"Legs" Larry Smith

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Early this morning, it occurred to me that there was no mention anywhere on here of the great "Legs" Larry Smith, of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band! This might be because no-one's heard of him or them, but in that case, here's a thread for him and them!

They (the Bonzos) were/are all fine musicians, but I imagine the comedy aspects of their music meant that they weren't judged so much on the basis of their musicianship.

For those of you needing an introduction to the band...

I'm The Urban Spaceman - A live version of their most famous song, plus two others

Canyons Of Your Mind - Featuring the greatest guitar solo ever (in colour!). They're miming in this one, without too much concern for realism.

'Canyons' again, but agonisingly live! Followed by 'Trouser Press'

That should do for a start. The last one is by far the best, so if you only watch one of them, make it that one!

There, that should do for a start.

Re: "Legs" Larry Smith and the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

OH MAN!!!
I LOVE THEM!!

I grew up listening to this stuff.

"Shirt", and "Trouser Press" are my favourites :)

Such a classic band, but I've never paid attention to the drumming whilst listening to them. I'll have to go back and have another listen then!

I'm a BIG fan of them, and followed up with most of the solo albums that followed (most of which were imports to the US.) There's a recent batch of CD reissues w/bonus tracks from Holland that's terrific.

Bermuda

Brilliant, My Dad got me turned on to them at a young age and in turn my kids love them. They were listening to them only today,( they're only 2 & 3 YRS OLD). they love " Hunting Tigers" and "Mr Slaters Parrot". every one a classic.

Ooh, glad it's not just me! Ah, Bermuda, I should have known you'd be a fan! Which solo albums would be good to look out for?

My dad's brother was good friends with one or two of the band in the late 60's, i remember my dad telling me how Larry Smith came round to his house and showed him some rudiments on my dad's kit when he was a teenager.
Thats my very poor claim to fame!

LOVE the Bonzos. Absolutely talented and fun band they were/are. And I agree "Legs" Larry Smith (and earlier drummer Sam Spoons) should have their own profiles here.

Found this great live footage of the Bonzos at The Bilzen Jazz & Blues Festival in Germany 1968. For those of you who have only seen them miming in promo videos, TV appearances and The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour film performing "Death Cab For Cutie", you'll be in for quite a treat:

PART 1
PART 2
PART 3

The line-up:
Vivian Stanshall - vocals/recorder
Neil Innes - vocals/guitar/piano
Roger Ruskin Spear - tenor sax/electric trouser press
Rodney Slater - tenor sax
Dennis Cowan - bass
"Legs" Larry Smith - drums/vocals

Enjoy!

Mmmm, that's nice Max!

I've just noticed "Legs" Larry is playing open-handed in some of the videos on here. I can't recall having seen anyone else from around then playing like that...can any of you guys offer a view on that?

Back