Nick Menza

DangerousDave

Too bad this guy's not in Megadeth anymore. Great talent, groove, energy. Great showman also. Basically, he defined Megadeth's heavy sound, among all those heavy riffs. Nobody could kick ass like Nick did. Now he's with Memorain or whatever. Too bad.
He inspired me to have my cymbals hang from above because I like to get 100% outta them. But ofcourse, I didn't do that until I saw someone of the guys admired did that :D
And the rack system he used, the Greg Voelker system, geeez I want that.
What do you think of him? He certainly is an inspiration to me.

Too bad this guy's not in Megadeth anymore. Great talent, groove, energy. Great showman also. Basically, he defined Megadeth's heavy sound, among all those heavy riffs. Nobody could kick ass like Nick did. Now he's with Memorain or whatever. Too bad.
He inspired me to have my cymbals hang from above because I like to get 100% outta them. But ofcourse, I didn't do that until I saw someone of the guys admired did that :D
And the rack system he used, the Greg Voelker system, geeez I want that.
What do you think of him? He certainly is an inspiration to me.
Nick is a great drummer no doubt, But I have to give kudos to Tommy Aldridge he was the first drummer I seen hang cymbals back in the 80's with Whitesnake. I seen Megadeth 3 times all with Nick behind the kit and he was as Great live as well as in the studio.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Yeah, Tommy and I believe Rod Morgenstein used that kind of rack.
Shawn Drover, present drummer of Megadeth, uses similar rack made of aluminum but, I don't know... He keeps playing the same 2-3 crashes all the time, which are tighten up so they don't swobble and most important... Too small cymbals for that kind of rack, wouldn't you say? Hehe it's just not it. No disrespect to Shawn, he's great.

Yeah, Tommy and I believe Rod Morgenstein used that kind of rack.
Shawn Drover, present drummer of Megadeth, uses similar rack made of aluminum but, I don't know... He keeps playing the same 2-3 crashes all the time, which are tighten up so they don't swobble and most important... Too small cymbals for that kind of rack, wouldn't you say? Hehe it's just not it. No disrespect to Shawn, he's great.
Nick's been my favorite Megadeth drummer so far the next guy would be Jimmy Degrassio
I know I didn't. spell it right but you know who I mean LOL When Dave had Nick & Marty on lead they had a great sound they really knew how to mesh together great chemistry, you can have great players but if they can't. mesh it might as well as never happen IMHO.

Bonzolead

Nick's been my favorite Megadeth drummer so far the next guy would be Jimmy Degrassio
I know I didn't. spell it right but you know who I mean LOL When Dave had Nick & Marty on lead they had a great sound they really knew how to mesh together great chemistry, you can have great players but if they can't. mesh it might as well as never happen IMHO.

Bonzolead

I fully support your comment. Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, David Ellefson and Nick Menza had team-spirit, raw power, they rocked! The Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction albums, shows the brilliance of Nick Menza.

^ That was by far the best Megadeth combination ever!
Nick Menza was a powerhouse.

I remember nearly choking on my breakfast when I read that Vinnie C was doing an album with them, but it didnt have the raw power that the Menza era had.

Kudos to Marty Friedman too - The guy is insane!

Yeah, I totally agree. Jimmy is, as we all know, great. But the sound of his drums didn't complement Megadeth music as Nick's did. And in some interview, Dave said that he was a session player while in Megadeth, which meant he was there to rehearse, record and tour. Nick sure as hell will never be forgotten.

For Nick Menza's hard-core fans, enjoy the picture.

Attachments

• nick-menza1.jpg
    nick-menza1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 20,977
I fully support your comment. Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, David Ellefson and Nick Menza had team-spirit, raw power, they rocked! The Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction albums, shows the brilliance of Nick Menza.

You are correct, sir!
Not to forget Youthanasia. They were doing live takes in studio and it sounds amazing. Just amazing and over the top.

You are correct, sir!
Not to forget Youthanasia. They were doing live takes in studio and it sounds amazing. Just amazing and over the top.

Thanks for reminding me, I really appreciate - my friend...Youthanasia can't be forgotten.

Nick & Shawn are my two favorite drummers of Megadeth

and Megadeth, next to Pantera, was my gateway to metal band. So I will always have a ton of respect for them.

And, on their newest work "Headcrusher" Shawn sounds pretty good.

and Megadeth, next to Pantera, was my gateway to metal band. So I will always have a ton of respect for them.

I'm gonna have to give it a listen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bonzolead

I'm gonna have to give it a listen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bonzolead

I'll save you the time
here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1cVbZ2PNo&feature=player_embedded

Blabbermouth - A six-minute video featuring MEGADETH's British producer Andy "Undie" Sneap (NEVERMORE, ARCH ENEMY, EXODUS) describing the process of mixing the band's new track "Headcrusher" at his studio in Derbyshire, U.K. can be viewed below. The clip, which was previously only available to members of MEGADETH's official fan club, MegaFanClub, features around 30-second snippet of the actual "Headcrusher" track which will appear on MEGADETH's forthcoming album, set to be released in September via Roadrunner Records

Thanks, mate.
For sharing your comments with us, also I respect people that have respect for others.

Nothing against Shawn, but didn't you notice he's kinda lazy? Compare him and Nick and the result is that Nick owns Shawn big time. I'm talking about two people as drummers, not persons. We all know Shawn is the nicest guy there is. But his playing doesn't fit Megadeth as did Nick's.

Nothing against Shawn, but didn't you notice he's kinda lazy? Compare him and Nick and the result is that Nick owns Shawn big time. I'm talking about two people as drummers, not persons. We all know Shawn is the nicest guy there is. But his playing doesn't fit Megadeth as did Nick's.

How is Shawn a lazy drummer? He's spot on with everything. He plays like a metronome. His work on Endgame was really good, too. It was a big step up from his drumming on United Abominations. Check out "The hardest part Of letting Go". He doesn't have the pure raw intensity that menza brought but he plays everything perfect live.

How is Shawn a lazy drummer? He's spot on with everything. He plays like a metronome. His work on Endgame was really good, too. It was a big step up from his drumming on United Abominations. Check out "The hardest part Of letting Go". He doesn't have the pure raw intensity that menza brought but he plays everything perfect live.

He also plays open handed. You can't be lazy to play open handed.

Back