Drum Studio Project 3.0

If it was a bomb shelter filled with drums and there was a cataclysmic event, just think about all those years of uninterrupted practice time...

I'd emerge after years of evading fallout, "Hell yes! I'm now probably the best remaining drummer left alive!" Then Dave Weckl would appear from the rubble and ask, "Hey there, you have a bomb shelter with drums in it too?"

We actually have a bomb shelter, if it were me and Dave Weckl status post armageddon, I am running round naked in the fallout rain. Or, maybe Weckl would, it is all perspective.

Brundlefly, I love your step by step blog and my heart bleeds for you that you had to tear it down. I'm building a studio for a friend (built my own already) and love to study everybody's idea on how to best soundproof.

What's your next plan? You still have some raw materials that are usable after the tear down.

Brundlefly, I love your step by step blog and my heart bleeds for you that you had to tear it down. I'm building a studio for a friend (built my own already) and love to study everybody's idea on how to best soundproof.

What's your next plan? You still have some raw materials that are usable after the tear down.

Oh, we rebuilt it alright. Bigger, stronger, faster... we had the technology (although, the budget took a bit of a hit along the way). The coverage of the rebuild starts here and ends here.

It came out pretty flipping awesome in the end. I got a massive reduction, a nice internal sound and a pretty flexible space overall. And one of these days when my work life mellows out (I'm on the ninth year of the third longest video game production in the history of video games), I'll start recording stuff so that others can hear the results. One of these days...

Anyway, the Studio 3.0 blog coverage is worth a look-see. Lots of details and the design is pretty beefy.

I've been lurking for a while. First things first. Awesome kit and studio. Hopefully when I have some money one day I can make a room like that. Also - What videogame are you working on (if you're allowed to say, that is)

I'm going to guess Duke Nukem Forever or something from the 'Elite' series...

BF, when you get time, I would suggest experimenting with mic placement with the internals. I took the time and found they (and the drums) sound best when pointed at the bottom heads...

Good luck...

You need 2 parking spaces on your own ground in a street like this??? It doesn't look overly crowded to me!

shapeimage_2.png

Anyway, great it finally turned out fine. Thanks for posting all details and pictures, I'll bookmark your blog for future reference as I expect to be building my own studio in the future as well.

You need 2 parking spaces on your own ground in a street like this??? It doesn't look overly crowded to me!

And it isn't, not even remotely so. I live in an area where house has six parking spaces and most households have two cars. But this is the OC where housewives have nothing better to do than complain about someone parking a car on the street or a garage door that has been left open for more than 15 minutes.... or that the spinners on their Escaldes aren't shiny enough.

And it isn't, not even remotely so. I live in an area where house has six parking spaces and most households have two cars. But this is the OC where housewives have nothing better to do than complain about someone parking a car on the street or a garage door that has been left open for more than 15 minutes.... or that the spinners on their Escaldes aren't shiny enough.

lol sounds like some of the people down my road. Luckily there isn't any more space to force people to build garages on.

Diablo III. If it had been Duke Nukem, I would have stuck a plastic knife in my eye before it hit the five year mark.

Good thing too, based on the reviews I've been reading. I thought 'DNF' stood for 'Did Not Finish'. Now I'm thinking they shouldn't have even started...

Diablo III isn't so much my thing, but it looks good!

Thanks for this great post, it is too long to comprehend and soak up tonight, but I will definitely return to read in detail. I built a room in my basement, and it is pretty decent, but there are some easy things I missed and could have done if I had planned it out a little better instead of my typical, "just start building and plan as I go" style.

Back