Opinions on SABIAN - HH 14" Regular Hats

Chompas

I'm looking for a decent cymbal. Of course in my sight there are Sabian AA and Zildjian New Beat, but I found this model a little cheaper than the other two but I don't have any feedback.

Does someone know something about this one?

Thanks in advance.

HHs are hand hammered, K type cymbals, and are generally more expensive than A.s or AAs-- whether they're what you want is up to your taste. HHs are generally darker and funkier, A.s and AAs are generally cleaner and brighter. If you are certain you're getting a good used price on the HHs, you can always buy them and resell them if you don't like them. They should be good cymbals that you can use for anything, even if they end up being a little dark for your taste. I don't think you can go very wrong with them if the price is good.

I'm looking for an all around hi hat. This is going to be my first "serious" purchase on a Hi Hat.

As I mentioned in other thread, here in Argentina is hard to get used cymbals so I'll end up buying new.

The thing is that the New Beat and Sabian AA are 30% expensive than the Sabian HH but I could found any useful review on the web.

It's completely possible that everyone here gives their approval and you still might not like them. There's only one way to truly know if you like a cymbal and that's to get one on your set and play it in a place that you are familiar with so you can evaluate it. Your best friend right now are sound files online and return policies. Utilize the return policy. If you don't like a cymbal, return it for another pair, rinse and repeat until you can't bring yourself to return them. It may cost more for return shipping, but what choices do you have?

I'm looking for a decent cymbal. Of course in my sight there are Sabian AA and Zildjian New Beat, but I found this model a little cheaper than the other two but I don't have any feedback.

Does someone know something about this one?

Thanks in advance.

What surprises me is that you found Sabian Hand Hammered 14" hi hats cheaper than the AA hats, unless you're taking used, then anything goes including condition.

I own the Sabian Hand Hammered 14" Medium hats, which are very much like their HH Regular hats, and I like them a lot, maybe a bit more than the Zildjian New Beats. Do your best to audition any of these cymbals before you make a purchase, because there are differences in their sounds. I can't tell you what you're going to like, only what I like.

Dennis

The AA Regular hats are basically the New Beat counterpart (I have 7 pr, all very nice.) But for the last few years, I've been using HH Regular hats as my main in-town hats for gigs & sessions, just a bit sweeter than the AAs to my ear.

Bermuda

The HH hats have a little more character to them than AA. A lot of people say "darker" and I wouldn't necessarily disagree. Sometimes with AAs or A. Zildjians, I can hear some annoying high pitch overtones when the hats are soloed, especially with heavier pairings. Maybe it's just my imagination, maybe I'm nit-picking, but I think the hammering of the HHs eliminates this. Also I think they have a lower profile too.
I've been using them for almost everything for a few years now. They're my favorite hats.

Meh. Ahh. Hmm. Well. OK. I guess. Yeah.
I like HHX. And AAX.

Back