View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Raising your game to work with pro's. Tips, tricks and advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang A Drum Bang Ur Momma View Post

Make sure you have a good place to practice for a minimum of 30 minutes a day untill your next gig/rehearsal.
There's all kinds of "silent" drum heads and cymbals you can buy these days to practice.
Find out what bands they are the most in to these days.
Study all those band's drummers and try to get in to their headspaces as far as how they approach their drum performances.
(Like what makes them tick)
Always be warmed up before the gigs and rehearsals.
Set a practice schedule for yourself throughout the week/month.
Set up your drums somewhere just to test out if all your hardware is in good working order.
Replace any broken drum heads and have your kit tuned up before your next gig/rehearsal.
All these things helps me with my anxiety about performance.

It's funny too because I'm in a really similar situation to your right now as well!

I'm getting ready to buy the DW "Go anywhere" practice pad kit for practice, sense I have to work out songs that already haves drums on them. The silence of the practice pads should help me monitor myself while listening to the playback of the recordings.
Thanks for the input. Your comment must have been awaiting moderation as it showed up after some of the others in the thread.

I'm very fortunate in that I live alone on 25 acres of land with my nearest neighbour about 250 yards from me. I can (and do) practice for an hour or two every day without disturbing a soul. I've made more progress in the past 18 months than the previous fifteen years combined, thanks to daily practice. Not surprising, really, given that I played for a dozen hours or less in total between 1999 and 2014.

Good luck with your new bandmates!