Practice Pads

Re: a practice pad. but which one?

The HQ Real-Feels are excellent and made from materials that mimic the action of playing on an actual head quite well. I've had a standard 6" for about 14 years and it's all I've ever needed since. I went through a few earlier pads made of black rubber and while the feel was decent, the rubber tended to deteriorate over a short time. One even melted when I left in the car on a hot day! The surface materials used in the Reel-Feels are extrmely stable - feels the same as the day I got it.

I have that remo tunable head practice pad. It's not bad, but pretty loud. I'm buying a HQ real feel 6"

radiofriendlyunitshifter said:
i use a 12" hq percussion double sided pad (http://samash.com/catalog/showitem....=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=). i quickly

realized that i could have saved a few bucks by going with the 6" instead, but it's very

nice. i used to have a remo pad, but got the hq because it was too loud. (couldn't practice quietly)

thanks for the link and cool, i think i'll go for that one. eventought, what do you think about the Hugh Cameron one.

i use a 12 inch reel feel, but i sorta regret buying it. its nice, the feel is great, but i enjoyed the pro mark pad better. it has beads at the bottom to make it sound like a snare, but its not loud at all, it just gives you a better feel.

ive got a tama TMP8S practice pad, which is basically a shell with a mesh head on it and no reso side head. It can be tightened like a regular drum, and its got a snare on it. It's a bit excessive, and quite pricey ($60), but it feels great. I personally got it for $15 from a friend who was moving and didn't want it anymore.

Sheesh, I didn't know there were so many pads. Is there really that much of a difference in them?

J.W. Drummer said:
Sheesh, I didn't know there were so many pads. Is there really that much of a difference in them?
Feel, rebound, volume, texture and durability are a few of the differences I can think of right now.

Cool, so I assume from what you stated that there are different kinds of pads for different types of workouts. Neat!

I have two, the 6" HQ double-sided and the Vic Firth 6" practice pad. Both are excellent from my experiences so far. They're both quiet and have good feel to them...

radiofriendlyunitshifter said:
i use a 12" hq percussion double sided pad (http://samash.com/catalog/showitem....=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=). i quickly

realized that i could have saved a few bucks by going with the 6" instead, but it's very

nice. i used to have a remo pad, but got the hq because it was too loud. (couldn't practice quietly)

Definetely. I used to use the loud Remo pad, but stwitched to the Evans HQ Real Feel for its quietness. Only thing is that the Remo pads feel a lot more like real drums than the gum rubber side and hard neoprene sides of the Real Feel. And definetly get the bigger sizes of practice pads than the 6 inches. The 12's are the best.

Back