Drum mutes with a china cymbal?

Cruciex

Hey guys, ran into a bit of an issue shopping online for vic firth drum mutes... I'm in the midst of putting everything into my cart according to size by individual pad and then realized "Wait a second.... how will these work with a china cymbal?" I have an 18" Zildjian Oriental and I'm curious if anyone has tried using the same or similar style mute pads for a china cymbal before.

Playing without any mute isn't really an option for me, as the owners of the house (my parents) strongly disapprove of my playing of the drums to begin with and resent any notion I have of bringing them into the house. I used to play them at my ex-band mate's place.

Should I just go with the 16-18" standard cymbal mute? Maybe buying the bigger 20-22" one would suit it better to compensate for the dip in the center of the cymbal? I'd hate to buy these things and it being obsolete on my china cymbal. Returning things online is such a pain.

Note also I'd play it upside down for metal music rather than right side up.

If you're in doubt buy the bigger size, they can be cut down. Scraps can be used elsewhere on your kit.

Then find another place to live ...

;)

If you're in doubt buy the bigger size, they can be cut down. Scraps can be used elsewhere on your kit.

Then find another place to live ...

;)

Hahaha yeahhh. Wish it was that easy! Thanks for the help, I ended up going with the bigger size to be safe.

Back