Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

Question for you guys who play the symmetric double pedals (Off-Set, Giant Step Middle, etc.): How does the feel compare when it comes to doing single-pedal work with your main foot? Do you lose something by having that extra machinery between you and the drum?

I like what I've seen from these pedals, both for the comfort and setup options. Just curious if there are any drawbacks to them.

"Matter of opinion..." dog said when it licked it's ass.

Tama Iron Cobra, I could afford, Axis, Trick or expensive shit but where do I need them?
IC are great for the price and for the value. (Pearl Eliminator also!)
But you cant make a supercool name as DA IRON COBRA! So, it pretty much win's.

yea... however the IC feels completely different to a trick or axis. so try them out and decide for urself :)

These types of pedals are so un-natural looking to me. For those that use these, how does it feel being front and squared to the kit as opposed to the traditional angled way thats been done for so long?

These types of pedals are so un-natural looking to me. For those that use these, how does it feel being front and squared to the kit as opposed to the traditional angled way thats been done for so long?

I bought a Sleishman not too long ago and it took a while to get used to the placement in between the snare however the balance achieved is fantastic. You do not have to lean and stretch to hit the toms, they are directly in front of you and well within your reach. This means there is also more room for your cymbals to the right of you. You may have to set your floor tom a little further away but is still well within reach and a minor thing. You can also bring your hi-hat stand a lot closer too and playing just feels so much more comfortable. If you've ever sat on a double bass drum kit, this is how it feels but with one bass drum. The only way to tell if you like it is to play one yourself. Like i said placing it in position is difficult at first as it needs to be done a certain way in conjuction to the snare stand however when you sort this problem it's fantastic, fun and almost effortless to play. I would highly recommend one over any conventional double pedals.

There are so many pedals on the market and its frustrating to find a pedal that is right for you, But my recomendment is pearls new demoon drive pedal, dw's 9000 series pedal or tama's iron cobra pedal. All pedals mentioned are $$$ but the quality is outstanding, and the speed you can get from them is great. I was from a drummer mate that a good place to find out what pedals are good and all things metal and double bass drumming is t go to a myspace page. www.myspace.com/doublebassdrumanswers have a look ad see what you think let me know.

All the best

Hey guys!!!!! i wanna buy the DW 9002 or the IRON COBRA HP900...... i'm wanna make sure that i'm going to make the right decision cuz u now bouth pedals aren't cheap!!!! can u help me sending me information about wich one is better and why?? thanks...

Hey guys!!!!! i wanna buy the DW 9002 or the IRON COBRA HP900...... i'm wanna make sure that i'm going to make the right decision cuz u now bouth pedals aren't cheap!!!! can u help me sending me information about wich one is better and why?? thanks...

It truly, truly, truly depends on your sense of what's best, and what you're going to use these pedals for.
If you're someone that is going to do a lot of gigs, I would go with the IC (dw's have been known to break.) If you want a really smooth feel, and you like heel down 9000's are a good choice...

Both pedals have a good amount of adjust-ability. I would go to your local music store and check both out for a little while and see what seems best off the bat.

Personally I like the IC over the 9000. (I don't like where the springs are positioned, nor do I like the feel)

Yup, looks like yet another thread on the best double bass drum pedal! I couldn't resist - I must post.

I'm pretty sure I've posted this review elsewhere in another thread, but this one's specific enough for me to post here. It's the Off-Set pedal, mentioned already. Have a read, and see if they're right for you - at least to try them out!

Off-Set Double Bass Drum Pedal

Have fun. :)

Seeing as how i started off playing with a gibralter prowler, id say its a pretty well rounded pedal. It is single chain driven and its on the cheaper end of the deal, but ive gotten to speeds with those double pedals that i can attain with my axis pedals. Yea they are no where near as smooth but i had less problems with the prowlers than i did with my iron cobras. I play fast, and i kick hard as hell, there is a lot of power behind my feet. I dont see why we are suggesting that this young drummer spend a lot of cash on good equipment when the prowlers are just as good as any other chain driven pedal, they are adjustable, and are great to learn with. I think i paid 160 USD when i bought them a year ago and they are still holding up strong, ive moved them around plenty, and they have been through a lot, still holding strong.

As for the off-set pedals, how exactly is that going to help anything feel better if you are used to playing the traditional way with your bass drum setting and having your toms on a rack in front of you, seems kind of pointless in that matter because you arent reaching over or anything. Your toms are right in front of you, but i can see the point if your toms are mounted through off of your bass drum.

Just my little spiel, im off the soap box now.

As for the off-set pedals, how exactly is that going to help anything feel better if you are used to playing the traditional way with your bass drum setting and having your toms on a rack in front of you, seems kind of pointless in that matter because you arent reaching over or anything. Your toms are right in front of you, but i can see the point if your toms are mounted through off of your bass drum.

Hi Cpt.

Point well taken! Many times it does come down to what you're used to. Certainly, if you switch from the typical double bass pedal to the Off-Set, there will be some adjustment, but I can tell you that it's well worth it. When you're sitting centered, right behind your bass drum, you can equilaterally place your toms to your left or right. Even a few centimeters can make a difference. Your sense of balance is enhanced.

I haven't revealed this to anyone except to the subscribers of my web site (TheParadiddler.com - free, by the way), but shortly I'll be posting an interview I had with the creator of the Off-Set pedal, Charles Fisher. You'll also have a chance to win the pedals outright! In any case, it is very educational.

Hope to see you there!

AXIS

Love em. Smooth, fast, well built, light feel, the perfect pedal. For people who say they are too expensive, you can get a set of AL2 doubles on ebay for 400$ like me and be just blown away by how nice they are to play. Plus you can separate them and have 2 singles without buying anything else.

iv played alot of pedals like the axis, iron cobras, the new demon drive from perl, and the trick drums. i currently own the paciffic double pedal and iv had it for around 2 years and im stuck as to what to buy. i play on a rolland electric set so i get no rebound what so ever from my bass head so im looking for the fastest pedal around but not the most expencif something for like 650 at most. any ideas?

so im looking for the fastest pedal around but not the most expencif something for like 650 at most. any ideas?

So, if you've played 'em all, which one did you like? They're all smooth and they'll all fly......but remember, none of 'em will go any faster than your feet can drive them. The rest comes down to preference.

$650 will get you the DD: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-Eliminator-Demon-Drive-Double-Pedal?sku=580562

$600 will get you an Axis: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Axis-AL2-Longboard-Double-Pedal?sku=446356

$100 odd more will get you the Trick: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Trick-Drums-Big-Foot-Double-Pedal?sku=482299 or http://accessories.musiciansfriend....1V-Detonator-DoubleBass-Drum-Pedal?sku=445506

Otherwise check out Pearl Eliminators, Tama Iron Cobras, DW5000/DW9000 etc etc.

Last edited:
Here's the many popular answers that you will find to this question.

Iron Cobra, DW 5000 or 9000, Pearl Eliminator, Yamaha Flying Dragon, Axis longboards.

The problem is what works for me will not necessarily work for you. You should really try to get your feet on as many pedals as you can. The one thing I think many guys make a mistake on is skimping on a good quality pedal. It's probably the most used and abused piece of equipment on your kit and can have an effect on how you sound. I'd much rather save up for a good pedal than buy a cheap one and keep replacing it.

I personally have owned the 5000 double pedal and currently a 9000 single. The 9000 is unbelievably smooth and has a million adjustments to really customize the feel. I've tried the IC's and they weren't for me, good pedal just didn't fit my playing style. Played on an Axis a few weeks ago just a little bit, expensive but smooth, takes a little getting used to. no one around me has the Yamaha flying dragon's, I'd love to try a set though.

Good luck on your quest to find your perfect pedal!

I agree with your statement of finding the right pedal.

MY assistance: Having tried various brands I found the brand with the best feel, durability and adjustment options to be the Pearls. I actually just, 1 hour ago, bought an Eliminator Double, and before it I was using one of their cheaper models. I just love the feel of the pedal, the endless options for finding the perfect setup, ect.

Having said that, there are so many great pedals out there. Gibraltar make great kicks, Mapex has the new Falcon, DW is awesome at everything they do...go and try a whole lot out. Just make sure Pearl is one of them :)

I tried out the Pearl Demon Drives in a store, not on a kit, and they seemed to have this weird loss of energy right as the pedal is about to bottom out. On top of that, it just has this weird bounciness i dont think i could ever get used to. Maybe i gotta try it out on a kit, but for now im sticking to my DW 5000 single till i can sell my Axis AL longboards for some pearl eliminator P2002s. If anyones interested, shoot me a pm.

Hi:

What recommendations do you have for Double Bass Drum Pedals. Which is the best - and why?

Looking at a whole bunch right now and I need your help.

Has anyone tried the Duallist? Or the Off Center one?

Thanks for the help.

Drummerd99

I have a Duallist and I love it. For what most people need, double pedals are overkill, assuming they had even invested the hundreds of hours it takes to do basic things competently. Double pedal work is lost on the audience and, more often than not, annoys other musicians. I also like having my left foot free for hihat or foot percussion work. My ego or musical work doesn't require me to use double pedals and The Duallist works just fine. It also makes a terrific single pedal.

I just got a used Duallist and though it had an issue or 2 after tinkering with it for a couple hours and having to install a new bass clamp (someone took the original) Had to make adjustments to keep the slave beater stationary in single mode but now I am very happy! Though it will take some time for it to become my "gigging" pedal what I've seen so far has got me very excited...my foot speed has just doubled!! I was pretty good with right foot anyway but now its incredible.... My ego is soaring thinking of doing my 1st solo with it and having the chance to do 16ths for a very long duration. That was my problem with a regular double pedal I could do very fat double beats but for only a couple minutes now not only can I do them for as long as I want but its 1/2 the work! The drawback for me is doing some of the more intricate stuff with it i.e. Good times bad times will take a little practice.

Question for you guys who play the symmetric double pedals (Off-Set, Giant Step Middle, etc.): How does the feel compare when it comes to doing single-pedal work with your main foot? Do you lose something by having that extra machinery between you and the drum?

I like what I've seen from these pedals, both for the comfort and setup options. Just curious if there are any drawbacks to them.

well it seems like the best idea for the double bass pedals. The standard ones, the bar makes you loose 12% power and delay, but if they both are barred, they meet up in the middle. I have the Axis AL2 Longboards and i use 2 bass drums, but i HAVE used the double kick configuration and it works great, i do notice the delay but i have yet to use a pedal i haven't noticed that on

Back