Derek Roddy here!

As always guys....I'm thankful for your kind replies......makes me blush!!! Haha.

mvikred....What's up man? I know the "busy" scenario. Story of my life! LoL.

Just wanted to post a link to my YouTube page.
Lots of video's there....maybe stuff you all haven't seen.
Anyway.....here it is and happy rockin out!

http://www.youtube.com/MrObsidian
D.

Has anybody else had trouble joining Derek's forum? I've signed up about five times starting maybe six months ago or more XD, it says my account needed to be verified by an administrator and they'd e-mail me back when it happens... It hasn't happened yet! :(

Dude I cant believe we didnt hook up in Miami!!!!
Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaaa
PM

DUDE!!! I KNOW.
Halle wasn't feeling well all that weekend and I just couldn't free myself up enough to make the trip down.
We'll hook up soon enough. You going to be around at the MD fest ( In NY)?

Looking forward to hanging.

D.

Has anybody else had trouble joining Derek's forum? I've signed up about five times starting maybe six months ago or more XD, it says my account needed to be verified by an administrator and they'd e-mail me back when it happens... It hasn't happened yet! :(

Hey man. what was your user name and e mail address you signed up under. I'll look into it.
Cheers.
D.

Hey Derek!Feel embarresed to admit it but i've been playing metal for close to 13 yrs & had'nt really listened to much of your work...until recently.I have a play along trax cd from Drumscene mag that features Virgil Donati,Jason Bittner & yourself.I love Virgil's flow & bittner feels a little sterile but i found your trax helped me out so much more.I learnt to play double bass watching an old Tommy Aldridge video,but thanx to guys like you,Chris Adler & Matt Byrne(and the net)i'm now more inspired to become a better person & player
Thanx again

I think derek roddy is amazing.

When he does his blast beats he only uses his right foot to match his hands, which in amamzin in itself

Hi guys....O.K. more free music from Serpent's Rise. Some of you may have some of these from the post I made earlier.
I just posted a new one last night.....The Polymath.

Check it out.

Right click save yaw!

Greater Equanimity
http://www.derekroddy.com/free_audio/260.mp3
Mist Suwangie
http://www.derekroddy.com/free_audio/235.mp3
Initiation Rituals
http://www.derekroddy.com/free_audio/230.mp3
Intertwine.
http://www.derekroddy.com/free_audio/Intertwine.mp3
Signs Of Identity
http://www.derekroddy.com/free_audio/serpentsrise.mp3

NEW ONE HERE!!!!!
The Polymath
http://www.derekroddy.com/free_audio/ThePolymath.mp3

These songs aren't close to being finished but, I thought you guys might like to see the progress from now until we actually record these.

This recording is live.
No tracking and only a stereo mix to the recorder.

This stuff will be "chock o block" with percussion and noises. Maybe some loops under some of it.
We have decided that Serpents Rise will be 97% instrumental also. There will be small amounts of vocals but, only where needed.

O.K. Enjoy....
or not.

These are a work in progress.
D.

Derek,
I an a huge fan and can't wait to see you at PASIC! Will you be at any of your endorser's booths?
I live in Jacksonville, FL and was wondering if you would be doing any clinics near here?

Yea...I'll be around for the whole PASIC show. Hunt me down...we'll hang and talk some drums.

Hummm....clinic in Jacksonville......any Sonor or Meinl dealers up there?
Cheers.
D.

Hey Derek!Feel embarresed to admit it but i've been playing metal for close to 13 yrs & had'nt really listened to much of your work...until recently.I have a play along trax cd from Drumscene mag that features Virgil Donati,Jason Bittner & yourself.I love Virgil's flow & bittner feels a little sterile but i found your trax helped me out so much more.I learnt to play double bass watching an old Tommy Aldridge video,but thanx to guys like you,Chris Adler & Matt Byrne(and the net)i'm now more inspired to become a better person & player
Thanx again

Haha....glad the trax helped out there brother.....and THANKS for the props.

D.

Dude it is AWESOME that a drummer of your caliber would focus some time on other drummers such as us...I LOVE IT...thanks a TON...we appreciate your time and giving heart!

Dude it is AWESOME that a drummer of your caliber would focus some time on other drummers such as us...I LOVE IT...thanks a TON...we appreciate your time and giving heart!

Isn't that what it's all about?.....Haha.
Thanks a lot drumhead61!

D.

Hi Derek,

Quick but odd question:

How do you keep your hair in such good condition?!?! haha!

My hair isn't as long, but it grows much the same as yours and keeping it's a drag. So if you're bored and have a few minutes, there's an odd one for you! LOL

Thanks bro!

T

Hahaha....if my wife saw this.... she'd roll over laughing!

I actually don't do much of anything to it.
Wash it....that's it. I keep it up about 95% of the time. The only time it's down is... if I'm performing or for photos.
It gets the most damage from the sticks tearing it out!

I'd cut it all off..... but, the Mrs. wouldn't be too happy about that.
She likes it....so, I keep it. LoL.

D.

Hahaha....if my wife saw this.... she'd roll over laughing!

I actually don't do much of anything to it.
Wash it....that's it. I keep it up about 95% of the time. The only time it's down is... if I'm performing or for photos.
It gets the most damage from the sticks tearing it out!

I'd cut it all off..... but, the Mrs. wouldn't be too happy about that.
She likes it....so, I keep it. LoL.

D.

Hahaha, thanks man! I'm pretty much the same in that I have it up all the time. See my Mrs. HATES my hair! But I love it, and when I cut it before I totally regretted it, so for now we can both be metal.

Btw Do you write the riffs for Serpents rise? I know you wrote some of "It is our will" by Hate Eternal, and that's my favourite song from I Monarch, and I'm really loving the S.R. tracks.

Thanks again.

T

Hahaha, thanks man! I'm pretty much the same in that I have it up all the time. See my Mrs. HATES my hair! But I love it, and when I cut it before I totally regretted it, so for now we can both be metal.

Btw Do you write the riffs for Serpents rise? I know you wrote some of "It is our will" by Hate Eternal, and that's my favourite song from I Monarch, and I'm really loving the S.R. tracks.

Thanks again.

T

Yeah....actually, I wrote about 95% of that stuff.
Not because I want to though.
I have an vision of what I'd like SR to sound like. Something different than all the Necro and Origin rip offs.
Fast but, open. Lots of "musical space" even though it's fast and aggressive.
I'm so tired of hearing a new metal CD come out and it's the same song 10 times in a row...just rearranged differently....with different words.

I want SR music to say something different on each track.....without words.

I remember a day of when metal records were full of dynamics and textures, interludes that connected songs.
All of that seems to be lost to "br00talness" and the "need to play fast"....not write good tunes.
There are no more peaks and valleys...no more "listening experience". Or, at least it's not common.

That said...I've found a guitarist that fits the bill very nice and he has adapted the sound very well and is writing a good bit of newer stuff.....Coming soon.

I have a full band together but I'm moving back to my home state next year and don't want to get a solid line up as of yet.
At the present time...we are just having fun playing metal. Myself and JP will continue writing music and I'm sure before we know it....will have 30 songs of crushing metal to record.

I'm in no hurry.....I want it to be right first and foremost.

Oh yes....... I wrote "IIOW" and "path of the eternal gods" on I, Monarch.

Cheers.
D.

D, yes that is what it is all about, but that does not mean that others get ahold of that concept! Of course there are many others such as yourself sharing their knowledge and time with us on here and for that I am extremely grateful...that way I will know you guys better when I GO PRO!! haha.

I am extremely grateful that you would throw out some chops for us to pick up on and better ourselves as drummers...RIGHT ON!

Isn't that what it's all about?.....Haha.
Thanks a lot drumhead61!

D.

Awesome tunes Derek... Keep it up. You should do a clinic in Nova Scotia, hahaha... I know it isn't possible XD.

Back