How do I clean bass drum beaters?

The-Beat-Masta

Titles says it all, how would I make my felts white again?

I know it doesn't effect sound, it just bothers me, it got dirty because of my electric set the rubber rubbed off onto it.

Thanks for any input.

scaled.php

How did it get so dirty? I would just get another beater if it bothered me, they're not that expensive..

Dennis

Yeah the same thing happened with my Roland.

FYI, for the future, I just put a cheap Evans flam pad on there and the problem went away.

A piece of tape on either the bass pad or beater should keep your new one from getting dirty.

I don't like the idea of using a plastic beater on an electronic kit, more abuse on the pad.

A toothbrush. Sorry, cross-thread humor here.

I was bored last night (okay really bored) and decided to try and clean my felt beater on my Yamaha pedal. I first wiped it with a damp cloth, then used a "Magic Erasure" and this seemed to help lift up the dirt.Then I used the damp cloth again.

After doing this twice, I then took a clean firm toothbrush and tried using a little dab of thick toothpaste to scrub into the beater. I did this twice and used another damp cloth to clean off any residue. It worked! I think the secret is to use a good white paste. Not only does the beater look almost new again, it has a minty smell :)

Why not go the other way with it? Meaning....clean it up as best you can, removing the rubber/dirt residue with a shoe brush or toothbrush and buy some RIT dye. It's wicked cheap and you have many colors to choose from including black. I did two different beaters one using black and one using red and both look bad ass!

Back