University

DT91

So i'm in my final year of secondary (high) school and I'll hopefully moving to university in September. Its my birthday in July (my 18th) and I've been told I would be receiving some money to spend on whatever I want.

So the problem is I'd love to set myself up with some new cymbals but seeing as i'd be going to uni, is there really a point?

What do you guys suggest?

I reckon it's worth getting some nice cymbals yeah. I mean if you don't spend it on that, it'll only go on you getting blotto during freshers week. Then you'll still end up poor for the rest of the year but if you get the cymbals then you'll at least have a big headache and some lovely loud cymbals unlike the former where you'll only end up with a big headache.

Yeah I'll be on campus.

I suspect the theory of spending it all on booze could be true :p

I took up the guitar instead! On campus at Lancaster University. I must confess, I haven't played the drums much at all since last summer, but I play enough guitar and bass to make up for it and then some.

That's not a bad idea. Of course, you could get a little pad kit or electronic kit. But the guitar is certainly more portable than the drums and more practical at uni.

That's not a bad idea. Of course, you could get a little pad kit or electronic kit. But the guitar is certainly more portable than the drums and more practical at uni.

Well currently I play guitar the most, but I play the drums in a society ensemble. So I get the best of both Worlds and even though I have my kit with me, I don't need to.

Don't buy cymbals; you probably will not be able to use them very much if you live on campus.

Instead, consider purchasing some hand drums (e.g. frame drums, congas, djembe, etc.) You can get a good pair of meinl congas for the price of a couple of good quality cymbals. A decent frame drum is even less. An authentic, pro quality djembe will cost you between 150 and 350 Euro. Consider the used market too.

By choosing this option, you will be able to drum on a regular basis. You will also expand your skill set.

Best of luck in university.

GJS

The djembe idea is quite interesting. I'm not too up on exotic percussion though. Is there a good starter percussion item? Or one thats most all round?

I have a Yamaha Xtreme but i've seen some of these dorms and it might require shelling out for a larger room too.

I currently play the guitar a little, and I was contemplating learning some keyboard basics.

Might as well take the whole orchestra with me at this rate :p

if u really want to play drums on campus get urself a roland electric drumset
i have it and its amazing got a lot of practicing done without any noise

Most universities allow non music majors to play in their ensembles, consider joining some of those. That will at least give you an outlet to play music, or specially the drumst. Plus they'll probably grant you access to their practice rooms.

Tear jerkingly boring but I would put the money in the bank! Next Summer when you have no cash because your loans have run out you'll have some cash to dip into.

Yes indeed, boring but a good idea: save some for a rainy day. Try to get a job as soon as possible when your studies start. Take it from an experienced university student, it's a good idea to have some extra cash for rainy days.
It's also worthwhile finding out how your roommates / housemates like drumming. If it's not a problem, in time you could buy cymbals if you get a job to refill your savings.

DT, how about bongos? They're around $100 (http://www.shopping.com/-cheap+bongos). You can get djembes cheap too (http://www.shopping.com/-cheap+djembe+drums). You can have something to play and can save the rest of the $$.

I prefer bongos and djembes to frame drums but that's just my taste. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube to help you get started.

Hope you're better that geography than I am. I can't navigate my way out of a paper bag ...

Back