Mike Portnoy Quits DT??

Quoting Geddy Lee, "This is the band, these three guys, there is no replacing anyone in the band. "

You can't replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater. Whoever they would get to take his place while on hiatus would be temporary for a year or two. And if the members of the band don't address it like that, they are really deluded, and a bit short sided.

I dunno if Steve Gadd would even be interested in that type of gig (lol).

No body can truly replace portnoy, but since it seems inevitable, I think possible candidates might be Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, Marco Minneman, or maybe Nick D'Virgillio.

I still can't believe this has happened.... It's no longer DT to me...

-Jonathan

Well, if anything, this whole thread has made me check out Portnoy. I've never heard a DT song or saw a video, either. The man is a monster player. I can't believe all these years have gone by and I never checked him out. I recall seeing him in a lot of Tama ads, though, and that's about where my interest stopped.

After watching him play, I can see why we have an entire generation of drummers doin' the dubba-dubbas now.

It was probably the "next Rush" tag that turned me off?

Anyway, I wish the guy luck on his hiatus. Whatever he decides to do, I'm sure it'll be cool.

So, It goes back to the old saying: A band's as good as its drummer.

Quoting Geddy Lee, "This is the band, these three guys, there is no replacing anyone in the band. "

You can't replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater. Whoever they would get to take his place while on hiatus would be temporary for a year or two. And if the members of the band don't address it like that, they are really deluded, and a bit short sided.

That Geddy quote has been running through mind too.

And I agree, you can't replace Mike. You can find people who can play his drum parts, but I Mike was essentially the front man for the band, the guy who did the most press and the most promotion, and lead the whole thing. That is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to replace his leadership.

And that fact that the core of the band, the drummer, bassists and guitarist have been together since college, creates a vibe that can't be easily be replicated with people who don't have that bond.

As much as I've been disappointed in their last two albums, and questioning if I'm really a DT fan anymore, I have to say, after sleeping on this news, I find it quite depressing.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's I was really looking for a band to come into my life that would be like Dream Theater. I listened to a lot of Shrapnel recordings, because they had all the incredible musicianship, but much of it was instrumental, and the few releases that had vocals were usually pretty bad vocals, with terrible lyrics, like Cacophony. Metallica had publically distanced themselves from more technical playing. Rush was mellowing out. I loved Queensryche, but they weren't quite on the same level of musicianship as the Shrapnel stuff. And I used to think, "why can't there be a band that can play the technical stuff like the Shrapnel bands , but have good vocals, and good lyrics, and play songs that are actually listenable" Then when I heard Dream Theater, it was like a dream came true (pardon the pun).

So, outside of Rush and The Who, Dream Theater has been one of my favorite bands since 91/92. Granted, I don't care for every album or every song, but still, they were right there.

Over the last few years, I've been questioning my level of a DT though. Their last two albums were terrible in my opinion. And I've discovered other bands, like Katatonia, who have some technical elements, but are more focused on song writing than chops.
While it seems DT have lost interest in writing songs over just technically jamming. Although from what I've read, their last two albums seem to have sold better than prior one's, so I was thinking, maybe I'm in the minority.

Several albums ago, Dream Theater decided to not use outside producers. Which OK, I understand. Then they also decided, they would not pre-write or demo any material, and they would just go into the studio, and write as they recorded, and what ever came out, came out. Which made some pretty cool albums.

But rather than saying "That was cool, and it worked, now lets try something else" the band, under Mike's leadership decided that this formula was the new rule. And in interviews over the last few years, Mike had been very insistent that they never write outside of the studio, and everything must be made up on the spot. Which is what I think hurt the last two albums. Ideas were there, but they weren't developed as songs, and the band relied too much on their skill as shredders to fill in where the songs weren't developed. As opposed to albums like "Images and Worlds" that was written and re-written several times before it was recorded, or "Awake" that was rehearsed before going into the studio.

And if you're a prog band, and use "rules" it's less at the heart of what makes a band "progressive" because it's no longer progress. Mike has refused to work outside of a certain set of boundaries. Dream Theater, in the past, has always been about not having any boundaries.

So, I'm pretty depressed about one of my favorite bands losing their leader. I can't imagine buying a new DT albums, or buying a DT ticket knowing Mike isn't there. But there is a little part of me that thinks, well, maybe without Mike's rules, the rest of the band might go back to writing songs, and less filler. But then again, I'm scared of what John Petrucci might do without someone else to rein him in, as his lyrics have been pretty awful the last two albums, and it was Mike's lyrics that saved what songs were left.

Dream Theater has already issued a press release saying their going back into the studio in January. So the band, it seems, is determined to carry on without him. And to an extent, I understand. It wasn't their idea that Mike go and do all these side projects and tours. It's their life too, and they have the right and need to keep working.

But then you go back to Rush, and they realized that without Neil, there was no point in even trying, so they waited patiently until Neil was ready.Of course, that was completely different circumstances, but still, Geddy and Alex realized it wouldn't be the same and wasn't worth trying.

Anyhow, if I were a betting man, I'd imagine either Mike Mangini or Bobby Jarzombek joins the band, with a small chance of Rod Morgenstein.

I'll be curious as to what the next album will sound like, but I won't be rushing out to buy it the second it comes out like I have in the past.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed DT over the years and met Mike Portnoy, but in all honesty I think the group needs to move on. I must admit to losing interest in them over the years as they didn't seem to evolve very much as a group. Of course what they did do is marvelous for musicianship and I have a ton of respect for everyone in the group, but I think they just kinda stayed in their little niche while others took what they learned from DT and moved forward with it. Mike is such an integral part of their sound that I don't think they can actually continue on as DT anyway, kinda like Rush would be without Neil...it wouldn't be Rush.

Mike totally rocks, and I know we will be seeing more of him. Perhaps a whole lot more of him! It is entirely possible that this change could mean a refreshed outlook and he can break out of the mold that DT created. I'd like very much to hear how he handles an entirely different genre, though A7X isn't much of a stretch from DT.

I think i have died a little inside...

I mean just look at my avatar! Look at it! DT was my first major music experience and the band will never be the same without him!!!

I can't see DT making another album without him. MP is the heart of Dream Theater will be entirely different without his drumming.

Mike was my first influence and its really, really hard for me to see him go. I almost couldn't believe it. What's he gonna do now? I hope his new side project will be as great as Dream Theater.

I wish i could say more, but i need to study for a test and its late. Hope Mike does well for himself.

Now before everyone loses their mind on me let me say that i haven't found anything to support this announcement on Dream Theatures' web site or Portnoys' web site. This is what Mike had posted on his Facebook page today and is purely the only source this comes from. It reads....

From his Facebook:

Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

MP

Read Mick Fleetwood's autobiography. He too was the bandleader and pretty much ran the show....and he was broke when other band members were yachting around the world.

25 years is good career in just bout any other field; it's nothing short of a miracle in the music business!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

I think John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess as well are as much of Dream Theater's essence as MP, so I'm pretty confident they'll be able to move on.

I'm more concerned about Mike's stage presence and personality, which will missed at the shows, and harder to replace in my opinion.

As for the last 2 albums - I think Black Clouds... is much better than Systematic Chaos. Black Clouds has some quite strong songs in it, and I actually enjoy listening to the album once in a while. Although they made several stronger albums in the past I think there's no point in recycling those eras and trying to produce another effort the "old fashion" way.

Not a really a big fan of Portnoy's ( please dont hate me, I know every other guy here is.. ) but a huge Barriemore fan.

He was one of the most evolved drummers at a time when rock drumming was not. The story is that he was the only drummer Bonham felt intimidated by at the time both were gigging the same neighborhoods. He wouldn't share the same bill with him, but was openly an big admirer of his playing.

What happens to DT now. Time will tell. Change is inevitable. Change is good. Isn't that how the phrase goes? ( ducks GWBush-like and artfully avoids flying shoe )

Not that anyone needs our input, but in the perfect world doesn't Danny Carrey seem like the logical next guy? I mean did Tool actually go through with that tour they were talking about a few months ago or have they for all practical purposes still sort of disbanded/or to use the press agent term are on hiatus?

With all of us doing nothing here but playing armchair speculation, it would certainly look like Portnoy was getting tired of a lot DT type issues/ and who wouldn't after 20 years?/
Then Avenged Sevenfold gives him another outlet and most likely a more lucrative financial incentive, so at the very least he wanted to take a tour with them and see how it felt. Since he really is Dream Theater he probably felt he was entitled to call that shot if he wanted. Then one of the DT guys balked at the idea. There was one of those scraps with someone you're all too familiar with, Portnoy woke up without enough sleep and made a big announcement he couldn't back down from, so hello A Sevenfold.

In the meantime DT guys realizing it's all real start to scramble with numerous ideas that seem possible but don't work out, especially when you're talking about absurdly busy guys who will never allow themselves to be compared with the whole Portnoy/DT legacy thing anyway because of their own probably even larger iconic stature.

Enter Carrey. He's the age, the maturity, can certainly play at least one DT tour while this Tool thing is finally worked out/in the correct style while not carbon copying Portnoy/ and maintain the integrity of the band as people view it, and not give up any ego himself, because as we all know, if this happens, Tool will absolutely have their goofing around ways straightened out by 2012...

...just in time for Portnoy to rejoin DT bigger than ever for summer 2012 touring season.

Look, you know that eventually those guys are getting back together.

...just in time for Portnoy to rejoin bigger than ever for dummer 2012 touring season.

Sounds like a good plan. The interesting thing for me is that here is the guy who created this band but now it is something greater than himself and belongs to many other folks who depend on it for a living. He could have trademarked the name.

People dis Mike Portnoy but as he has said so himself, he has worked on a myriad of projects over the years and made them work. DT enlivened American progressive rock in a way that perhaps it had never been enlivened before. It certainly is a 'go against the tide" genre. The first thing you learn in this biz is the massive amounts of work it takes to get nothing done, and the massive amounts of work it then takes to break even. A guy like MP really shows how hard work and tenacity can make it all happen.

Avenged were taking it to the next level when the Rev passed so I think it is a great opportunity for him.

Not that anyone needs our input, but in the perfect world doesn't Danny Carrey seem like the logical next guy? I mean did Tool actually go through with that tour they were talking about a few months ago or have they for all practical purposes still sort of disbanded/or to use the press agent term are on hiatus?

My wife just saw Tool in concert a few weeks ago. For what it's worth, they're still an active band. That doesn't mean it can't happen though.

Then Avenged Sevenfold gives him another outlet and most likely a more lucrative financial incentive,

That I doubt. While AX7 may sell more records in the US, Portnoy is just a hired gun drummer. With DT, he's getting song writing royalties, co-producer credits on albums, director credits on DVDs, 1/5th of the touring income, t-shirts, etc. And what DT lacks in US sales, they make up for in Europe and Asia. They may not be a super popular band in any one country, they have the same level of popularity almost everywhere in the world. The song writing royalties would far outweigh sideman income.

However, being a sideman comes with far less headaches. He shows up, he plays, he goes home. With DT, he's in charge of almost everything, which brings a lot of pressure.

Dream Theater used to have a forum, and fans were viscous. People would just complain about everything, I don't like this song, why don't they play this live, the 3rd note of the 2nd chorus should have been different. It was so bad the band took down the forum.
Mike took a lot of the stuff personally, and even wrote a song about it "Never Enough".

I think the pressure of being everything to the band just got to him. But because it was such his baby, he couldn't let go of the responsibility and let someone else to do it for him. It became "all or nothing" for him.

.just in time for Portnoy to rejoin DT bigger than ever for summer 2012 touring season.

100% agreed.

I think the pressure of being everything to the band just got to him. But because it was such his baby, he couldn't let go of the responsibility and let someone else to do it for him. It became "all or nothing" for him.

100% agreed.

That would be awesome. Maybe Mike will realize he can't be without DT and they will rejoin and make their best album yet!!!!

Seems like a good possiblity. :D

Mike was interviewed by Eddie Trunk tonight. I heard the stream. I'm sure it will be up on youtube or something later on.

He basically said he started feeling burnt out on DT a year ago, and the feeling hasn't gone away yet. He wanted DT to take another year off, but the rest of the band insisted they go into the studio in January. So he opted to leave the band rather than go in to the studio to do an album he didn't feel like making. Apparently, there are no hard feelings on either end.

He even made a joke that he's always wanted to go see Dream Theater in concert, and now he can.

He said he was totally open to re-joining at a later date further down the road, but he wouldn't say it would actually happen. He's not joining AX7 full time.

Barriemore Barlow is the man who can ride this horse!!!

Listen to "Burstin Out", the TULL live album should show his skills.

I would love see the guys touring with him....
Rudess and Barlow Face to Face, playin´ Prog from the wood!!!!

And don´t forget the blue Vistalite Ludwigs....

p.s. i also like Portney at Images and words (with no triggers)

greets, Peter

Back