Brushes that project

19drum94

I play in my high school jazz band and we have some songs that require brushes. I am using the Vic Firth Steve Gadd brushes and they seem quite light. They sound good but over a big band, I can hardly hear myself. They are loud enough to be heard in small combos, but not in a band. Which brushes project the best for live big band setting?

I will have to check up on that Heritage brush. I have never heard it. I also have never played the Rake but I have heard it. I hate the Live Wires. I also heard that the Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton brushes are pretty stiff, but I have never tried them.

Check out the Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton models. Stiffer and thicker wires. I don't have use for them often but they do project.

Also the Vic Firth Jazz Brushes may be a bit more present.

The Live Wires are anything but subtle (when it comes to brush work). If it's volume your after they may be your best bet. However I can't get them to feel warm at all when I use mine.

My .02

Jim

Check out the Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton models. Stiffer and thicker wires. I don't have use for them often but they do project.

Ditto on the Jeff Hamiltons. That is all I use with a 17 pc big band and no amplification.

I've never played in a big band but just thought I'd mention that the Gadd signatures were my first brushes and I like them for awhile, but when I really started working on improving my brush technique I found that the upward curve made it more difficult to get a nice "tip" sound.I went to get a pair of more traditional brushes and the only ones they had (Music & Arts for ya) were Regal Tip. I I've tried other brands of sticks and always come back to Vic Firth, and their keyboard and timpani mallets are exceptional as well, but for brushes, you can't beat Regal Tip. Truly exceptional product.

Ditto on the Jeff Hamiltons.

Ditto +2. They sound harsh when switching over from a normal/light (what is the definition of normal though?) brush but they do project well. They are a bit like going between a 7a and 2b. Different feel and different sound FOH.

Last edited:
I use the Jeff Hamilton signature model with a 21 piece swing band. They project really well as the wires are thicker and stiffer. If I didn't need to cut through I would prefer different brushes like the Regal Gip Clayton Cameron or Ed Thigpen models. I prefer brushes with more flex and a thinner spread.

I have played all of the mentioned brushes and honestly I feel like the Steve Gadd Model is the loudest. Just make sure you are using them bristle down. That is what is great about that particular brush is that you can do that even though you are not supposed to. I recently used them in a loud bar with a folk rock bluegrass band. My snare was unmic'd but They were cutting. I even got that comment. Also make sure the head you are using has enough texture. I am not trying to insult your intelligence or anything with the last comment but sometimes the solution could be the easiest answer. (I am the kind of person that always trying the easier method last and then I find out it is what works :)

The nice thing about heavy brushes like the Jeff Hamilton model is that you can always play them softer.

Back