Pearl 900 series single pedal

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have been thinking of getting one as an inexpensive pedal for general moderate play use.
I have read nothing but good things about the Pearl 900 series.

How does it compare with the standard Iron Cobra that I am familiar with?
I like the action of my Cobra, Particularly the light spring and the adjustments.

If it is similar to the Cobra I will be happy with it.

What are your experiences with the 900?

It's a lighter feel than the IC, Bob. Pearl's middle of the road offering. Single chain but has the 'Powershifter' adjustment that the Elims have (that's the heel plate adjustment though, not the interchangeable cams). Not high end, but you already know that. Still, it's solid enough and will gig well. All in all, a good intermediate pedal that will get the job done for "an inexpensive pedal for general moderate play use".

Thanks PFOG.
Perhaps the lighter feel will take away some of the power that I am looking for.
It may not be able to deliver the Punch.
That's what I like about the Cobra. I get more out of it than I put in so to speak.
Due to physical restrictions that are the result of my age and the fact that I have had a stroke, I don't have the ability to push as hard as I used to.
That is what I like about the iron Cobra. I can get a good punch without the effort.
Perhaps I should look for something heavier.

Last edited:
As always mate....try before you buy. They will do what you want them to do and will hold up in the durability stakes, so it all comes down to "feel".

Personally, I find IC's too heavy, so if we flip that, they may indeed be a little light for your tatses. I'm not talking daylight in terms of difference here, but given 'subtleties' are often what separate the tastes of experienced players, it'll pay to put your feet on them.

Happy hunting mate.

Yea, I'll have to get out and try some pedals.
Its been a while since I have.

Im looking for a replacement for an old Tama that I have that is from the mid 80s.
It is my everyday gig pedal and It has seen better days,

I don't use my Cobra to gig much. I leave it on my studio kit.

I read the reviews on the P900 and I then saw the low price.
I just had to ask some questions before I checked it out in person.
Thanks for the feedback on the 900.

How do the pedals with the Kevlar straps in place of the chain hold up?
Kevlar works well on my Cobra hat stand. I've had it for years now with no problems.

Yea, I'll have to get out and try some pedals.
Its been a while since I have.

Im looking for a replacement for an old Tama that I have that is from the mid 80s.
It is my everyday gig pedal and It has seen better days,

I don't use my Cobra to gig much. I leave it on my studio kit.

I read the reviews on the P900 and I then saw the low price.
I just had to ask some questions before I checked it out in person.
Thanks for the feedback on the 900.

How do the pedals with the Kevlar straps in place of the chain hold up?
Kevlar works well on my Cobra hat stand. I've had it for years now with no problems.

Bob I have some tama pedal parts here from the 80's. I may very well have what you need to spruce up the old pedal. I use an 80's Tama pedal on my ekit and it will be hard to top it with a middle road anything. I gig with an IC and have 2 other midline Pearl pedals but honestly the old Tama feels as good or better then all of them. The Tama cams I have are very agressive as well. Good stuff.
Of course maybe you just feel like buying something. I get that a lot.

Of course maybe you just feel like buying something. I get that a lot.
I think that it is a combination of wanting and needing a change.
Thanks for the offer of the old Tama Parts.

I am mainly looking for a pedal that has more adjustments than my 80s Tama.
I like the adjustments that my Cobra has.
I am looking for something that is lighter than the Cobra.
I am also looking for something that looks a bit nicer than my old 80s Tama..

After reading what has been said in this thread, Im going to move up a notch in price and try a bunch of pedals that are higher end and more modern.
I think that all are correct in saying that the low end Pearl will not replace my old Tama.

As most of you know, I like to search out and find inexpensive gear that works really well.
Its kind of a hobby of mine.

I saw some reviews where people compared the Pearl 900 to DW and other higher end mid range pedals.
I was wondering if it wasn't just nonsense.

I went out today and I sampled all kinds of single pedals of all prices.

Guess what?
I wound up buying an Iron Cobra Power Glide for $99.
It was from a kit that the store provided as a back line kit.
It was used for just a few shows.

So I now have two Cobra's.
I got what I wanted. I updated my old 80s pedal to one that has many adjustments that I am familiar with that works fine for me.

The single chain pedals that I played were not good at all.
The Cobra Jr was a big disappointment!
The Pearl 900 was also flimsy.

Being that I don't play super fast, the Cobra is fine for me.
I can do anything that I want with it.

The devil that I already owned and knew was the devil that I wanted to meet again! LOL!
I brought the pedal home and I adjusted it just like my other Cobra and I was good to go.
I set it up on my gig kit and I went back and forth between the two kits for a while and I discovered that I have consistency between my gig kits and my stay at home kit.

I think that that is what I was looking for.

Back