Cozy Powell

bernhard has 2 videos on here, if ya go on youtube.com theres the Resurrection solo and 1812 and the Rainbow solo, all pretty similar but its just awesome to see Cozy in full flight!!! Also some Rainbow/Whitesnake/Lynott-Moore stuff, well worth looking at!!

I use to be several years ago so hooked up on the Rainbow On Stage 1977 album. I was trying to copy each of his fills, they were so inspiring. He's the one that made get into double bass. I always took Ian Paice as my main reference but Cozy Powell had so many heavy fills and a style that was perfect for Rainbow (i only know his work with this band).
He had also a rocking sound that was raw just before getting into headaching 80's sound.
R.I.P, he was a true legend

"Rainbow on Stage" is one of the best live albums ever recorded! The drums on this album sound soooooo good!!

When Ritchie Blackmore left Deep Purple he needed an amazing drummer to take over from Ian Paice and he hit the jackpot when he hooked up with Cozy Powell [RIP]

Along with Ian Paice, Cozy has always been one of my major influences and I've always fantasised about having his awesome Ludwig kits and playing them like he did.

He absolutely revolutionised double bass drumming back in 1976 with Rainbow and did it with such energy & power.... and newer heavy metal drummin was born yet again.

Definitely a huge loss for the drumming world with his passing, but his music will live on forever!

Another true legend!

It is good to see Cozy Powell getting the recognition as an innovator that he so richly deserves. Like many around my age he was the first drumming superstar with whom we became familiar. Whether it was because of his appearances on Top of the Pops or on a great old Saturday morng show called Tiswas. I even remember him hosting a competition to find the best young drummer in the UK - who later appeared live on Tiswas playing with Cozy. Wonder what happened to him?

I was lucky enough to meet Cozy at a drum clinic in Manchester in the early 1980s. THis clinic featured Cozy, Jon Hiseman and a good friend of mine Paul Burgess - who played with 10CC and later Joan Armatrading and Jethro Tull. While Jon Hiseman was a little aloof Cozy Powell was humble, approachable and genuine. And he did a great clinic!! A true sad loss to the music world - but as long as we keep talking about him and giving him the credit he deserves then he will live on within the drumming community.

Paul

I loved the 1977 Rainbow Live LP. Cozy has such great sound and presence on that disc. It's too bad that they chose to cut out his drum solo from Still I'm Sad; maybe a future re-release of this album will correct that mistake.His work with the Jeff Beck Group was great,also.

9 years since he left us, still a great loss.

managed to pick up a double dvd called 'Cozy Powell - behind the music', lots of footage of Cozy with ELP, Bonnet, Whitesnake, on Record Breakers and loads of other TVstuff, also on stage with Schenker!!! Over 3 hours of the MAN!!

no bro, thats Bobby Rondinelli - hell of a drummer and a great guy; dude takes time to chat to me on myspace!! Check out Bobbys work too; Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow, The Lizards and he has a great page on myspace and here on drummerworld. jc

found a little 'gem' on youtube; Cozys old Yamaha kit, being played extremely well by Bob Richards in a prog rock band called MAN; Cozy would've been pleased....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ljDOLqaHLI
I've contacted the band and they confirm its Cozys from around the 'Over The Top' era

I've been listening to him a lot lately by the help of the compilation remixed album "The best of Cozy Powell". Very tasteful player.

I've never really cared about him till recently and I must admit, I missed something ;-)

I've been listening to him a lot lately by the help of the compilation remixed album "The best of Cozy Powell". Very tasteful player.

I've never really cared about him till recently and I must admit, I missed something ;-)
Theres another good solo album called 'The drums are back', but my favourite album is 'Over The Top', some great music from Cozy and some awesome backup; Gary Moore, Don Airey etc

10 years since Cozy left us; I still listen to his work all the time and am always inspired by the 'Power and the Glory'
God Bless mate, I'll have a beer for you and wish you were still with us.

Cozy Powell quite simply was one of the coolest drummers ever ! He was a major influence on me as a teenager. Although I loved Bonham and Paice He just had a great combination of technique, power and originality.He brought out the best in every line up he was apart of ,and there were many! He was like a drum mercenary. I had the pleasure of seeing him live with Rainbow as well as Michael Schenker Group. In the 80's I would buy any album he played on . He always had great drum sound. I love the way he played on Rainbow Live Onstage especially "Kill The King" and "Still I'm Sad " Great Double Bass work We Miss you Cozy!

It is good to see Cozy Powell getting the recognition as an innovator that he so richly deserves. Like many around my age he was the first drumming superstar with whom we became familiar. Whether it was because of his appearances on Top of the Pops or on a great old Saturday morng show called Tiswas. I even remember him hosting a competition to find the best young drummer in the UK - who later appeared live on Tiswas playing with Cozy. Wonder what happened to him?

I was lucky enough to meet Cozy at a drum clinic in Manchester in the early 1980s. THis clinic featured Cozy, Jon Hiseman and a good friend of mine Paul Burgess - who played with 10CC and later Joan Armatrading and Jethro Tull. While Jon Hiseman was a little aloof Cozy Powell was humble, approachable and genuine. And he did a great clinic!! A true sad loss to the music world - but as long as we keep talking about him and giving him the credit he deserves then he will live on within the drumming community.

Paul

hey bro....go to youtube, and punch up cozy's name....that show is on there, with the little dude who won the drumming contest.....it ever shows them trading fours....

i recntly bought the rainbow live in sweden dvd.....with bob daisley and david stone, as well as dio/powell/blackmore....it is simply KILLER.....cozy was amazing.....he was such a big influence on double kick drumming.....music owes him large for this....

long live cozy!!!!

Colleagues,

Cozy spirit lives among us. Check on Cozy Powell drummerworld profile: Drum solo and duet with Pete York. Astonishing! His inner strength is an inspiration.

All the Best.

Very underrated drummer that is always almost forgotten in discussions. I dig Cozy playing. He was very versatile even if he had a double bass kit. He could play many kind of genre, from latino to jazz to thunderous rock / metal. His shuffle was gripping very much too.

Cozy was a tremendous influence on me as a kid in the late 70's.
I loved his work with RAINBOW in particular...and later on MSG &
WHITESNAKE.

Through my work, I was able to meet him while he toured with BLACK SABBATH
and then later on with BRIAN MAY. He had the reputation in the business as being cocky,
but he was always classy and friendly with us.

Terrible loss... he is greatly missed.

Back