Stupid question

Nuka

... possibly anyway.

I know that there are the industry standard sizes of 7A/B, 5A/B, 2A/B that all companies do (or at least all I've seen). And Vic and Promark do the full 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2 range with editions and Sigs. And Vic do the Rock and Metal series. But does anyone go heavier than the VC Metal/VC:promark 2B?

I mean, has anyone ever gone into a shop, or looked on the net and found an ellusive 1A? I've looked maybe in vain for one but have resorted to shop for the VC Sigs as I can't find my heavier than 2.

I know some of you guys will probably have a crack at someone actually wanting something heavier than 2, but I'm just not... happy with them. They're about an inch too short, a little too light but the right thickness.

A 1 in my mind should be a VC Metal but slightly thinner with more balance in the shoulder/shrug :p

Thanks Jakster.

Though I can't find them through the Vic site, is that normal?

And yeah not too bothered about concert sticks...

1A's are available from Vic Firth and Vater for sure, but they aren't what you're wanting. They're in-between a 5A and 5B diameter and 17" long.

I'd look a little more closely at some stick maker's websites because there are plenty of variations on the 2B that would probably give you what you're looking for. Vater is especially helpful by listing similar sticks on each stick page so you can go to 2B and get a list of sticks that are longer/shorter/thicker/thinner in one spot.

So what you basically want a longer 2B? You also said a more balanced shoulder. I'm assuming by that you mean longer taper.

If I'm correct then some sticks you should check out are

Vic Firth Abe Laboriel Jr. Signature Sticks (Slighty thinner than metal with long taper)
Regal Tip X Series Metal Sticks (Same dimensions as vic firth metal, but a bit longer taper)
Pro Mark Hickory 2S Sticks (Once again same dimensions but slightly longer taper)
Pro Mark Hickory OG General Sticks (Orchestral sticks, but they would work on drum set too. Slightly shorter than the others but a very nice taper.)

And to answer your original question, yes there are many sticks that exceed the 2B thickness. I think Vater makes a stick that is .750 or something!

Not a stupid question at all, considering that stick model #s are somewhat arbitrary, in that they don't go in a particular order in terms of size or weight. Not to mention that a given model isn't necessarily consistent from brand to brand.

For example, a 7A is generally considered a lightish stick. Well, Cappella's version was really light and short, Regal Tip's is somewhat larger and probably a classic example of what you'd want a 7A to be, but Vic Firth's is quite weighty by comparison. Despite those differences, they're all called a 7A. I'm not sure where Vater, Pro-Mark and Zildjian's 7A fits in that mix, but odds are there are further variations.

Bermuda

Bermuda, what is your avatar supposed to be depicting?

Thanks everyone, and I swear they didn't have the 1's on the VF website when I checked. Ah well.

I'll look into those 2S sticks, not heard of them before, just gotta find a pair somewhere to try.

And not really a longer tapper as such, just the weight balanced more in the middle to tip rather than the stub end like a standaerd 2B.

Thanks again everyone :)

Thanks everyone, and I swear they didn't have the 1's on the VF website when I checked. Ah well.

I'll look into those 2S sticks, not heard of them before, just gotta find a pair somewhere to try.

And not really a longer tapper as such, just the weight balanced more in the middle to tip rather than the stub end like a standaerd 2B.

Thanks again everyone :)

Ah ok.

Both pro mark and vater make a 2S, however the vater version is much thicker than the pro mark, and I think what you're looking for is the pro mark version.

Bermuda, what is your avatar supposed to be depicting?

You've heard of "kiss a duck, change your luck"? This is "Kiss a fish, get your wish"!

Actually, I don't know, it was in an ad on my tray table on a flight last year. It's very DEVO, so I snapped a pic.

Bermuda

+1 on the recommendation for the Pro Mark 2S sticks. How I look at them is that they're basically thinner marching sticks, and long. Perhaps that's where you need to look, in the marching section if you're looking for longer and thicker. But I've been given the ProMark 2S for my gig at Disneyland and for physical reasons and costume considerations it didn't work out. I did go shorter and larger to the Vic Firth MS4 sticks, though. Much better for my situation.

Bo, have you had much experience with the 2S then? How'd they feel?

Bo, have you had much experience with the 2S then? How'd they feel?

I discovered I wasn't used to using a long stick. The weight threw me off big time. A stick that's 17" long with the weight thrown forward is not a good combination for me. But when I went back to a stick that was thicker and much heavier (the Vic Firth MS4) and a little shorter, the weight of that stick worked out better for me. In my situation, prolonged playing with the 2S caused me to hold on too tight (I'm working through a glove as well) and I can't stop playing for about 30 minutes.

Sounds like the stick I need to try out sometime...

Cheers.

And thanks again everyone.

Why has no one mentioned any marching sticks...

I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I'd put money done that the Vic Firth Ralph Hardimon's are bigger and heavier than all these sticks yall have listed. Promark also has great, HEAVY, marching sticks I'm just not familiar with their marching product lines.

Edit: here are some of the biggest Vic Firths I could find (length x diameter)

MS3 - 17 x .715
Ralph Hardimon - 17 x .71
Jeff Queen - 17 x .725

...compared to

2B - 16.25 x .63
1A - 16.81 x .58
Metal - 17 x .635

marching sticks would be bad for the drumset cause there mess up the heads. cause on marching drums the heads are made for marching.

That is not true jakester. I can hit hard with a small stick or lighter with a marching stick. Force is in the hand of the beholder.

Back