George Kollias here...

Re: George Kollias

Thank you all for your great support guys,i really appreciate it.....
It's great to be in Drummerworld, Bernhard and Drummerworld are definitely true supporters of drumming and i feel very honored to be here as well.Keep supporting Drummerworld!
Thanks again and cheers to all!

George

Re: George Kollias

Hi George

Was a big pleasure to build the site for you - so great drumming.

Thanks for joining the forum - what a nice surprise!!!!

See you soon....

Bernhard

Hello George!

Great to have you here. I saw a video of you and Thomas Lang a while back. Were there any ideas exchanged between you two and if so, what were they?

Thanks!

Tom

Hey George,
Its good to have you here. I want you to know that you have a major fan following here in India. (That includes me too)

Now theres this major problem I'm facing. When I practice on the floor, I seem to have complete control over my feet up to 210 bpm. However when I play on the kit the same motion is not translated to the skin. I've figured out that there is a slight lag in the slave pedal. Other than replacing the pedal is there any way of overcoming this problem?

Also any verdict on the demondrives ?

(PS I'm a good friend of your lawyer Mr. Shashwat Gupta hehe)

Cheers,
Hamza.

Hello George!

Great to have you here. I saw a video of you and Thomas Lang a while back. Were there any ideas exchanged between you two and if so, what were they?

Thanks!

Tom
Ha ha,that was just a fun jam on my drum pads backstage.I invite him to come see the show and we just spend a whole day talking drums.Thomas,other than one of my all time favorite drummers is also one of the coolest persons you will ever meet...

Hey George,
Its good to have you here. I want you to know that you have a major fan following here in India. (That includes me too)

Now theres this major problem I'm facing. When I practice on the floor, I seem to have complete control over my feet up to 210 bpm. However when I play on the kit the same motion is not translated to the skin. I've figured out that there is a slight lag in the slave pedal. Other than replacing the pedal is there any way of overcoming this problem?

Also any verdict on the demondrives ?

(PS I'm a good friend of your lawyer Mr. Shashwat Gupta hehe)

Cheers,
Hamza.
Hey man,
give to my brother Shashwat my greetings!

The Demon Drive is an awesome pedal,totally amazed from the quality and the features it has.I played it for 2 days when i was in Finland for a Clinic with Pearl.I still use Axis though,i am using them for the last 8 or so years and they are definitely work the best for me.

Practicing on the floor doesn't really help...If you want to do serious work get on your drumkit,period...

Whats up George? Its great to have you on this board.

I tried the demon drive as well, it was a really nice pedal, slightly heavier feel than axis and a little more powerful. One of the best double pedals you can buy, you can't tell a difference between the slave and master pedals. For two single pedals though, i'll stay with axis as well, still the best pedals out there in many ways.

I've got to get practicing, keep us updated on the new Nile album!

Hello George,
Long time not seen...since the Planet X live in Athens...remember?

I joined the drummerworld forum at last! I wish you the best and i hope i'll be able to go out for coffee with you and Stelios soon... the 2 times we'he been met were AMAZING for me!

Hey George,
I have your dvd and was wondering if you have any plans to put out a book that has all the exercises on the dvd? I really like the dvd a lot but i would really like to have all the exercises prented out that way i can work on them all.

Hey George,
Thanks for info :)
The thing is i get only 2 hours to jam daily so on the kit I practice other things like polyrhythms and dynamics, guess I'l have to squeeze in some double bass there hehe.
Btw congratulations on your endorsement (I'm a bit late though)

Cheers.

Hi George firstly i just wanted to say that you are a huge inspiration to me and although i'm not a death metal drummer, i greatly admire how you can play at the tempos you do throughout one of your shows it's really awesome. I'm sure you hear these types of questions all of the time but just a couple on double bass work.

I play heel up and can play 200 BPM competently although with me purchasing a new pedal recently, finding my desired settings has become a bit more difficult so i am still altering my set up. I watched a couple of your clinic videos on youtube about ankle motion and about how you can achieve speeds greater than 210 using this, however i can't seem to get in a position comfortable enough to play using my ankles. Is this a technique that i will have to completely relearn how to play double bass? It seems that i can't physically bring myself to play that fast even after 4 years!

Also just out of curiosity how high do you sit on your throne and, How is your spring tension? I know everyone is different but i just wanted to know so it could possibly help me with learning this motion.

Is direct drive a really important aspect of playing faster speeds? as i use a Sleishman double pedal.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Hi George ! Im honored to see you in this forum.
Since i started my drumming (like 17 months ago) you had always been my idol hehe.
I just got a few questions are simple questions i wont ask you to explain me anything :D.
Ok:
1.-What's your max speed on the double bass and on the hands (of course your max controlable speed) ? (BPM 16th notes).
2.-What grip do you use ? Fingers, Wrist, You mix them ?
3.-Does really Air drumming help to the double bass speed (I mean when you do air drumming with your feet with the pass of time you feel it helped you or what really helped you is to sit on the drumkit ) ?
4.-When you wake up from the bed you can do your entire max speed sitting in the drumkit or you must first warm up for a while ?
5.-When you achieve a nice double bass speed (i mean when for first time in your drumming life you achieve a quickly double bass) how you felt ?

Last edited:
Hey George

im a really big fan and a beginner drummer myself, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to start double bass drumming, i have the pedals its just how to do the foot technique because every time i try my beat is uneven and i run out of energy in 10 seconds

it would be really great if you could help me

one of your biggest fans

Vivek

Hey George

im a really big fan and a beginner drummer myself, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to start double bass drumming, i have the pedals its just how to do the foot technique because every time i try my beat is uneven and i run out of energy in 10 seconds

it would be really great if you could help me

one of your biggest fans

Vivek
Hi Vivek,
getting into double bass is very easy, what you really have to understand from the beginning AND later on is that your right foot will be leading... This is what i'm thinking most times and on most patterns, if my right foot is on the beat then we are "ok".
As for your endurance, well this actually comes with months and years of playing, your problem though sounds like you are playing very "tight" and you need to relax a little bit...Try some double bass at the lowest volume you can, you'll find out it's actually harder to control your feet but will help you to relax when you play at normal volume.

Hope it helps...

George

Hi George ! Im honored to see you in this forum.
Since i started my drumming (like 17 months ago) you had always been my idol hehe.
I just got a few questions are simple questions i wont ask you to explain me anything :D.
Ok:
1.-What's your max speed on the double bass and on the hands (of course your max controlable speed) ? (BPM 16th notes).
2.-What grip do you use ? Fingers, Wrist, You mix them ?
3.-Does really Air drumming help to the double bass speed (I mean when you do air drumming with your feet with the pass of time you feel it helped you or what really helped you is to sit on the drumkit ) ?
4.-When you wake up from the bed you can do your entire max speed sitting in the drumkit or you must first warm up for a while ?
5.-When you achieve a nice double bass speed (i mean when for first time in your drumming life you achieve a quickly double bass) how you felt ?

1.16th notes, max speed? I have done some 280bpm 16ths hands and feet, but it really doesn't matter, don't get obsessed with the bpm thing cause it always depends on your good day. At those tempos, the ammount of energy and pushing is getting out of control, some times we play our fastest songs and the band complaints i am going too fast....means adrenaline is UP THERE....

2.Of course i mix wrists and fingers, but the main power comes from wrists (moeller motion), i like playing hard and also wrists deliver more control, depends on what you are playing though....always!

3.I don't think Air Drumming does anything,i do it all the time cause i am a drummer and i can't relax (ha ha) but it's just natural. What it REALLY helps is get yourself on your kit, this is what really works and i wish you have this opportunity to jam on your kit everyday...cause some drummers don't have that.

4.No, it's like waking up and running as fast as you can....your feet might fall off...ha ha ha

5.We went out for party, got drunk and marked the day so we can celebrate every year...ha ha,i am joking of course.Well, unfortunately it doesn't just come like that, it takes time, practice, rehearsals, shows...your muscles work different under all these situations.What i would say to you is ENJOY the way up even if it's speed or technique or whatever, drumming is not an achievement but fun!

George

Hi George firstly i just wanted to say that you are a huge inspiration to me and although i'm not a death metal drummer, i greatly admire how you can play at the tempos you do throughout one of your shows it's really awesome. I'm sure you hear these types of questions all of the time but just a couple on double bass work.
Thanks man..

I play heel up and can play 200 BPM competently although with me purchasing a new pedal recently, finding my desired settings has become a bit more difficult so i am still altering my set up. I watched a couple of your clinic videos on youtube about ankle motion and about how you can achieve speeds greater than 210 using this, however i can't seem to get in a position comfortable enough to play using my ankles. Is this a technique that i will have to completely relearn how to play double bass? It seems that i can't physically bring myself to play that fast even after 4 years!
Well, many drummers ask me this and they think ankle motion is a new technique or something.It's the natural evolution of your motion in order to play faster....the more you try the more you get it and one day YOU WILL get it even if you want it or not....always if you keep pushing up the tempos.
Think about this, you push your legs and you get up to a certain speed, then you get faster and you see your body is asking you to use more toes and less legs. That's where you are using your ankles more to get the front part of your foot to play faster.Knowing the results from drummers that can do it, your approach will be a lot easier and quicker....it's really simple, and you also need to relax a lot, when you work on motion or technique try to always be relaxed and analyze everything.

Also just out of curiosity how high do you sit on your throne and,
A little more than 90 degrees.Just enough to loose my ankles a little more but still low enough to keep the power.

How is your spring tension?
Tight as much as it gets.With my Axis A Longboards this is not funny, ha ha

I know everyone is different but i just wanted to know so it could possibly help me with learning this motion.
You are not learning a new thing, you are getting what you have on another level.

Is direct drive a really important aspect of playing faster speeds? as i use a Sleishman double pedal.
Direct Drive is better, i use Axis A Longboards but i also use a starp drive Eliminator on my jazz set, pretty much same speed on both...

Hey George,
Thanks for info :)
The thing is i get only 2 hours to jam daily so on the kit I practice other things like polyrhythms and dynamics, guess I'l have to squeeze in some double bass there hehe.
Btw congratulations on your endorsement (I'm a bit late though)

Cheers.
Thanks,
my Masterworks just arrived actually:
http://www.georgekollias.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1808
(sorry for posting another forum's link here...)

Hey George,
I have your dvd and was wondering if you have any plans to put out a book that has all the exercises on the dvd? I really like the dvd a lot but i would really like to have all the exercises prented out that way i can work on them all.
No book, the "book" idea what the Intense Metal Drumming (with plenty more info there since it would be a book) but i thought the visual information is much more understandable and fun to watch so i did the DVD. I will be making another DVD late 2010 though...

All the exercises will posted on my Website after the DVD does it's own circle.

Hello George,
Long time not seen...since the Planet X live in Athens...remember?

I joined the drummerworld forum at last! I wish you the best and i hope i'll be able to go out for coffee with you and Stelios soon... the 2 times we'he been met were AMAZING for me!
Virgil killed both times!
That was great time there bro.

Whats up George? Its great to have you on this board.

I tried the demon drive as well, it was a really nice pedal, slightly heavier feel than axis and a little more powerful. One of the best double pedals you can buy, you can't tell a difference between the slave and master pedals. For two single pedals though, i'll stay with axis as well, still the best pedals out there in many ways.

I've got to get practicing, keep us updated on the new Nile album!
The new Nile album is done, will be out in a few weeks...

Back