broken lug

grant41

Hi all.
Just joined this site and enjoying it, but could anyone help me please, i have a tamburo snare and some how one of my lugs has broke can anyone tell me where i could get a replacement please, i dont want to ge rid of the snare drum as i was a gift and its a nice snre (well to me it is anyway). Any help would be welcomed as i am not sure where i can get a replacemnt lug from.

Thanks

I have a Tamburo snare and I have had much the same problem. My lug broke a few years ago and I haven't replaced it because of the difficulty of getting the parts - presumably they would have to be shipped over from Italy. In the end I bought a Yamaha Musashi snare to replace it.

I'm assuming that you over-tensioned your snare as well? It would appear to be a weakness in the design and materials. It's a shame, they're really rather nice snares. Contact Tamburo and see what they say. I would send you my old lug if you're in the UK, but unfortunately I'm three hundred and fifty miles from the snare for the next couple of months.

thanks for the reply, yes im in the uk and it is a shame you are not able to sell me a spare lug. The snare is brand new from a shop i found through ebay THE ROCK WAREHOUSE sent email but not replied yet, dont know what to do so thought i would see if anyone had any ideads.
Thanks anyway

Proel are the international distributors for Tamburo. If you can find an email address for them, I can't see it doing any harm.

We're not breaking shells, rims, tension rods. Every good companies shell is reasonably round, edges smooth. Sound is subjective, so is finish.

In light of this knowledge can now the 'lug' be considered the major component responsible for a drums quality, the weak link in most manufactures recipe?

I do not often hear of lugs breaking, except Tamburos.

And to be fair, I suspect it's only on the cheaper kits.

Honestly, it's the only thing that is even vaguely suspect about the brand. My kit was not expensive and everything about it has proved to be very good value for money. The shells are well built (and made from good quality Ash) the hardware (other than the lugs) was functional, if unspectacular, and the sound itself is very, very good. With Ambassadors, my kit just sings - it's just quite unfortunate that I never really get to play it at the moment!

I'm tempted to restore the snare shell with a set of third party lugs and then I'd have another, good quality snare.

And to be fair, I suspect it's only on the cheaper kits.

Honestly, it's the only thing that is even vaguely suspect about the brand. The shells are well built, the hardware functional and the sound itself is very, very good....

This could easily said about any hi-end kit with pot metal lugs. Its the material.

A lot of hi-end sets use pot metal lugs. Yamaha, Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, DW are some good examples.

I'm tempted to restore the snare shell with a set of third party lugs and then I'd have another, good quality snare.

Says a lot.

This could easily said about any hi-end kit with pot metal lugs. Its the material.

A lot of hi-end sets use pot metal lugs. Yamaha, Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, DW are some good examples.

Says a lot.

On a custom set, or high-end set, you should have milled steel or billet hardware. There are a lot of lugs like this. Yeah, it costs more, but breaking a lug could disable a drum for years, maybe permanently, unless you can find the exact replacement; otherwise you're faced with swapping out each and every lug, which could add up to lots of hassle.

Back