Mike Portnoy

I love them all but for me Scenes From A Memory is a masterpiece!

Just my opinion
DT&ME.jpg

mike%20amd%20me.jpg

I believe Mike Portnoy is one of the best drummers out in a touring band right now. His playing is creative and precise. I always thought he was amazing listening to their different CD's but when I bought the Mike Portnoy Anthology book I was blown away. There are so many more hidden notes and rudiments that you stumble upon in the book that are hard to catch on their recordings. It was a great learning experience.

I just think overall musically the band is amazing. I have been to three of their shows and they never mess up. You listen to their live recordings and they never mess up or are sloppy. Everything is played precise. The craziest thing about it is they are usually playing 3hr.+ long sets. Seriously, to be able to play the music they do and be close to flawless for 3+hrs. is nothing but amazing.

So yes, I suppose he is high up on the list for my favorites. :)

Portnoy and Dream Theater

Ive been a fan of DT for a long time. DT is the greatest band ever live so far in this planet. There style varies alot from other bands yet, keeping the elements that make them be DT like the odd times and fast shredding solos. Ive heard many bands and no one like them. No one. The rest of the bands I can say they sound the same in all there albums. DT's music structure is unbelievable. TOT 3 weeks to write!!!!!???? GOD DAM. What band in this world does that.

As per MP, I admire him. I have all his collections of signature series. Good drummer. I repect his playing and musicality towards DT and further projects. I can say that he is not the best or the worst, or better than Tony Royster or Thomas Lang. His style is unique and thats what makes him one of the best in his line up (category).

Adios...

Re: Portnoy and Dream Theater

. TOT 3 weeks to write!!!!!???? GOD DAM. What band in this world does that.

Adios...

I have to say that the more albums they keep turning out, the more it sounds like it's taking them a few weeks to make them. They've found a formula which they tweak here and there to produce a new album. DT are a band that's coasting, and doing very nicely out of it too. It's a shame they don't still have the musical curiosity they showed on 'Awake'.

I have to say that the more albums they keep turning out, the more it sounds like it's taking them a few weeks to make them. They've found a formula which they tweak here and there to produce a new album. DT are a band that's coasting, and doing very nicely out of it too. It's a shame they don't still have the musical curiosity they showed on 'Awake'.

awake wasn't the best album from DT. and yes it took them more time to produce but thats because there skills of writing music so quick wasn't strong enough like now. Six Degrees was another amazing album and better than awake (in my opinion) and it didnt take them as much as Awake.

Well, I agree in part. "Train" was a sledgehammer. I love it to death. "octavarium" was middling to me, but "Systematic" was a step back into a grittier realm. I admit I enjoy thier latter efforts a bit more than you do, but agree they aren't as original sounding as previous efforts.

awake wasn't the best album from DT. and yes it took them more time to produce but thats because there skills of writing music so quick wasn't strong enough like now. Six Degrees was another amazing album and better than awake (in my opinion) and it didnt take them as much as Awake.

I wonder whether it's more that they're thinking with more business acumen - they've settled on a sound that works as a trademark and pleases a certain fanbase, young men with a passion for the internet perhaps. It seems that they have two fanbases, one for the earlier material and one for the latter.

Personally I believe that Mike Portnoy is one of the more tallented drummers that I've come across in a long time. He is a pretty technical drummer and seems to be a jack of all trades type of drummer.

Which is what I enjoy about him.

I don't believe MP and DT rip off other bands, but that if there is other things that they learn from other bands they use it. The way I see it, without seeming like some hippy tripping on acid, is that part of the allure of music is due to it almost being infinite. One drummer or musician is not capable of coming up with every single tiny minute concept. That's what makes music so great, every serious musician has something that they can bring to the stage. Its not a competition on who is the better drummer, but every drummer that has different tricks, tips, and knacks that other drummers can learn from.

I mean I guarantee that's what most of you all do as drummers. You learn through listening to other drummers play.

Mike Portnoy might not be a pro at odd time sigs, he might not be the fastest drummer, the best double bass drummer, but he has a very strong foundation in all of that. So who cares if he's not the best.

In music, and drumming, the best music and drums is not necessarily always the most technical concept that can be played with ease. Sometimes simplicity is necessary and best. Just like in the military sometimes keeping the plans very simple is the best way to get things done. What I enjoy about MP drumming is that after studying him for probably about 5 years now, I've found that his drumming is in reality is typically not that hard to play. But he does seem to have a special intuition in the music he writes. Some of his drumming is very simple, but very few people would of thought of playing a song like that.

Great example, the song "the Mirror" off of Awake album. Petrucci the guitarist plays a simple lick practically though out the whole song as MP is playing simple drum beats. But what he does to change the entire feel of the song is change the time signatures or alter the drum beat instead of focusing on down beats to up beats. He is capable of coming up with things that in reality are very simple, that most drummers would have missed. MP has very strong base knowledge of music theory that really works for this band.

It seems that they have two fanbases, one for the earlier material and one for the latter.

I think so too. I myself lean towards their earlier material, I actually enjoyed When Dream and Day Unite (their 1st album with Charlie Dominici on vocals) most. Six Degrees is a masterpiece, but Train of Thought, despite having some great stuff on there, had a tendency for the songs being too long and repetitive.
In my point of view it all went downhill from there. Some good music on Octavarium and Systematic Chaos, but as a whole it's beginning to sound like more of the same to me.

I think so too. I myself lean towards their earlier material, I actually enjoyed When Dream and Day Unite (their 1st album with Charlie Dominici on vocals) most. Six Degrees is a masterpiece, but Train of Thought, despite having some great stuff on there, had a tendency for the songs being too long and repetitive.
In my point of view it all went downhill from there. Some good music on Octavarium and Systematic Chaos, but as a whole it's beginning to sound like more of the same to me.

Personally, I've never been much a fan of When Dream and Day Unite. I think it has a few good songs on there and some good concepts, but it has too much of an 80's feel to it that I'm not much of a fan of.

It does seem though that DT is moving towards a more heavier side now. But never the less I always find interesting new concepts that I've never thought of in all their albums.

But Six Degrees is definatlly a masterpiece, I could not agree more.

Also Metropolis pt. 2 I think is also a master piece. Its very rare to find a band that is capable of telling a full on story or play through their music.

MP and DT kick A!!

Any protege' of NP HAS to have the sense to know quality drumming when he hears/see it.

And that's NOT to say that Mike Portnoy hasn't established his own style, influence and following. 'Cause he most certainly has!

He's fantastic in his own right!

Period.

Last edited:
Not a fan, sorry. In that style of play I prefer Virgil Donati. Ok, Mike is a great drummer, but I don't find his drumming attractive, it's a matter of taste

This band, HAKEN, have a lot of DT influences.

Our first couple of demos have received a great response and are featured on the myspace page www.myspace.com/hakenmusic

We're currently working on developing our own sound in the form of our debut album to be released Jan 2010. I would say we definitely share that element of intense technical prog metal with DT and wouldn't sound like we do if it weren't for such an incredibly inovative band (including of course Mr Mike Portnoy!)

I met him! He's a pretty nice guy actually.

Plays just a bit too busy in my opinion, but can play AMAZING things!

Their new album is amazing. A lot more "metal" than most of their other albums, but it still is great. A Nightmare To Remember, my favorite song, is just mindblowing.

Back