A Question For Multi-Instrumental Musicians...

YCP_MusicMan

If you play more than just percussion. Do you find yourself liking different types/genres of music depending on what instrument you are playing?

My primary instrument is percussion, but I also play piano, bass, and I sing.

If I'm playing mallets I enjoy abstract or contemporary music...
If I'm playing drum set I enjoy jazz/world/funk/fusion
If I'm playing auxiliary percussion I enjoy world music
If I'm playing piano I enjoy a more wide range of music, everything from J.S. Back to Elton John
If I'm playing bass I enjoy more rock/jam band
If I'm singing I enjoy more broadway show tunes.

What are your opinions? Do you think it is better to enjoy different kinds of music based on different instruments?

I also play guitar, bass guitar, keys and sing background vocals. As a drummer, I like playing pop/rock, world, Latin and sometimes jazz/fusion. I used to play heavy metal when I was younger but prefer not to do that anymore.

Your question in interesting because I like playing some heavy rock riffs every now and then but also like to play full chords on guitar and arrange some nice progressions. Same with keys. When I sing I like doing vocal harmonies in rock/pop so I guess I don't change too much except when I want to rock out a bit on my electric guitar.

It seems to me that if you're really serious about getting work as a musician these days, regardless of what instruments you play, then you'll want to be at least conversant in all styles of music, no?
I mean, what are you going to do? Turn down a job because you don't care for that kind of music?

Naw...

I only learned how to play guitar so I could write music that I could drum too.

Last edited:
Buddy's quote comes to mind- " There's only 2 kinds of music- good and bad".

Keep you ears wide open, and your curiosity for learning switched on. Thats my attitude and it works well for me.

Guitar wise, i like Vai-esque wank, Metal and Post Rock
Bass wise, Gotta love the Funk. And Primus.
As for Drums, i haven't really found my thing yet...
Although funk Drumming is pretty tasty.

I have tried other instruments in the past. Saxophone, piano, melodica, harmonica to name a few but was exposed to all instruments being a product of the high school band and orchestras. One gets to hear other interpretation of music while the strings, the woodwinds, the brass, et.al. play their parts. I have learned to like all kinds of music and my iPod and CD collections would bear that out. Anyone with the opportunity to take music in school should do so before budget cuts wipe these programs out, if they haven't already. I know some of the younger "rockers" may think this is "gay" but I would not trade my musical experience for anything. Just do it.

Drums: all styles i am aware of
guitar: rockabilly, blues, rockn roll (50s style)
piano: boogie woogie

that being said i only consider myself a serious drummer... the other instruments are for fun... that's why im happy to not push myself to try stuff i am not immediately interested in on my 2nd instruments.

Back