Is this ok for a beginner kit?

frown888

Hey guys,

I've played guitar for 8 years and for the last few months or so, been dying to try out the drums. I want to get an electronic kit because of the noise factor, and also space. I just need a cheap kit (around $300-$500). For that price, i'm not expecting to get anything fantastic like a $2000 up roland or whatever, but want a cheap kit to start off with.

I was looking at this kit:
http://www.kosmic.com.au/Drums/LEGACY/6313?Legacy-DD402D-Electronic-Drum-Kit

For $399, it seems alright. I've watched reviews and everyone says its not very good, but is that because they're used to professional kits? It's pay $399 for this kit, or pay the next step which is like $900, which is a bit much at the moment.

What do you think, I need a cheap kit for starting off and seeing if I like it.

Thanks

Anything is okay for a beginner kit. You might find a splendid used old Yamaha for the same price, but you might not. You could buy this DD for $400, use it for a year, sell it for $200 and have had a decent start for just $4 a week depreciation.

But a used entry level Yamaha or Roland less than four years old will be better than this is new. The main thing is to get started and then start upgrading when you know you will keep playing.

I wouldn't waste my money on it…like the previous poster stated get a used yamaha or roland kit..you'll be much better off..

While I agree that something's better than nothing, I also agree that you'd be much better off looking for a used Yamaha kit.

Yamaha seems to have hit the sweet spot with this stuff - very nice sound sets, good quality construction, lots of nice features, Yamaha reliability, easy to get replacement components, and priced mostly in the middle range - more than Alesis, but less than Roland.

For just a little more than what you linked to, you should be able to find a good used kit. It may take some patience and some looking around, but I think it'd be worth it.

Back