Clear snare batter heads with brushes

I've used clear snare heads before, and they work pretty well. I figure that it wont work, but would brushes work on a clear head? I hate the coating on snare heads because the coating comes off and gets all over the drums.

Brushes work best on a coated head.
The coating is rough and the brushes produce more sound.

I like the coating on Aquarian and Evans heads the best.
I find that it last a long time.
Remo coating seems to wear off faster.

The point of brushes are the brushing sound that is played when you swirl the brushes on the head. The coating on the drum head is what causes this friction and a smooth surface like a clear head wont make any sound whatsoever! So basically, it wont work.

The coating on coated heads shouldnt come off that much. If you play right, you can make your heads last for a long time, if needed.

Coated heads are really the ONLY option for brushes, sorry.

If you're that opposed to a coated head, you could give an Evans J1 etched head a shot.

Another thing that you could do is set up a second snare drum with a coated head and switch drums when you want to use brushes.

It's almost futile trying to play brushes on a smooth head. Strongly recommend the coated.

Yep.

If you're going to play brushes, you need a coated head.

Just switch to another brand if your current coating keeps coming off. The aforementioned Aquarian and Evans are excellent options.

I figured it wouldnt work knowing how brushes work, but it was worth a try to ask. Everytime I hit my snare drum, light or hard, some flecks of the coating come up and get all over my drums and they stick to the wrap on the shells. After 3 weeks with the head, a got like a 4" wide spot on my snare head where the coating has come off. Maybe its my stock head, but I've had the coating come off on a coated Evans snare head, so I dont know.

Hey man, I've got nothing to add to this.. as others said, brushes won't do anything very nice on clear heads.

I just posted this to congratulate you for your nickname, "rides are awesome", LOL, made me laugh my ass off. It's probably the funniest name I've seen on any forum. :D

Well, nevermind, haha. Cheers.

I figured it wouldnt work knowing how brushes work, but it was worth a try to ask. Everytime I hit my snare drum, light or hard, some flecks of the coating come up and get all over my drums and they stick to the wrap on the shells. After 3 weeks with the head, a got like a 4" wide spot on my snare head where the coating has come off. Maybe its my stock head, but I've had the coating come off on a coated Evans snare head, so I dont know.

The coating will eventually come off of Every head, but these days, the coating on an Aquarian or Evans head will last - and surely not shed flecks with every hit. Something else is part of this equation.

You don't happen to have sandpaper or pointed edges on your sticks, do you? :)

The coating will eventually come off of Every head, but these days, the coating on an Aquarian or Evans head will last - and surely not shed flecks with every hit. Something else is part of this equation.

You don't happen to have sandpaper or pointed edges on your sticks, do you? :)

Haha, no, but that would be an interesting drum stick right there...I think its probably that my batter head is tuned too tight, but thats the only way to get a good sound out of it with the stock head

A tight tuning will not make a coated head go nuclear. Something else is part of this.

I tried to roughen up clear heads with sand paper. That doesen't work either. Besides, it makes them look "crappy". The sd head was the only coated head I had on my Zickos drums (still miss them). :-( The rest were blue hydrolic. Just be sure you have good quality coated heads.

A tight tuning will not make a coated head go nuclear. Something else is part of this.

The first week I had my set I didnt like the sound of my snare drum, but a friend of mine showed me how to properly tune it, and once he did, the first time he hit it, the head got marked, and since then it flakes off with each hit

If you don't like a coated head for brushes try a Fiberskyn head.

If you don't like a coated head for brushes try a Fiberskyn head.

Or the Aquarian Vintage series; they have a slightly thicker coating that lasts forever...or Evans J1; it's an etched head and shouldn't flake at all.

The Fiberskyns tend to bubble up after a while. I've played 5 of them and they never lasted longer than a couple months. I know others have had better luck than I did, I just hate to see this happen to you if you are already frustrated with flaking coating.

Or the Aquarian Vintage series; they have a slightly thicker coating that lasts forever...or Evans J1; it's an etched head and shouldn't flake at all.

The Fiberskyns tend to bubble up after a while. I've played 5 of them and they never lasted longer than a couple months. I know others have had better luck than I did, I just hate to see this happen to you if you are already frustrated with flaking coating.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Remo Emperor, but thank you for more ideas. Ive still got time before I change heads, so I'm gonna consider those.

Back