditional Thin Crash soon to follow. Also just purchased on ebay, from a guy in Aquitaine, France.

Thanks for the feedback by the way dmacc...

Back