Tre' Cool

Re: Tre' Cool?

Last two posts put it nicely...

another 2 cents:

I respect and like green day but I’m not a superfan or anything so i would consider myself unbiased. I can’t argue that Tre's stuff isn't simple but its tasteful and I think he should be given some credit for speed and stamina. His very solid and plays fairly effortlessly on Greendays generally upbeat tracks (I’m talking about live footage, and pre-american idiot in general). Great sound too.

Not trying to start a fight and really don’t care about either frankly but I'd much rather watch Tre then Travis Barker, just to throw that out there.

i think he's an awesome drummer with a cool attitude! he's definately a big inspiration to me and my drumming...i dont think Greenday could wish for a better drummer! so i love him, definatey one of my faves!

laurence.

laurence_drummer said:
i think he's an awesome drummer with a cool attitude! he's definately a big inspiration to me and my drumming...i dont think Greenday could wish for a better drummer! so i love him, definatey one of my faves!

laurence.

greenday could definitely get a better drummer if they wanted. they just dont want a new drummer.
what exactly do you mean by "a cool attitude"? i don't quite get it.
tre's drumming is simply great fun to listen to and to play to. that's why i like him, but he's not that great. i saw them playing live on tv (rock-am-ring concert on mtv2) and in some of the songs the speed was changing everywhere! not a very good timekeeper i guess.

yer, i do prefer tre to travis as well. at least tre doesn't sound like a drum-machine.

Well, I came into this post late, but I'll agree with both sides. I don't think that Tre is doing anything special, and in my opinion, his grooves, from album to album sound similar. However, he lays down a nasty groove, keeps the beat, drives GD and fits with the other members' idiosyncrasies. GD wouldn't be GD if you took Tre away and say, put Matt Chamberlain in the spot. Matt is a great drummer, he just wouldn't fit with the whole GD theme. So, Tre is sponsored because he is a good drummer and he's in a good band. Companies want to be promoted, so if it's a question of how he became sponsored, well, GD sells tons of albums and tours, so his sponsors get publicity. If they sponsor you or me, they don't get as much out of the deal. Again, only my opinion.

Cheers!

Now I am not the biggest fan of Greenday here, but when I do listen to some of there songs, it's simple but very catchy. Now that whole so-cal punk rock scene they play in that's what they kinda go for is the simplicity of things. And for tre-cool to work and work to make the drums more complicated or technical, I see no point, the way he plays now is what got him there in the first place, and the band has gotton so succesful, won a grammy, and made millions, I think its perfect for him to keep playing what he plays. There music attracts so many different people and influences so many kids to pick up instruments and start playing.

To me tre - cool is kinda a gateway drummer. Him and greenday get kids an poeple into music in a way where the instruments don't seem so confusing and then once people enter the greenday gateway they also enter a whole new world of music for people to explore. Then it is up to them whether or not they want to take it to the next step and follow some of the greats.

To me I agree with what Nutha said about the goods, and the greats, And really agree with what Bernhard said, "10000 drummers were getting better because they listened to Steve Gadd - that's great.

...but 2 Million people started drumming because of Ringo - that's great too."

Tre is kinda like the ringo of today.

These are my opinions on tre' cool.

Plus I like the singers voice, it's very catchy.

Tre is a perfect example of a less is more style drummer. He doesn't overplay, because if he did, it would make Green Day sound too cluttered. The American Idot album (although I don't agree with Green Day's politcal views) is a great album, much more mature than their previous stuff. Tre playing on it is very solid, and he plays some killer fills.

Tre Isn't a millionare hes just a normal guy with some money not looking to impress anyone with his drumming Tre got sponcered way before American Idiot was released hes a very talented drummer that has a great style to his drum playing I just have a complaint on Green Day. The thing is when I liked Green Day they had real punk fans people with mohawks and coloured hair and ya....... Reason I'm not into Green Day so much anymore is because there new stuff is at the limit where they have an image like The Used, My Chemical Romance etc..
And most of there fans our now 10 year old screaming girls "OHHHH BILLIE JOE IS SOOO HOT" and "TRE COOL IS SO CUTE AND HES THE BEST DRUMMER IN THE WORLD" and that's why there so popular today It's because there now officially one of the Boy Bands of
Today. You can ask any young girl if they know who Green Day is they would know but back then when Green Day were more punk then pop you could ask a little girl who Green Day was they wouldn't know It's funny how Green Day fans know there new stuff but not there old stuff and it ticks me off so I think Green Day is 100% pure pop/punk. I'm not so much into there new stuff but Tre Cool is an awsome drummer and deserves what he got but if he doesn't lose that make up crap and that goes for billie to then there going to be the next Good Charlotte so drumming will run in Tre's family I think Tre is going to teach his youngest son to play drums so It's going to run in the family and I bet his son is going to be a successful drummer to either that or hes not going to drum at all! and you all got to admit Tre has a nice kit for the american idiot album who wouldn't want a ludwig like that....

Stu_Strib said:
I don't agree that Tre Cool is the Ringo of today.

Ringo is known by most people of most music genre's. Tre Cool is known by a few drummers and fans of pop-punk.

I'm not saying he is completely 100% percent ringo starr. Just the fact that he got a lot of people to start playing drums like ringo starr did at his time.

Stevis said:
I'm not saying he is completely 100% percent ringo starr. Just the fact that he got a lot of people to start playing drums like ringo starr did at his time.

I'll second that. The vast majority of drummers I've met who started around a decade ago were kicked off by one of the following:

* Nirvana
* Green Day
* The Smashing Pumpkins

I think Tre' Cool does good for Greeday. I like his sense of rythm and the feel he puts on his drumming. No, its not too complicated, but it fits doesn't it? It makes the song that much better when the drumming fits rather than showing off skill and not fitting. And when people say that he is just caught in the right band at the right time.. the band did have to work a good bit to get to there point now. He must have some skill to make it this far right?
Even though their stuff is simple.. people like it, and so they make what the people like, giving them the glory.

: )

I think Tre is awesome drummer. Not the greatest.
If you think Green Day songs are simple or easy try playing them making faces and jumping around.
Green Day also has a whole bunch cover songs...ex Rolling Stones, Marylin Manson, Elvis Presley, The Cure, The Who, Operation Ivy, Billy Idol, Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Def Leppard, The Ramones, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Ramones etc...
So Tre can play more then just "punk" or w/e you guys call it. Go to http://www.greendayauthority.com/TheBand/songlist.shtml for the whole list.
Tre also played with The Lookouts, Sreeching Weasels, and Samiam.
You can probably download some of these songs.
I think you guys should listen to more than just what he played in Green Day before you judge how good a drummer he is.
I also heard a drum solo he played. I probably still have it on my computer somewhere.

HardRockDrummer said:
haha one testicle! i didn't know that!
anyway... since when has he changed his endorsement from slingerland to ludwig? he was on an advert on a drum magazine
Maybe hes not endorced by ludwig probably just using a ludwig that's all..

Whats not to like about tre cool-good band -good drummer -inspiration to many young drummers -wild antics on stage and he really seems like a fun guy to be around.

OK, I'm jumping on this thread kinda late, but I don't really understand the criticisms of Tre Cool presented thus far. SImple? Yeah, and just about everything else you hear from rock bands on the radio! What do you want him to play? Some Vinnie Colaiuta lick from Joe's Garage? Doesn't work in Green Day, people.

I think Green Day would actually be a challenging band to play for, considering the tempos and intensity of the music. There are tons of fast fills and you have to play them hard, too. Try doing that for a two-hour set!

I have seen footage of certain songs where he rushes the beat, but I'd probably be doing that too if I were playing in front of a packed stadium.

Also, John Dolmayan is a pretty sick drummer. The ultra-quick sixteenth notes on the first song off Toxicity is enough to tell you that.

tre is just solid. He is nothing special, but i have a certain amount of respect for musicians out there who made it and are popualar. I personally do not like greenday. they are just like every other pop punk band on mtv.

Code:
I think Green Day would actually be a challenging band to play for, considering the tempos and intensity of the music. There are tons of fast fills and you have to play them hard, too. Try doing that for a two-hour set!

i hope your being sarcastic and trying to bring humor into the thread. i could have my sister take drumlessons for 2 months and go on tour with them. Zeppelin is a good example of intensity. john bonham is an amazing drummer and zeppelins legend will live on. Danny carey from tool. i get fustrated trying ot play some of those songs. green day... no way. anybody can play fast. its how you play and sometimes its what you dont do that makes you brilliant

Zildjian232 said:
tre is just solid. He is nothing special, but i have a certain amount of respect for musicians out there who made it and are popualar. I personally do not like greenday. they are just like every other pop punk band on mtv.

Except they were the first ones to do it...

Zildjian232 said:
i hope your being sarcastic and trying to bring humor into the thread. i could have my sister take drumlessons for 2 months and go on tour with them. Zeppelin is a good example of intensity. john bonham is an amazing drummer and zeppelins legend will live on. Danny carey from tool. i get fustrated trying ot play some of those songs. green day... no way. anybody can play fast. its how you play and sometimes its what you dont do that makes you brilliant
ok John and Danny are different then what Tre plays and Green Day is not really speed. I don't listen to a band for the drumming (I only listen to the drums on some songs so I can play along or learn new stuff) I listen to a band for the music. It really deosn't matter if your drumming isn't difficult in a Pop/Punk song what matters is that Tre's playing fits the music. Tre Is getting better I listened to Kerplunk (which I liked the most) all the way to American Idiot and I have to say Tre has gotten so much better he's an amazing drummer. Your sister taking drum lessons for 2 months would be no where close to what Tre plays so yeah.....

Jaymasta said:
ok John and Danny are different then what Tre plays and Green Day is not really speed. I don't listen to a band for the drumming (I only listen to the drums on some songs so I can play along or learn new stuff) I listen to a band for the music. It really deosn't matter if your drumming isn't difficult in a Pop/Punk song what matters is that Tre's playing fits the music. Tre Is getting better I listened to Kerplunk (which I liked the most) all the way to American Idiot and I have to say Tre has gotten so much better he's an amazing drummer. Your sister taking drum lessons for 2 months would be no where close to what Tre plays so yeah.....

Also, there was a noticeable difference between him and John/Al, the previous drummer featured on tracks 13-16 of Kerplunk. That was a total change in drummers, and a subsequent change, however minor, in sound and outcome.

Back