Afrobeat?

Billy Brown

Any recommendations for top afrobeat albums? I'm new to the genre. I know Fela Kuti is the pioneer, but what albums should I start with? What other albums do you suggest?

Fela-Kuti is the best place to start... He's the start. He's James Brown, Bob Marley, or The Beatles of his genre. The man. His son Femi sounds an awful lot like him, so that'd be a good next step. Antibalas is great, also check out a group called Aphrodesia. Tony Allen, Fela's drummer, has some albums out under his own name, but they stray from that sound a bit. King Sunny Ade is a good signpost to hear the split from Afro-Beat to High-Life music, but great nonetheless. there's a good website for African music called www.calabashmusic.com you could probably find some more great reccommendations there.

Start with Fela...

Fela-Kuti is the best place to start... He's the start. He's James Brown, Bob Marley, or The Beatles of his genre. The man. His son Femi sounds an awful lot like him, so that'd be a good next step. Antibalas is great, also check out a group called Aphrodesia. Tony Allen, Fela's drummer, has some albums out under his own name, but they stray from that sound a bit. King Sunny Ade is a good signpost to hear the split from Afro-Beat to High-Life music, but great nonetheless. there's a good website for African music called www.calabashmusic.com you could probably find some more great reccommendations there.

Start with Fela...

Thanks, man!! Do you recommend any particular albums?

"Coffin for Head of State" is definitely my top reccomendation...

Youssou N'dour is not Afro-Beat... There is a clear distinction between Afro-Beat and other things. Youssou N'dour is definitely a kick ass bandleader and singer, but his music is based more on traditional Senegalese stuff in my opinion. Maybe there is an album that Youssou N'dour sings on with an Afro-Beat band, but I've not heard it. Let me know which album you're talking about.

Youssou N'dour is not Afro-Beat... There is a clear distinction between Afro-Beat and other things. Youssou N'dour is definitely a kick ass bandleader and singer, but his music is based more on traditional Senegalese stuff in my opinion. Maybe there is an album that Youssou N'dour sings on with an Afro-Beat band, but I've not heard it. Let me know which album you're talking about.

This is all very helpful!! Thanks.

Got Antibalas's Security CD. No Fela Kuti at the record store. I'll have to order that one. Keep the suggestions coming.

Back