Heads for a Ludwig kit for my church?

somexone75

After a long time saving up, there is finally enough money to go out and buy a new set of heads and get rid of the stock ones. I've been debating between G2's and EC2's and am leaning more twords the EC2's, but what do you think? What do you think I should throw on for a good warm sound for worship music on their Ludwig?

I wish I knew the full name, I think it's an Accent, but I'm not sure. I do know it is a 12", 13", 16" combo.

The Accent kits actually have a nice sound to them when good heads are used. Your question is a hard one to answer. Both G2's and EC2's are a great choice. Maybe use the EC2's on top and the G2's on bottom, but I don't know if that would leave enough room for the warmthyou are looking for. I think it might be a good thing to check out. The Accents seem to handle good heads really well no matter the type. Just don't go too thick, an Accent kit shouldn't be muffled down too much.

I've tried it before and the EC2's over G2's is a horiable combination. It muffeles the sound by far too much.

I am mostly thinking EC2's, so what do you think would be a good head to go under them?

I don't know about that one. It might be made for a warm sound, but it is a 14 mil head that was designed and still listed as only a batter head. It will most likely dampen the full sound and only leave a very brief and warm sound that doesn't resonant out like a normal head should; to an extent. I think I'm going to go with clear EC2's over clear G1's.

Anyone with a better idea?

Heads aren't so cheap and I'm on the normal college student budget...

For a nice, but still somewhat open sound (that shouldn't be "too much" for the area in the church) would be coated G2's over clear G1's.

The coating warms up the sound and shortens the tone just a little over the clear head.

The coating also lasts along time, so if you use brushes, the coating will last for you.
You could use the Clear G2's on top if you think the room adds a lot of lower tones to everything because they would be a bit brighter than the coated.

These heads also sound good for a long time if they are tuned and seated well to start with.
Then just the normal tweaking is required.

I had great luck with this combo (coated over clear), and they lasted a long time, but I went back to good 'ol Remo Coated Ambassadors because I just liked that sound better.
Personally, I think the G2 heads sound better than the EC heads.
To me,(on the drums I've played with the EC heads), the EC heads sound a little slappy in the stick sound unless they are tuned way down, but that might just be me.

I'd stay away from any 2 ply, or thicker than a regular 10 mil head on the bottom, but you seem to have already ruled that out.

Good luck!

I would go with G2 coated. Great warmth, they last a long time and so easy to tune.

I have been using them for 9 years

G2 over G1 if you want to cut the resonance a little you could go with a resonant glass reso. It's hard to beat the sound of a single ply reso!

I play in our worship band at church and put the G2/G1 combo on the pearl kit they have good tone with just enough resonance.

Back