Favourite Female Vocalists

Thankyou so much for listing Melanie - without a doubt the most beautiful and unappreciated voice in my lifetime.

I would add to the list also:

Karen Carpenter

Jeannie Lewis

Kerrie Biddell

Annie Haslam

i couldnt agree more, what a beautiful voice!

I gotta agree Janis was suburb, there was no one like her when she showed up on the scene & there hasn't. been anyone since.

IMHO of course LOL

Bonzolead

I'm a fan of Janis as well but she's done a lot of really bad music as well as good, very hit on miss in the discography department.

I'm a fan of Janis as well but she's done a lot of really bad music as well as good, very hit on miss in the discography department.

must've been the So Co(Southern Comfort)If you have even half the So Co she had in her body you couldn't. even stand up LOL.

"Mercedes Benz" was So Co influenced among other things for sure.

Bonzolead

I'm all over the map on this one:

Nikko Case (especially Honky Tonk Hiccup)
Billy Holiday
Gillian Welsh
Nina Hagen
Stacey Earle
Kitty Wells
Emy Lou Harris
Little Miss Higgins
Cheryl Crow
Dame Shirley Bassey
Marilyn Monroe (Happy Birthday)
Etta James

GJS

Only one mention of Anne Wilson?????? Come on!

Oh, the thread said favorite, not best!

Just kidding, but to me Ann is the best female rock singer of all time.

Roger Daltrey.

Just kidding. Aannnyywayyyy..

Marianne Faithfull, Florence Welch and Francoise Hardy are my favourites.

For me it has to be Whitney houston, her greatest song was " I will always love you!
my other favourite is celine Dion, love her song " my heart will go on"

Throwing some love to the Metal crowd:

Liv Kristine (Leaves' Eyes), Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation), Charlotte Wessels (Delain), and the female vocalist that I would not like to annoy in anyway, Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy).

Always preferred the sound of female voices, something about the musicality of it I guess.

Liv Kristine (Leaves' Eyes), Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)(...)
+1
(Although Liv - and/or other female vocalists in the metal/gothic genre use rather 'air' than 'true voice' - but it's beautiful to my ears nonetheless)
Tarja Turunen (has been mentioned - superb voice, ideal for Nightwish but won't work in every music situation)
Kari Rueslatten (with The 3rd And The Mortal)

Loreena McKennitt
Karen Matheson (with Capercaillie)
Moya Brennan (with Clannad)
Sara Brightman (selections, and not her classical stuff for me)
Taylor Mills (married to Todd Sucherman)

...and lots more which I'm unaware of unfortunately.

(PS: For my main recording project - gothic metal inspired by Theatre of Tragedy - we plan to have female vocals exclusively. I like that combination.)

Back