Tre' Cool

LiquidSoul546

Pioneer Member
Alright, this is a drummers thread, and i don't want to argue but discuss this guys talent factor. I mean, how is he such a great drummer? I am wondering this because i can see what he plays is all so simple, and if he is sponsered why not you, or any other drummer that can belt out 1 and 3 on bass drum, 2 and 4 snare, with eighth note highats. He's sponsered cause he is in a popular band. And he's a "great" because he's in a popular band. if someone could prove me wrong i'd like to hear.
Thanks
P.S, don't get mad at me if you like him, i totaly respect if you like the band, and love what he does.
Peace

Tré Cool page on DrummerWorld

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tre' Cool?

woah, u sayed it really as it is...

Most of people Who start threads about him says ''Tre is the best'' ''Tre is absolutely the greatest''

I bet he is a good drummer, no doubt, he is probably well trained and so, but YES he is being endorsed just because he has got lucky to get in a popular band, there are loats of drummers with similar skill lvl and even better but they just ain't popular.

Maybe his tempos are simple because is their genre simple.. What Greenday(s) do are sipmle riff made of some chords and so they request a simple groove or just a permanent 4/4.. I never heard him play something without the band so i can't tell if he isn't really a good drummer or not..

this is always a debate that cmes up on drumming forums eventually. and the real question is: what is a good or great drummer?

for myself i define it as follows:

good drummers:
-play for the song whether it is simple or complex.
-hold a good groove down and keep the beat.
-select tasteful fills, intros and endings.
-have a balanced amount of impressive flash and workday rhythm
there are many thousands of good drummers. it is actually quite easy to be a good drummer. i am certainly one.

great drummers:
- first of all are all the characteristcs of good drummers
-they innovate new techniques or combine old principles in novel ways
-they find an unusual way to play for a song that still works perfectly but tdoes not detract or distract the song.
-they are exceptionally flashy when they need to be. almost inuman in speed or agility.
-they teach and help the art of percussion grow
-very often they are temporaly located (i e they are great because of what they did WHEN they did it...other better drummers have come along and taken their ideas forward but they are great because they came up with the idea in the first place)

in terms of all this tre cool is a good drummer (very good in my opinion) but ringo is a great drummer because he fits more into this categorisation above.

j

My words Nutha....

and don't forget:

10000 drummers were getting better because they listened to Steve Gadd - that's great.

...but 2 Million people started drumming because of Ringo - that's great too.

So when somebodey starts drumming because of T.C or T.B. or J.J. - that's great.

To make progress they can listen then to Josh Freese, Will Kennedy, Bobby Jarzombek, Adam Deitch, Mark Mondesir, Ari Hoenig, Joel Rosenblatt or Stanton Moore...to name a few.

(That's why Tre Cool, T.B and J.J. found their spotlight on DW)

Bernhard

Tre Cool is a great drummer for his genre. I listened to Green Day about 10 Years ago when they came out with Dookie and Kerplunk perviously. Tre Cool was an animal back then and is animal now. Although he isn't exactly rewriting drum history with making up complex and intricate rhythms he does really well what appeals to most drummers and non-drummers alike. He plays simple yet catchy rhythms and plays with a good pocket.

if you all think that about Tre' Cool...then what do you think of him getting Drummer Of The Year in !DRUM magazine?

I think the guy is cool from the point that is great at playing good time, in the pocket. Greenday's music, on the other hand, i can't stand. It's good to hear someone in the nu-punk genre with some good tasteful drumming there, but i think that's all i can really see in the music they play.

I think he is a bit over average punk drummer, i dont know what else he can play. travis barker is definitely the better drummer i think, with also much jazz education and generally also theoretical knowledge.what i cannot really understand either is that drummers like john dolmayan or brad wilk are on this drummers homepage; well i like both rage against... and soad but in dont think their drumming is really outstanding, they just just fit the band very well

dolmayan is good. Check out the new album, a song called "Revenga" its pretty good.

Tre gives a great live performance. I think he is a good drummer! and I'm with NJ - basket case is great fun!

yeah, i believe he is a good drummer for his genre. but if you put him in a situation like give him a gig with eric clapton, and i dunno how good he'd do. but i do give him props for gettin more people to drum, i just don't think he can do any more than what he does.
Nutha Jason- your point is everything i believe to. just i don't think he could play anything outside greenday.
peace

he has a tight groove in one or two songs.... part from that you might aswell talk about travis barker (heaven frobid)

It is hard to judge him because of the band he is in. They don't do anything complex enough show his talent. Anyone can take the place of Green Day and knowone would notice. I personally hate Green Day because they are so liberal and anti-american. The hardest song they have on drums is Basket Case and I learned it in about 10 minutes. He just doesn't do anything special.

He is a good drummer, not great, not grand, but good. Alot of his stuff is simple, but it fits, he could be more creative though.

LiquidSoul546 said:
Alright, this is a drummers thread, and i don't want to argue but discuss this guys talent factor. I mean, how is he such a great drummer? I am wondering this because i can see what he plays is all so simple, and if he is sponsered why not you, or any other drummer that can belt out 1 and 3 on bass drum, 2 and 4 snare, with eighth note highats. He's sponsered cause he is in a popular band. And he's a "great" because he's in a popular band. if someone could prove me wrong i'd like to hear.
Thanks
P.S, don't get mad at me if you like him, i totaly respect if you like the band, and love what he does.
Peace

I agree with this post ^

because even thought he is resonably good he is overated because of the band he plays in like lars urich is but i still love green days music just like i love the white stripes music even though meg white, well isn't the most talented drummer lets say.. lol ;)

but what i do think is that we should not agrue on about who is the best drummer or the worst drummer because at the end of the day there the ones with the paychecks and all the cash not us (well most of us on this forum lol!) so i therefore appriciate every drums playing.

with thanks,

Thrashed :)

Tre Cool is an awsome drummer. I use to be a huge fan of Green Day but no such much any more because american idiot is just not that punk more like pop/punk which I'm not a fan of but. Tre had some good drumming on that album also on Dookie and Nimrod. Tre plays easy stuff but can be a challenge at times it uses alot of energy to hit the toms really fast and stuff.
Alot of you think Tre Can't play stuff outside of Green Day but he can It's possible to find some videos of him playing alone but also very hard just because he plays punk (not hard stuff to play) deosn't mean he can't play drums at all hes been playing since he was a little kid I'm sure he can almost every catagory of music he likes to play metal music like Iron maiden, Metallica etc.... He loves drums and he owns over a dozen of them he sometimes just leaves his drums lying around at a friends house. Hes on tour now with his band Green Day and he does Drum Solo's almost every show. He has a really nice kit I've noticed he got more cymbals for the American Idiot album. Anyways Tre is an awsome drummer

Too many people are listening to stuff on American Idiot and considering it to be good/bad, you people need to go back and listen to albums like Kerplunk, Insomniac, Dookie, and even Nimrod. I taught myself how to play listening to these albums and there are fills and grooves that i still cant play. But there is drumming that is 10 times better on these albums, then on American Idiot, i suggest u guys start listening to them. Tre has amazing endurance and energy when he plays, and most people probably havent heard him playing outside of the recording studio, i bet hes really good.

Back