SO what annoys you? (The so is on purpose)

Without a serious overhaul my Impreza will do nowhere near 140. This was the same situation in my Forester and my wife's Outback, a 140 MPH speedo. Granted, the Impreza WRX is a quick car but mostly those two models share only a name and little else. In my younger and dumber days I once brought my RX-7 up to 110 on a semi-deserted straight and level stretch of road that had nice wide shoulders. I could feel the front end getting light and soft. I can't imagine my Impreza at 140 (assuming an engine mod) being at all stable.

Today's question: Why do they call it "rubbish" if the last thing you want to do is rub up against it?

One annoyance fewer. You're quantifying annoyances, therefore 'fewer'.

I see where you're coming from, but isn't it acceptable to say something like "That's one less thing to worry about"?

Incidentally, why are you on here? Don't you have songs to learn?

Why do they call it "rubbish" if the last thing you want to do is rub up against it?

From the Uxbridge English dictionary, definition of "rubbish": Like a rub.

I see where you're coming from, but isn't it acceptable to say something like "That's one less thing to worry about"?

Incidentally, why are you on here? Don't you have songs to learn?

'Fewer' is always a quantified negative difference whereas 'less' is an unquantified negative difference. If you define the quantity by a number, you should use 'fewer'.

I do. Yes. May have accidentally gone to the pub last night too, as well as go around two castles and an antiques fair. I'm doing fine with the list though!

From the Uxbridge English dictionary: 'Teapot' - Yorkshire saucepan.

'Fewer' is always a quantified negative difference whereas 'less' is an unquantified negative difference. If you define the quantity by a number, you should use 'fewer'.

Yes but my point is that while technically incorrect, it is acceptable to say "one less" in that context. Ditto "four is one less than five".

I do. Yes. May have accidentally gone to the pub last night too, as well as go around two castles and an antiques fair. I'm doing fine with the list though!

Well played, sir!

I really don't want to be the only guy with a leather strap attached to my zipper grabby thingy...I mean zipper pull.

Larry, just attach a little piece of string in place of the missing zipper grabby thingy ensuring you leave a little loop in the string, you attach the string to your trouser's button and then you buttoned your trouser, the string won't be noticed and your zip will remain close.

Just hearing of the terrible accident involving a 9 year old girl & a sub machine gun. The "family attraction" is called bullets & burgers. Really, WTF is the thinking behind this. It's beyond all reasonable thinking. I could write several pages on how society & personal damaging this perverse scenario is. Utterly indefensible, & so so sad.

Andy is annoyed at yet another display of human species blind stupidity. Of course, my thoughts are with the young family who just lost their father, but also with a 9 year old girl who's scarred for life, & a society that fails to wake up to reality rather than relying on a completely self interest based bastardisation of a right enshrined at a time when governance was unstable.

Just hearing of the terrible accident involving a 9 year old girl & a sub machine gun. The "family attraction" is called bullets & burgers. Really, WTF is the thinking behind this. It's beyond all reasonable thinking. I could write several pages on how society & personal damaging this perverse scenario is. Utterly indefensible, & so so sad.

Andy is annoyed at yet another display of human species blind stupidity. Of course, my thoughts are with the young family who just lost their father, but also with a 9 year old girl who's scarred for life, & a society that fails to wake up to reality rather than relying on a completely self interest based bastardisation of a right enshrined at a time when governance was unstable.

where was this? .

I don't want to turn this into an argument, but I could make arguments. Some people don't want to rely on entirely, or be completely beholden to their governance. A lot of things that are potentially dangerous are either useful or fun if used responsibly. Also, it really is true that "stability" can be a fragile thing.

I don't want to turn this into an argument, but I could make arguments. Some people don't want to rely on entirely, or be completely beholden to their governance. A lot of things that are potentially dangerous are either useful or fun if used responsibly. Also, it really is true that "stability" can be a fragile thing.
Not wishing to get into it either Doc, but I'm guessing we're poles apart. 9yo with a weapon of war - even for so called fun - just crazy.

Not wishing to get into it either Doc, but I'm guessing we're poles apart. 9yo with a weapon of war - even for so called fun - just crazy.

Agreed - being a Canadian, I think we side with the Brits on these things. I read the story too and was shocked and horrified that 9 year olds using Uzis is actually occuring.

I am sure that nine year old girl was simply trying to maintain a well regulated militia - which we all know is a "right" of all Americans. DUH!

Probably an inappropriate time for humor but when gun tragedies in my country occur, which they do every single day, I have to laugh to keep from crying.

JM

Back