Looking back - 4 piece vs. 6 piece.

Andy

Honorary Member
I've been playing in the same cover band now for 7 years. For the first 5 years, I used a 6 piece kit for every gig + rehearsal. Two years ago I switched to a 4 piece. I was lead by kit availability convenience more than anything else. Anyhow, the practical reasons for changing aren't that interesting.

In anything else I do, & have done in the past, I've always let the musical situation dictate the drums I use (well, except for when I first started out, then looking cool + drummer influences also mattered).

Anyway, the cover band - of course, I can play the same number of notes on a 4 piece as I can a 6 piece, so there's no restriction there. For the last two years, I've been happy with the results on a 4 piece, until I had occasion to look over some old videos. I found that not only does my playing now lack a little tonal colour & theatre, I was also playing some of the parts differently. In other words, without a conscious effort, I've let the kit steer my interpretation to some degree.

So now I'm thinking of going back to a 6 piece - maybe. My reason for posting this little ramble is that kit changes when moving from one musical context to another are common, but the chance to examine the long term affect of change within the same act, not so much.

Four of my six kits are 4-piece. The logic for smaller kits to me is practical: less stage space and less to haul around. I used to regularly gig with 7-piece kits. Loved the tonal options it gave me and I resisted scaling down for years. I eventually acknowledged my age and back issues, however, and made the switch. I've learned to adapt and of course my fills are different. There isn't a time ending "Working for the Weekend," that I don't regret having a bigger kit at the gig. Usually keep the 5- or 7-piece kit set up at the house though!

I've also found that, for better or worse, the kit configuration influences my playing. I'm not surprised you have discovered the same thing. Heck, I remember way back when you were playing that Spaun kit. :)

Speaking for myself, the only reasons I switched to fewer pieces were cost and laziness. I wanted to carry fewer pieces. I still love playing a bigger kit, though.

I say go for it, Andy!

Last edited:
I've scaled back numerous times to feel the 'magic' a smaller kit has on my playing. I'll admit, it definitely has an impact, but I like a lot of prog rock and the limited toms, while do lead to creativity, become limiting when trying be creative long fill after long fill. If I had multiple kits, one of them would for sure be a 4 piece with hats, ride and one crash and the other a 6 or 7 piece with as many cymbals.

I think I'm in the same boat. I've been steadfast 4-piece guy for years, but there was one gig this past summer where I brought out NINE drums and absolutely loved being behind this wall and enjoying all that resonance from all those drums ringing in unison. It was an awesome experience. So I may settle using my six-piece out of the house more often.

I still love four-piece kits, but if I have the space and the time, I'll use more.

the difference for me between a 4 and a 6 piece kit is one extra trip from the car, so I've never worried about the amount of stuff. Space and style of music dictates if my 4 or 6 comes out, but I prefer the 6.

I also think that there is some stage presence and showmanship to having a little bigger kit as well. its probably a result of being high school age in the 80's and the monster kits that were the norm until 90's grunge cleared the decks. I used to like going to see local shows and I knew who the drummer was before he/she came out from the drum set on stage.

play what makes you happy!

Andy your band warrants the use of a 6 piece. You're a heavy rock band. IMO a 4 piece is a little light on toms for your situation.

I like the five piece. 3 toms, high medium and low. I feel a bit lacking when my middle tom is gone. The 6 piece to me is a luxury. I don't use my toms enough to warrant a 6 piece, but I do gig my 6 piece Yolanda when I gig her about once every 2 months.

Andy your band warrants the use of a 6 piece. You're a heavy rock band. IMO a 4 piece is a little light on toms for your situation.
I think you're right Larry. Maybe not every gig, but I feel a gear up change coming with the acquisition of the new singer.

This little old series of clips is one of the examples that got me thinking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbE4rOmfj9U

the difference for me between a 4 and a 6 piece kit is one extra trip from the car, so I've never worried about the amount of stuff.
I'm with you on that - it's a non issue.

I still love four-piece kits, but if I have the space and the time, I'll use more.
That's a practical approach that makes sense.

I've scaled back numerous times to feel the 'magic' a smaller kit has on my playing.
There is that element, but I've experienced a negative too. It's a balance, but I'm currently lacking flavours & a bit of presence too.

I've also found that, for better or worse, the kit configuration influences my playing.
This was my big surprise. It sort of crept up on me.

There isn't a time ending "Working for the Weekend," that I don't regret having a bigger kit at the gig.
This sums it up for me. The move back to 6 piece will practically affect less than 5% of my playing time with this act, but there's a wider "vibe" picture that I've failed to appreciate. Guess I just got comfortable with the same act.

Take this early clip as an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1b-cabdDg Not a massive use of the extra toms, but there's a raw performance edge that's now missing. That's partly me getting over comfortable, but it's also a kit driven thing too!

Well Andy it's a no brainer-you have all those beautiful drums so why not bring the larger kit with more eye and ear candy. I have to agree also for the type of music you play the bigger kit is a better fit. Makes you look more like a rock demigod just without the spandex lol. So you are retiring the Big Walnut or just using it for practice? And with the new singer and a bigger kit you can take on some new challenging songs and that's always something to look forward to. The only downside is more drums to pack and bring but hey you can make the new singer a roadie too hee,hee,hee.

not one use of the bar Chimes in your video Andy. I am sad.

I have been using a four Piece for years now and recently just ordered add on 10" and 16" toms for my 20/12/14 Noble and Cooley kit. I have an e-kit hat ai rehearse with that has 4 toms and I have really started to enjoy the extra toms and the fill and groove possibilities. Will I gig with a 6 piece all the time ? No, I have become so used to a 4 piece and I love the compactness and how close I can get my ride cymbal with a four piece kit.

I succumbed - Tuesday's rehearsal (3 piece) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLu08ua94hM&feature=youtu.be

Well Andy it's a no brainer-you have all those beautiful drums so why not bring the larger kit with more eye and ear candy.
True

not one use of the bar Chimes in your video Andy. I am sad.
Busted - will rectify

I have become so used to a 4 piece and I love the compactness and how close I can get my ride cymbal with a four piece kit.
This setup actually takes up less stage space than my 4 piece with stands. See picture below, but my gigging set has an extra crash + two splashes.

Attachments

• 6 piece front 900.jpg
    6 piece front 900.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 653
On a side note, Andy, I actually checked out some Amedia cymbals at NAMM this year (was this their first year? I don't recall them being there last year) and I have to say I was impressed with what I could hear on that loud convention floor. A lot of the models felt good and sounded good to me. THere's another brand I may look up when it comes time to choosing some new metal.

Thanks for the heads up on that brand ;)

That is a beautiful little rack! Looks much less like scaffolding than my Pearl Icon monstrosity :)

What sort of rack is it? I am very interested although not wanting to really spend money :).

But I am 100% for switching to a 4-piece kit! That's what I've been playing for years, (7 including an aux snare), and the tonal variety is just light years beyond what you can do with a 4-piece kit. I don't care what anyone else about being 'forced into creativity' with a smaller kit, I actually call it 'forced into compromise' since you don't have access to all the sounds you could be using. A piano typically has 88 keys (some have more!), why should a drummer only have 4 pieces when practicality is not an issue? Plenty of guitarists are opting for anywhere between 7-10 strings these days, bassists might use 5 or 6, so why are drummers the only ones going backwards?

Of course, I still stand by that you should only bring what you need to a gig or rehearsal, and if that means a 3-piece with hats, then just bring the 3-piece with hats.

What sort of rack is it?
it's a Yamaha Hexrack II.

Of course, I still stand by that you should only bring what you need to a gig or rehearsal, and if that means a 3-piece with hats, then just bring the 3-piece with hats.
& that's exactly where this change is coming from. I'll continue to play a 4 piece as appropriate, but this particular gig has been missing some extra flavours, & also some performance + visual aspect associated with the kit. It took me a while playing a 4 piece in this gig to realise this.

On a side note, Andy, I actually checked out some Amedia cymbals at NAMM this year (was this their first year?
They've been there for the last few years I believe. For me, not only do they tick every sonic requirement box, I also get great pricing + a custom build service if required. They're building me a custom 22" thin Galata series crash right now. Should get it next month. It will replace the 20" crash you see to my right on the video clip. I wanted a deeper / bigger voice but in a form that gets out of the way quickly.

I dig everything about that kit. the rack is amazing too. someday....... :-/
Thank you :) That's a Guru website shot. My actual setup has one less cymbal upright, but more cymbals. I use a Yamaha triple holder on top of each upright - each upright supporting 3 cymbals.

I agree with Larry. I've seen numerous clips of your band over the years, and the band favors songs that were recorded with multiple-tom kits. You may be able to pull it off, but your limiting the chosen music with just a 4pc.

That said, I set up my kit as a 6pc for the first time in forever the other day. I can't get the additional tom in any place that feels comfortable.

5pc is the way to go.

Amedia has been in the US for about 10 years now. My local drum shop here in Portland was the first store in the US to have them and had exclusive rights for a couple years I think. Now they're everywhere.

I got my first Amedia back in 2006, I got a few more over the past 5 years or so. Great cymbals, and they were cheaper than Zildjian K's and stuff.

And as far as aethestics go, their Arzats look amazing (I have an 18").

Here's a pic of my bop set with 3 of my Amedias (have a fourth setup on my other drums)

3 up, 2 down for recording but gigging & rehearsing will always be 1 up 1 down unless I have someone willing to do the lugging.

I succumbed - Tuesday's rehearsal (3 piece) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLu08ua94hM&feature=youtu.be

True

Busted - will rectify

This setup actually takes up less stage space than my 4 piece with stands. See picture below, but my gigging set has an extra crash + two splashes.

This is my 6 piece setup actually, including location and type of cymbals, though I use stands. I recently bought an Alesis and I may drop the 8" and use a sample on the few occasions I use it. Edit - Yikes sorry the pic is so big.

Attachments

• rgb am.jpg
    rgb am.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Back