Snare Heads

ted

How often do you change your snare head?
I'm asking mainly for normal practicing at your house or studio, no live gigs, just regular playing. and how often do you play?

Re: Snare Heads?

I'm asking mainly for normal practicing at your house or studio, no live gigs, just regular playing. and how often do you play?

I change my heads:

Studio kit - about every 30 playing days or so (Playing 2-3 hours per session).

Home kit - about every 10-15 years (Playing 1-4 times per week 2-3 hours).

Practice kit - whenever I find it is just beaten to death and become non-responsive. (Playing 1-4 times per week).

Are you referring to batter or snare side?

I usually start to think about changing the snare head when the coating starts to come off. It's usually a real long time. This last time I changed it last spring summer and prior to that it was changed maybe 2 years back...

I've always liked my heads played in, so I only ever tend to change them when they are lifeless and shot. When I can no longer get a crisp tone from them, they're gone.

Before I started using the Aquarian Hi-Energy snare batter head, I would change my snare heads every 4 - 5 months.
With this Hi-Energy head though... I don't know how long I'll have to wait. It's a 10mil singly ply head, but with a thin layer of power dot material glued to the surface of the head, and then an actual power dot is placed in the centre. So... I'll get back to you in a couple years when this head needs changing...

I change my heads:

Studio kit - about every 30 playing days or so (Playing 2-3 hours per session).

Home kit - about every 10-15 years (Playing 1-4 times per week 2-3 hours).

Practice kit - whenever I find it is just beaten to death and become non-responsive. (Playing 1-4 times per week).

Are you referring to batter or snare side?

Batter side, sorry. If you would like to include snare side go ahead but im mainly looking for batter.

Batter side, sorry. If you would like to include snare side go ahead but im mainly looking for batter.

Roger. I listed batter. Sound guys get upset with older heads - because weird tones start showing up.

I have also switched to Aquarian Hi-Energy (my snare head of choice). My intervals have greatly increased. Sounds better for longer.

On average, I play about 6-7 hours per week.......................mainly, I use the Evans HD dry heads on snares and replace them around once a year.

Though I have been experimenting lately with some different heads, normally my snare head lasts me 2-3 years. This assumes I'm using it about 30-40 hours per month on average. I never break them so it becomes a matter of sound.

I replace my snare head every month or two, usually. I usually play anywhere between 3-10 hours a week, depending on my schedule. I keep my snare tuned so high that I HAVE to change heads often, though. The mylar stretches under the tension to the point that the top of my hoop is nearly level with the bearing edge of the drum. I don't know how safe that is for the shell or the hardware, but I've had no warpage or damage to it for the few years that I've owned it.

I change my Coated Ambassadors about every 3-6 months.
I change my Coated Emperors and X14 heads about every 6-9 months.

I have multiple snares so I get a good amount of life out of my snare heads, sometimes even longer than stated.

Back