View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Why Do I Play Drums?

I happened to grow up in a household where music was playing almost constantly. My older siblings were all way into listening to music, but somewhat interestingly no one played an instrument (my oldest brother has dabbled in guitar over the years, but really only knows a handful of chords). Even at an early age I was always fascinated by the drums and drummers. I was maybe 12 years old, and was hanging out with a friend after school one day who played drums. I was watching him play his kit, and he asked if I wanted to give it a try. So I sat down, and I could somewhat hold a steady beat. He said to me that he didn't know I was also a drummer; I said "me neither!" I asked my parents if they could take me to get a pair of drumsticks, and away I went. 44 years old, still playing, still gigging, still love it. I try to instill in my kids that playing an instrument is something you can enjoy doing your entire life; the jury is out on whether they're buying in lol. They're young, plenty of time.